Selling M lenses

zeroseven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, nwphil said:

It's a community built around trust and reputation  -  to be earned and maintained. Sure, as anything else, nothing is perfect, and even in-person, local transactions can go wrong.

Spammers, scammers, repeated offenders are quickly banned/barred and plenty of people paying attention and whiling to blow the whistle - Fred and other moderators try hard to stay on top things.

Often it's a bit difficult for a newcomer to buy and sell stuff there - but there are ways to overcome that, with  emails, phone calls and other ways to show having a a solid clean reputation and trustworthy behavior.

Been using the site for quite a while, and yes, once in a while there are issues ( I never had one - over 40 transactions of B&S). Bad experiences are an exception, while on EBay a norm, and yes, PayPal is just one (of many layers) of protection, also not without issues

Good to know. I’ve seen some ads where previous customers were not shy about tagging a seller’s ad when the previous customer had a bad experience. 

Appreciate the insight. 

Ray

• 3 months later...

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'd like to offer a word of caution about selling gear to - or through - Peter Walnes these days.
See here on dpreview. The posts under the username "encar" are mine.
He's sitting on 3,500 GBP of my money and I have just initiated the legal process to get it back. Sad and disappointing.

Edited by Ecar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ecar said:

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'd like to offer a word of caution about selling gear to - or through - Peter Walnes these days.
He's sitting on 3,500 GBP of my money and I have just initiated the legal process to get it back. Sad and disappointing.

I'm very sorry to hear this, Ecar, it sounds like you've been very fair, it's very poor behaviour on Peter Walnes's behalf, and not what I would have expected from someone of his reputation from whom I've had good personal experiences over the years.

I hope you achieve satisfaction through the courts but it's a shame you were forced to sort it out this way.  Hopefully the legal process will jolt him into realising that he mustn't treat people this way in the future, irrespective of difficulties he is facing.

Thank you for letting us know.

Pete.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, farnz said:

I'm very sorry to hear this, Ecar, it sounds like you've been very fair, it's very poor behaviour on Peter Walnes's behalf, and not what I would have expected from someone of his reputation from whom I've had good personal experiences over the years.

I hope you achieve satisfaction through the courts but it's a shame you were forced to sort it out this way.  Hopefully the legal process will jolt him into realising that he mustn't treat people this way in the future, irrespective of difficulties he is facing.

Thank you for letting us know.

Pete.

Pete,

Yes, unfortunately it seems I'm not alone in this predicament. This appears to be recent behaviour on his part, so I figured an early warning on this forum may help others avoid the same misfortune. The lens was one of my two modified 50/1.1 Nikkors (which was up for sale here at one point, but with no takers).

I hope he gets back on his feet again, as he used to be a trusted dealer. But trust won't be easy to rebuild.

In the meantime, I have 20+ kg of Canon DSLR gear that doesn't see much use and that needs to go to someone who will actually pay for it...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ecar said:

See here on dpreview.

If he actually asked you if he could defer payment because of Tax issues that is indeed worrying and sounds like the guy is in deep do-do's. Shame.

One interesting fact came out of reading this - I didn't know (the late) Robert White,Peter Walnes and Grey Levett all worked together at Millers in Poole. I got  to know Robert quite well and bought all my `Leica and Zeiss stuff there until Flagstaff took over (although they still sell Zeiss and are Voigtlander importers). Through his own business efforts Robert built up a portfolio of business properties and collections of cars,motorbikes, watches. Leicas and glass mascotts that justified a  dedicated Bonhams auction of his collections as well as selling Jay Lehno part of his motor cycle collection for £6m. He then was able to donate well over £15m to the local Hospital for a cancer centre development. So at least one of the trio didn't have money issues!

Edited by pedaes
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

32 minutes ago, pedaes said:

If he actually asked you if he could defer payment because of Tax issues that is indeed worrying and sounds like the guy is in deep do-do's. Shame.

One interesting fact came out of reading this - I didn't know (the late) Robert White,Peter Walnes and Grey Levett all worked together at Millers in Poole. I got  to know Robert quite well and bought all my `Leica and Zeiss stuff there until Flagstaff took over (although the still sell Zeiss and are Voigtlander importers). Through his own business efforts Robert built up a portfolio of business properties and collections of cars,motorbikes, watches. Leicas and glass mascotts that justified a  dedicated Bonhams auction of his collections as well as selling Jay Lehno part of his motor cycle collection for £6m. He then was able to donate well over £15m to the local Hospital for a cancer centre development. So at least one of the trio didn't have money issues!

Thanks, I knew about the trio - but not about the extent to which Robert White's was a successful businessman, nor about the Bonhams auction. Interesting.

28 minutes ago, pedaes said:

I have found selling through Ffordes on commission to be good for Canon gear. The commission is 20% plus VAT. They will 'price to sell' so make sure you are happy with valuations.

Thanks again. I was thinking of sending it to mpb (if only because it might be easier for me to send them the gear within the EU than to post-Brexit UK), but Ffordes probably has that figured out as well. I'll also get it in touch with them then.

Edited by Ecar
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Danner said:

In the United States, the fredmiranda.com photo forums have an active Buy & Sell forum, where I have had good success buying and selling both Leica and Nikon gear.  It's my go-to.

I've been watching this site for a few months.  Prices are nearly always less than retail.  I've never pulled the trigger because I'm not aware of recourse in case something is not as advertised.  What are options do you have if the equipment is not as advertised?  

I agree about pricing at Fred Miranda. Seems most of them want user gear not the pristine boxed stuff, and they often try to beat you up. From time to time someone does posts something rare or expensive. Right now there is an original black paint M2 and an M6J. The offset on price though is that no one is taking a commission on the sale except Pay Pal - 3%

• 3 months later...
On 12/28/2020 at 10:52 AM, Ecar said:

I've bought from him on several occasions and used him for quotes when selling, although I've never actually sold anything to, or through, him.  Prior to seeing your post here and the thread you linked to on the Dpreview forum, I'd have said he was trustworthy and I did actually email him last week about an item he has listed on his website that I was interested in.  I did not receive a reply and after reading your experiences, it seems that something has gone very wrong with him. 

Good luck with your claim. 

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

I've bought from him on several occasions and used him for quotes when selling, although I've never actually sold anything to, or through, him.  Prior to seeing your post here and the thread you linked to on the Dpreview forum, I'd have said he was trustworthy and I did actually email him last week about an item he has listed on his website that I was interested in.  I did not receive a reply and after reading your experiences, it seems that something has gone very wrong with him. 

Good luck with your claim. 

Thanks. I'm afraid my claim will go nowhere. Just check his eBay feedback from the past month (username is arri888): looks like he's going under. Now it's not only the sellers that are not paid : it also looks like expensive gear doesn't seem to get shipped to buyers anymore. A sad ending for someone who used to be one of the most competent and trustworthy dealers around.

Edited by Ecar