Sold my M9

Shameetman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, M9reno said:

The deeper reds on the face (lips, etc) are classic M9 tells, especially in underexposed areas. The Hasselblad seems more neutral, but I like both.

Yes, the M9 saturates the reds a bit more. The Hasselblad saturates orange more. I still prefer the M9 colors, but the difference is not as big as with many other CMOS cameras. What I like about the Hasselblad files is that they deliver strong and deep colors. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 1:38 PM, jaapv said:

Isn’t the relative colour saturation a simple matter of calibrating the cameras properly, which is part of any colour-managed workflow? 

Could be, but so far I have not managed to duplicate M9 colors with other cameras. Unlike many others I'm a fan of saturated colors and I'm not aiming for a clean true to real life color image. I like the saturated reds of the M9 a lot. When I compare the files of the Hasselblad to the ones of the M9 the behavior of the sliders in Lightroom is very different. With the M9 I can create colors which I can't duplicate with the X1D, but I can also get great color with the X1D that I can't get from the M9. 

I realize that the M9 is unique and that I should enjoy it as long as possible. Like certain film stocks it will eventually die, but there must come other nice things in return. 

• Like 2

I started out with a 6x9 box camera.  My father and I developed the film in a tray in the bathroom, put the negatives in contact frames in the windowsill for prints. I was seven. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I started out with a 6x9 box camera.  My father and I developed the film in a tray in the bathroom, put the negatives in contact frames in the windowsill for prints. I was seven. 

Wow. That’s before color TVs were invented!

😃

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Last night, I shot both my M9-P and M10-P, had the Noctilux on the 10 and the Canon 0.95 on the 9.  I really noticed the difference in the shutter noise. I also appreciated the electronically lit frames since I was shooting at night.  Went through 200 pics this morning. The colors of the M10-P are slightly more muted than the M9-P.  I am not going to get rid of the M9-P, It's a wonderful machine!  Just a little older!  Like me...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay now the time has really come, I sold the M9. After traveling I really felt for the X1D. I use it without a strap. The grip is amazing and I carry it like a handbag. So no annoying strap. In that way it feels even more portable than the M9. 

Also the IQ is amazing and I no longer desire to shoot the M9. I have amazing memories and photographs and have been very happy to use it. For now my go to camera is the X1D and for the Leica experience I will shoot film. I know people say another camera doesn't make you a better photographer, but I tend to disagree. I'm more inspired than before. 

Happy shooting!

https://flic.kr/p/2jrZVrA

9 hours ago, Cobram said:

I'm in the same boat.

M-E 220 is a very nice camera but Leica message about sensor discontinuation forced me to look at other options on the market. 

Mine had the 2 gen sensor, so I was not worried for that part. But the fact that Leica slowly is running out parts made me realize that it's better to sell now and grab 2k, instead of barely using it and risking losing my money. So from an economical perspective I understand you. 

Edited by Shameetman

I don't understand. Leica said explicitly that full service will continue. They still service the M8 (2006) bar one or two parts that are unavailable. So you sold your camera for unavailability of the one part that was unlikely to break down...

And even if a sensor replacement were still possible, the cost would be about equal to the value of the camera and would make little sense.

My main reason for selling the M9 is that it's unlikely that I would use it a lot. So for something that would collect dust and risks of having costs on repairs, it's just better to sell it for a decent price. I know it's unlikely that the second gen. sensor would suffer from corrosion. But the repair guy of Amsterdam Camera Repairs recently had an issue with a second gen. sensor that cracked. His camera is useless now. 

It's not that I want to bash on Leica. The M9 has been my favorite camera for many years and up to recently I couldn't picture life without it. I've alway had good experiences with Leica's customer support. Next to that my camera has been a great purchase. I bought it used for 3000 euros, sold it now for 2000 euros five years later. So I've spend only 200 euro a year and it brought me more than 20.000 shots.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 12:47 PM, Robert M Poole said:

I'm very happy with my m9, I've never compared shutter sounds so that doesn't bother me. Love the m9 files. Can't stand cameras which are overloaded with features (that's why I moved away from Fuji). I'm lucky that I got the sensor replaced for free just before they started charging. The only bit that bugs me is that sometimes it freezes up if you try to take too many frames too quickly, maybe a memory upgrade offer would be good.

I should not tell you how you should do, but personally I think Fuji cameras have a great mechanical user interface with many of their cameras, but some others of their are more "normal".

The Fuji cameras I really enjoy the simple users interface on are the X-E3 and the X100V (even if I have not bought the latter yet due to buying more Leica and Zeiss lenses for my M camera :) ).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 8:36 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

I realise mine is not a common opinion! I was relieved to find the more subtle M240 colours - I found them easier to manage.

Totally agree.

It is also easy to fix the oversaturated colours in M9 in post (see for example https://youtu.be/R80mtgW9pag?t=412) on either M 240 or M10, for some one that prefers that (not me, and not generally).

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 1:38 PM, jaapv said:

Isn’t the relative colour saturation a simple matter of calibrating the cameras properly, which is part of any colour-managed workflow? 

For in camera JPEG it is dependent on the software that Leica has but into the firmware of their camera. It decides on which "recipe" the camera should follow when it creates (develops) the JPEG's from it's raw sensor data. 

If you import the RAW files (DNG in this case of Leica) to you computer, it is Lightroom and Capture 1 (or what other RAW converter software you use) that do the same thing. Usually they as default tries to mimic and use the same recipe as the camera manufacture does in that specific camera models in-camera RAW development (see previous sentence above).