Current Leica USA Repair Work Quality?

Daniel81

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a couple of R lenses that need some cleaning and focus ring attention.  While I have heard in the past, the Leica USA New Jersey Center was not a good place to send old lenses in for maintenance and repair, I have also heard that they are now much better.  Can people here verify that this is true?  Would my lenses be in good hands with the current Leica USA New Jersey people?

Daniel81,  Hope all is well with your photography.  To answer your question about R lens repair and maintenance, I would most highly recommend you call Don Goldberg at DAG Camera.  He does excellent work and will be less expensive than sending your gear to Leica NJ.  Yes, NJ has supposedly improved their service in the last two years, but you will get a far better response and repair with Don.  Many in this forum will attest to Don's work and excellent repair service.  When I owned R gear it always went to Don.  When I am in the states, I still send my M gear to Don when needed.  Try:  www.dagcamera.com   Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

I fully agree with LeicaR10, in the past two years Don has CLA, replaced a prism in my Leicaflex SL MOT and added a second cam to my 35mm Elmarit R lens. First class work all the way through. I did not have to wait a long time for the work to be done. In my opinion it is better to wait and have the job done correctly and by the best.

Don Goldberg (DAG) is in a league of his own, able to CLA old LTM Canon and Nikkor lenses as well as Leica RF kit. I recently sent him a 35 R Summicron the he did a stellar job on and in reasonable time. A Nikkor 5cm/1.4 LTM sent to him returned in an almost-new state. He has a collimator and will achieve results others like YYE cannot. The famed and inimitable Sherry Krauter is on in years (80's) and I'm uncertain she would still be a choice; others can comment if they've relied upon her recently.

As for Leica NJ, I had purchased a 50 Rigid from OC Camera that turned out to have serious mechanical issues. Sent it to DAG for a shot and he could not fully repair it; I don't know why, perhaps he didn't have the necessary parts. As a last desperate move before selling it off for "parts only", I sent it to Leica NJ. it was very costly and time-consuming (6+ months) but it returned in perfect shape. It had apparently been meddled with in the past by an unskilled repairer and the mechanicals ruined. The Leica tech even called me to discuss at length what was wrong and the condition of the elements; he'd even put the optical cell through their machine to read the actual MTF off the sample and advise whether it merited the effort. The helicoid and other internal part were either replaced or repaired to spec. 

I was very impressed indeed by the communications and effort put in to restore it.

As re: R lenses, I am unsure whether they will even accept them any longer. R bodies are rejected outright.  

Edited by james.liam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica USA's reputation is vastly, vastly improved lately. And DAG has a great reputation.

Near me is Youxin Ye, who is superb, and is used by Miami Leica as well, and that's a big vote of confidence.

Youxin Ye
16 Fairview Road
Canton, MA 02021
U. S. A.
781-830-9141
www.yyecamera.com