Selling M lenses

zeroseven

2 hours ago, zeroseven said:

Seeking advice

Firstly, be really, really sure you want to sell them!  As David says, it is cheap to advertise here, but I don't see a lot of success, often because prices asked are too high. For a steer on value look at dealers (and take 20% off) and e-bay sold items. Condition/boxes etc. is everything, and don't be kidded by the prices asked by some 'elite' dealers. Be realistic. Good luck (if you really want to sell)!

MPB in the uk surprised me when i sold my 35mm and 50mm summarit lenses ,bought the 35mm for £1,100 and they paid £790 and the 50mm for £850 and they paid £510.

They collect the equipment,check they agree with your own valuation and pay you.

Current values will depend greatly on condition....among other characteristics. 

To a rough idea of what things sell for, search ebay completed listings (only paying attention to items that actually sold!). 

I will note that I am very reluctant to sell high value items on ebay any more....it seems like between ebay and paypal, fees eat about 10% of the sale.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some U.K. dealers sell on a commission basis, such as afforded/Red Dot Cameras I believe. Maybe worth having a chat with them. 

Hamish at 35mmc.com also sells used items - I believe on a commission basis - maybe worth having a chat with him. 

There is also a good used market on eBay with some honest buyers (such as me ;)) but their costs can be quite painful at times. 

I've often heard people begrudging ebay fees right back to the late 90's when they were much less than they are now and I shake my head in disbelief.  When you consider that ebay puts the goods you're looking to sell in front of a bewilderingly large market comprising billions of eyes in countries across the globe and therefore increases your chances of selling exponentially then surely they must be worth their fee or people wouldn't use ebay and it would wither and die.

If you think back to the pre-ebay days of trying to sell things then you were restricted to tiny little ads in the local paper, scraps of paper on notice boards, or selling to a local shop.  While there was no fee for some of the options the market they reached was pitifully small and it would take months or years to get a bite and you were often forced to sell things for a fraction of the value you felt they were worth so nowadays it very likely works out in your favour, even taking ebay fees into account.

Just food for thought.  Right, I'll crawl back under my rock now.^_^

Pete.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

MPB in the uk surprised me when i sold my 35mm and 50mm summarit lenses ,bought the 35mm for £1,100 and they paid £790 and the 50mm for £850 and they paid £510.

They collect the equipment,check they agree with your own valuation and pay you.

Thanks. They've made me an offer

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions, really very helpful 

Ebay is tricky as I can't use PayPal. My account was hacked twice, in 2008 when I flagged this PayPal closed the account and locked me out. I had to register a new name, address and card but was again hacked in 2017.same deal, they locked me out. Police, not surprisingly, weren't interested. 

Never again. 

Thanks all 👍

• Like 2

No affiliation with site/ownership/commission but FredMirandas's website sees a fair amount of Leica gear traffic, both for selling and buying

worth to take a look - seller/buyer reputation has to be earned, and it's way safer than EBay

Edited by nwphil
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, nwphil said:

No affiliation with site/ownership/commission but FredMirandas's website sees a fair amount of Leica gear traffic, both for selling and buying

worth to take a look - seller/buyer reputation has to be earned, and it's way safer than EBay

Thank you

Got a reply from WEX today who weren't even interested in making an offer.... 😱

Oh well, their loss.... 😊

26 minutes ago, zeroseven said:

Thank you

Got a reply from WEX today who weren't even interested in making an offer.... 😱

Oh well, their loss.... 😊

WEX is not a Leica dealer. Check the Leica UK site for a link to their approved dealers.

This is what I see via Firefox:

"Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to secure.peterwalnes.com. Peer using unsupported version of security protocol.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

Learn more…

This web site might not support the TLS 1.2 protocol, which is the minimum version supported by Firefox. Enabling TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 might allow this connection to succeed.

TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 will be permanently disabled in a future release."

It would be a pity for Peter if his website has limited access. Or am I missing something?

1 minute ago, wda said:

This is what I see via Firefox:

"Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to secure.peterwalnes.com. Peer using unsupported version of security protocol.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

Learn more…

This web site might not support the TLS 1.2 protocol, which is the minimum version supported by Firefox. Enabling TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 might allow this connection to succeed.

TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 will be permanently disabled in a future release."

It would be a pity for Peter if his website has limited access. Or am I missing something?

sorry, but Its a firefoxsecurity problem.   you should be able to choose to ignore the warning and proceed.    I used Peter recently. both secure and insecure addresses work with with Chrome.

Is anyone else trying to use his site.  Are you experiencing a similar problem.   what browsers are you using.

Ebay will probably get you the best price out of your lenses.  Leica dealers offer lowball "deals" - if a used M lens is worth $3000 USD, they will typically offer 50-60% of that to buy it or to take it in on trade.

Unless you have a pressing need to sell, I would say hang on to your lenses.  The two times I have traded in M lenses, I was kicking my self for doing it in 6 months or less.

• Like 2