Sold my M9

Shameetman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I almost sold my M9(p) in order to fund an M10. I feel so ashamed that I changed my mind in the last moment.. In one way I can't stand the camera anymore, the thinner body of the M10 attracts me and I think the sound of the shutter of the M9 is annoying. Browsing thru all the amazing images at my computer and after reading peoples disappointment with the M10 I changed my mind last minute.

The M9 files are amazing. Just wish Leica could offer an upgrade to the M9 of a slimmer body, an upgraded shutter and servicing for many years to come. An upgrade program like you had with pre M and early M's. 

Edited by Shameetman
  • Like 2

I'm very happy with my m9, I've never compared shutter sounds so that doesn't bother me. Love the m9 files. Can't stand cameras which are overloaded with features (that's why I moved away from Fuji). I'm lucky that I got the sensor replaced for free just before they started charging. The only bit that bugs me is that sometimes it freezes up if you try to take too many frames too quickly, maybe a memory upgrade offer would be good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shameetman said:

Today I almost sold my M9(p) in order to fund an M10. I feel so ashamed that I changed my mind in the last moment.. In one way I can't stand the camera anymore, the thinner body of the M10 attracts me and I think the sound of the shutter of the M9 is annoying. Browsing thru all the amazing images at my computer and after reading peoples disappointment with the M10 I changed my mind last minute.

The M9 files are amazing. Just wish Leica could offer an upgrade to the M9 of a slimmer body, an upgraded shutter and servicing for many years to come. An upgrade program like you had with pre M and early M's. 

When I switched from the M9 to the M240. I was disappointed at how different (flat) the files looked. Nevertheless I soldiered on for four years till I got the M10 P. Image wise, I immediately felt I had come back to the M9.

Unfortunately Leica has moved on from the M9 so I doubt there will be any further software or hardware offerings. Within a year Leica will introduce a new model (M10R?) which will surely depress M10 prices. Maybe wait till then to see if switching bodies becomes irresistible?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shameetman said:

In one way I can't stand the camera anymore, the thinner body of the M10 attracts me

I use the M9 and MP (film) together very often. The M10 is I understand the same size as the MP. I can't honestly say that I have ever been bothered by the slightly larger size of the M9. Sure, a smaller, quieter would be nice but those features pale into insignificance compared to the image quality.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I'm also not a fan of the oversaturated colours.

Neither am I... but I just don't see that in my photos, unless I'm missing something. I've just glanced through my flickr selection again and cannot see a single colour photo taken with the M9 that seems oversaturated. Maybe it's because I've always underexposed with my M9.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ianman said:

Neither am I... but I just don't see that in my photos, unless I'm missing something. I've just glanced through my flickr selection again and cannot see a single colour photo taken with the M9 that seems oversaturated. Maybe it's because I've always underexposed with my M9.

I realise mine is not a common opinion! I was relieved to find the more subtle M240 colours - I found them easier to manage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I realise mine is not a common opinion! I was relieved to find the more subtle M240 colours - I found them easier to manage.

Well you certainly not the only person I've seen mention it. But really I hesitated myself in my previous post to call them subtle... I was going to write almost pastel.

Of course the lenses used will influence the colours and I mostly use "older" lenses. Perhaps the combination of older designs and underexposing results in the pleasing (IMO) colours. The DNG interpreter will also influence the colour rendition to some extent. And I don't use the ubiquitous Adobe applications or Capture1.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shameetman said:

changed my mind last minute.

Very wise. If you can’t stand the M9 as a machine, but do like its results it might be a better idea to keep it alongside a secondhand M10. I reckon that buying a secondhand M10 costs just as much as trading your M9 for a new M10.

• Like 1

M9 sensor is boosting red color saturation, it seems. I can't see another colors to have the same boost. I have enough M-E 220 files as desktops slide show mixed with CMOS cameras files now. Difference in clarity is visible. 

M9 cameras were offered in 2019 as refurbished. And M-E 2200 was made until end of 2015. Hopefully Leica will be able to support them for next five years or so.

• Like 2

I loved my M9, it is a forever camera except it developed sensor corrosion and I traded it in for a SL as I had an M240 also. If I had to do it all over again, I would have kept the M9. While the M10 is slimmer I felt the M9 was easier to carry, it was lighter weight and balanced well. Unfortunately my eyes don’t see the subtleties of color differences between bodies, could be aging, often times reducing saturation in post anyway. The M9 has been exceeded technically but photography is not always about technical,  rarely am I limited by the camera.   The upgrade path is every present and has a strong pull, but there’s something about those M9 files that was special. 

• Like 3

I’m so happy with the decision to keep it. Sometimes you have to (almost) lose something to appreciate what you have. 

I agree with you Darylgo that the M9 is well balanced and the lower weight is great. It reminds me of my M4, that feel somehow easier to carry then my M7. Also the fact that the M9 isn’t new anymore is comfortable because you can just use it without being scared to scratch it. 

Kwesi, I hope you’re right with your speculation of a price decrease of the pre owned M10. If they drop bellow 3500 I will still give it a try and use it next to my M9. It’s also nice to explore the capabilities of a new camera. 

• Like 1

The difference between m9/240 colours can be very pronounced (I have both) yet other times be very close

M240 often seems more orange saturated, m9 can push red (it’s quite easy to clip the red channel on the 240)

which editing app you use makes a massive difference of course

if each camera is left to decide for itself then the 240 often returns a darker exposure and higher kelvin value than the m9 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 1:51 PM, Shameetman said:

Kwesi, I hope you’re right with your speculation of a price decrease of the pre owned M10. If they drop bellow 3500 I will still give it a try and use it next to my M9. It’s also nice to explore the capabilities of a new camera. 

They’ll get that cheap if you wait long enough

look how cheap 240s are these days.. like the m9 and m8 before it.. all available at far, far less than someone paid new for them

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robert M Poole said:

There's a rumour that the colour rendition was based on that but it is contested I believe.

Ah, so many years* and variants of KC it can’t possibly look like KC, but it probably looks like some particular examples...

(*KC shots look very different from one another between say the 1960s and 1980s and between say K10 and K65)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, evikne said:

There are many things I miss from my M9. But time goes on. Now I mostly use older (Mandler) lenses on my M10 to make up for the somewhat clinical expression of the M10 files.

I've seen a few similar comments here and I really don't understand. If you have to use your old lenses on the M10 to get the look you liked on the M9 that you miss.... why get an M10?? Or did I misunderstand?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1