Sold my M9

Shameetman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, ianman said:

I've seen a few similar comments here and I really don't understand. If you have to use your old lenses on the M10 to get the look you liked on the M9 that you miss.... why get an M10?? Or did I misunderstand?

There are also many things I don't miss from my M9:  the poor ISO capabilities, the body thickness, the clunky shutter sound etc. By putting older lenses on a more modern camera, I get the best out of both worlds.

It's not exactly the M9 look, but I also find the Mandler look very appealing. 

• Like 1

Not an M9 but after about ten years of use and over 80,000 shots I exchanged my M8.2 for an M10-P.
Also two analog Leicas and five lenses had to go to get a reasonable price for the very expensive M10-P.
But I had waited long enough and kept my M8.2 because of the sensor problems on the M9 and the for my eyes worse visible focus peeking of the M-240.

Since I have been using the M10-P I haven't wasted a thought on the M8.2 any more.
I'm happy using my M lenses again without that crop factor of the M8, without UV/IR-cut filter, but with the pleasant possibilities of higher ISO ranges, live view and the additional electronic viewfinder.

The only point I complain about is why Leica couldn't have built the M10 about ten years earlier?🙂

49 minutes ago, evikne said:

There are also many things I don't miss from my M9:  the poor ISO capabilities, the body thickness, the clunky shutter sound etc.

ok, that makes sense I guess. Personally, I cannot feel any difference between my M9 and MP in terms of thickness and am not particularly bothered by the admittedly shutter or re-cocking.

I notice that another member reacted with a "laugh" on my previous post. Bizarre as my question was a genuine interest and not meant to be humourous of offensive in the slightest, and I apologize if it came across that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ianman said:

I notice that another member reacted with a "laugh" on my previous post. Bizarre as my question was a genuine interest and not meant to be humourous of offensive in the slightest, and I apologize if it came across that way.

I noticed that too, and I also got a "laugh" on my post, although it wasn't meant to be humorous either.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, evikne said:

There are also many things I don't miss from my M9:  the poor ISO capabilities, the body thickness, the clunky shutter sound etc. By putting older lenses on a more modern camera, I get the best out of both worlds.

It's not exactly the M9 look, but I also find the Mandler look very appealing. 

Size and shutter sound are somewhat important, but M10 files are not any special. Not as good as FujiNoFilm or even Olympus M43 rendering, they are just not distinguishable CMOS camera files.  I see no reason to overpay for M10 while my M-E 220 is working with new sensor. 

I had 28 2.8 III and the Mandler name was very visible on black and white darkroom prints. On M-E 220 it was good lens. But no magic.

IMO "old lenses on digital" excitement seems to be due to lack of access to darkroom prints. It is tofu instead of beef. IMO.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

IMO "old lenses on digital" excitement seems to be due to lack of access to darkroom prints. It is tofu instead of beef. IMO. 

Well, I don't like beef, but I do like analog photos! I am just a little too young (or lazy) to embark on that route. 😉

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, ianman said:

ok, that makes sense I guess. Personally, I cannot feel any difference between my M9 and MP in terms of thickness and am not particularly bothered by the admittedly shutter or re-cocking.

And for others the M10 platform benefits might include a better VF (larger opening, higher magnification and better eye relief), 2m frame line distance optimization (vs 1m for M9), more robust build with better weather sealing, and better reliability (so far it seems, including no corrosion issues). 

Jeff

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, evikne said:

Well, I don't like beef, but I do like analog photos! I am just a little too young (or lazy) to embark on that route. 😉

Nothing to do with age.... you are lazy :P

Seriously, you should give it a go, there's a 99% chance you'd love the whole process!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Darkroom printing is something I don't miss at all, but I do love my 1941 35mm Elmar, 1960's Summilux et. al.  on the M digital, and you may have hit the nail on the head regarding darkroom prints and their rendering.  The appeal is a lens that delivers an image with both good clarity and enough acuity to allay the digital sensor bite, call it smooth rather than harsh.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ianman said:

Ah, sorry, I thought your post was a humourous jab in response to my post yesterday regarding "endless, redundant and pointless "which is better" discussions".

Don't know what you're referring to but, no, I was being serious about other reasons someone might prefer the M10 platform, even when shooting with old lenses.  I thought your laugh was intentional given prior posts. Communicating on the internet.

Jeff

I bought a little compagnon to my beloved M9. To be honest apart from the resolution the cameras are very similar. The color rendition of the Hasselblad is very close to the M9 and in post I get very similar results. The MF rendering is not that much of a difference, the 45 of de X1D gives the same debt of view as the 35 Lux and the max aperture set at 3,5 shows similar bokeh as the Lux at 2,8. 

I’m happy that I kept my M9 and it will still be my #1. Its just great to have an beautifully made alternative next to it with higher resolution, nice lcd and high iso. There are many adapters that allow you to use Leica glass. I’m curious to get one and try my 90 cron for portraits. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on the X1Dii, a fantastic machine.  Alas with the M-to-XCD adapter you have to use the electronic shutter which necessitates a tripod. Ming Thein has a nice writeup about it.   The SL2 would be much better for M glass...  And the S is a logical step up for Leica lovers.  Alas it does not take the M lenses at all.  But the SL2 takes both S and M ones!  

• Like 1

Leica M9P comparison

Edited by Shameetman
  • Like 2

Hasselblad X1D

• Like 2