Selling M lenses

zeroseven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Ebay will probably get you the best price out of your lenses.  Leica dealers offer lowball "deals" - if a used M lens is worth $3000 USD, they will typically offer 50-60% of that to buy it or to take it in on trade.

Unless you have a pressing need to sell, I would say hang on to your lenses.  The two times I have traded in M lenses, I was kicking my self for doing it in 6 months or less.

Have you looked athis site.   He has no shop overheads.  Peter is no longer a Leica dealer and trades internationally..  He, Red Dot, and MPB in the UK have been very fair and allowed me to effortlessly trade, settle, and move forward quickly when i needed to do so.

Edited by lucerne
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Ebay will probably get you the best price out of your lenses.  Leica dealers offer lowball "deals" - if a used M lens is worth $3000 USD, they will typically offer 50-60% of that to buy it or to take it in on trade.

Unless you have a pressing need to sell, I would say hang on to your lenses.  The two times I have traded in M lenses, I was kicking my self for doing it in 6 months or less.

No hurry at all, but our PayPal was hacked twice and when we flagged it they closed the account and won't allow us to open a new one. 😂

ok.   i understand.

call MPB or Peter Walnes for instructions how to proceed.  No travel or post offices required.   Money in the bank quickly.    Both are reliable.

Edited by lucerne

1 hour ago, lucerne said:

Have you looked a this site.   He has no shop overheads.  Peter is no longer a Leica dealer and trades internationally..  He, Red Dot, and MPB in the UK have been very fair and allowed me to effortlessly trade, settle, and move forward quickly when i needed to do so.

Do you have a link?

Thanks.

• Haha 1

Peter Walnes publishes online a list of stock and items expected soon. He has been around professionaly for many years.

His website is here.

http://www.peterwalnes.com/

He is based in theUK, but operates worldwide.

Edited by lucerne
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lucerne said:

sorry, but Its a firefoxsecurity problem.   you should be able to choose to ignore the warning and proceed.    I used Peter recently. both secure and insecure addresses work with with Chrome.

I've used Peter Walnes's site many times in the past using the Safari browser, Gordon, but the link you first gave produced the same response that David received so I suspect that the browser might be searching for information that's encrypted in a cookie that's resident on your machine only.  Just one of those things that sometimes crop up where secure links are concerned.

My browser tells me that Peter's website's security certificate is out of date too, which won't help.

Pete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is what I get:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jdlaing
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, farnz said:

I've used Peter Walnes's site many times in the past using the Safari browser, Gordon, but the link you first gave produced the same response that David received so I suspect that the browser might be searching for information that's encrypted in a cookie that's resident on your machine only.  Just one of those things that sometimes crop up where secure links are concerned.

My browser tells me that Peter's website's security certificate is out of date too, which won't help.

Pete.

Thanks.  Ive removed the site cookie in my Safari database on my Ipad.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2020 at 12:11 AM, nwphil said:

No affiliation with site/ownership/commission but FredMirandas's website sees a fair amount of Leica gear traffic, both for selling and buying

worth to take a look - seller/buyer reputation has to be earned, and it's way safer than EBay

I'm curious, how is the FM site more secure for buying and selling than eBay?  I don't doubt what you are saying and just want to learn more.  

Ray

1 hour ago, RayD28 said:

I'm curious, how is the FM site more secure for buying and selling than eBay?  I don't doubt what you are saying and just want to learn more.  

Ray

My PayPal Haa been hacked twice. They are impossible to communicate with. They decided to close my account and give me a lifetime ban, but refused to explain merely stating they were under  I obligation to offer any explanation. I fought it for 2 years. 

I'll never use PayPal again. Security is appalling. When I googled the issue, I found hundreds of people who had also experienced the same thing. 

1 hour ago, zeroseven said:

My PayPal Haa been hacked twice. They are impossible to communicate with. They decided to close my account and give me a lifetime ban, but refused to explain merely stating they were under  I obligation to offer any explanation. I fought it for 2 years. 

I'll never use PayPal again. Security is appalling. When I googled the issue, I found hundreds of people who had also experienced the same thing. 

Thanks for the info but a lot of FM transactions use PayPal. Still curios to know how FM is more secure than eBay. 

ray

35 minutes ago, zeroseven said:

PayPal IS Ebay. If ones not secure....... 

Understood, but a lot of FM sellers and buyers use PP, how is FM more secure?  Just want to understand because I’ve considered buying off the FM site. 

Ray

Edited by RayD28

10 minutes ago, zeroseven said:

It may be to do with T&C/recourse procedure... My rule of thumb was always to ask if cash on collection was possible, even if I had no intention of doing so. If they said no, I'd leave it..... 

Thanks for the information. 

Ray

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, RayD28 said:

Understood, but a lot of FM sellers and buyers use PP, how is FM more secure?  Just want to understand because I’ve considered buying off the FM site. 

Ray

It's a community built around trust and reputation  -  to be earned and maintained. Sure, as anything else, nothing is perfect, and even in-person, local transactions can go wrong.

Spammers, scammers, repeated offenders are quickly banned/barred and plenty of people paying attention and whiling to blow the whistle - Fred and other moderators try hard to stay on top things.

Often it's a bit difficult for a newcomer to buy and sell stuff there - but there are ways to overcome that, with  emails, phone calls and other ways to show having a a solid clean reputation and trustworthy behavior.

Been using the site for quite a while, and yes, once in a while there are issues ( I never had one - over 40 transactions of B&S). Bad experiences are an exception, while on EBay a norm, and yes, PayPal is just one (of many layers) of protection, also not without issues

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zeroseven said:

PayPal IS Ebay. If ones not secure....... 

Paypal and Ebay connected.    Not any more!

Paypal has separated and ebay will soon have a new primary payment partner.    Paypal (pypl) is huge Nasdaq listed company with many strings to its bow.  Ive invested because it is well placed for the potential surge in online payments.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zeroseven said:

Interesting. That's good news for me.... Hopefully will Kill PayPal, must be a massive part of their market. 

Never see Escrow anymore, that was a great system. 

Google Pay has been faultless so far for me. 

yes.  you should be able to sign up with a new transaction processor at ebay.

However, dont expect Paypal to disappear.  Its a huge company.  Have a look at their corporate website.