12cm f/4.5 Summar

pgk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

33 minutes ago, Ambro51 said:

The Aristophot itself.  Essentially, a 4x5 Camera with no movements except a long focus draw.  I have the shutter and an 80mm Summar (but not the “rest”).  The Aristophot not only lacked movements, but was designed with a true Leitz mentality to be complete plane and rock solid.  •••••• No Doubt would look amazing in a Lexus version :•>.    

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That is lovely. I am in the process of setting up a standard bellows camera for 4x5 use with a Leitz Compur Elmar lens from 1934. The lens is 10.5cm f4.5 and it was originally intended for medium format cameras made by Welta and others. There is no record of it ever being used for a Leitz or Leica Camera. The good news is that I have tested it and with a makeshift lens board and recommended bellows extension it will give full 4x5 coverage on the focus screen. I have a proper lens board on its way to me which should allow me to finalise the camera. The Compur shutter should allow the use of modern emulsions without messing around with filters and the like. The Prontor shutter shown above should do the same task.

My camera will have full(ish) movements and can take modern 4x5 film slides.

l will post pictures when I have the ‘complete’ camera. It will be a large format ‘Leica’ for a fraction of the price of an S3.

William

• 2 months later...

I recently bought a 120mm F4.5 Summar, having read about them and seen a few pictures.

As mentioned earlier here it has the diaphragm scale as 2, 4, 6, 12, 24, 48, 96. Assuming 2 = F4.5 then 48 would be about f36 which is what I used for a test picture. I made my standard plywood lens panel and put my homemade 5x4 back on an Edwardian half plate camera. Results were sharp enough.

i had to make a lenscap as well to use as a “shutter”

I will post three pictures separately as they are a bit too big to upload together.

Edited by Pyrogallol
  • Like 2

Copy of a darkroom print.

• Like 2

Paul's 12cm f4.5 Summar is now mine. I have got a board that will enable me to mount it on my Intrepid 4x5 camera. I already have a Leitz 10.5cm f4.5 rim set Compur Elmar mounted on that camera. I have not started to use it yet as my 4x5 career is on hold until I can get post-Covid access to darkroom facilities as I don't have one at home . I will have quite a bit of film shot before then using two dial set Compur Tessars on Contessas (116 and 120) and another rim set Leitz Compur Elmar (5cm) on a Nagel Vollenda -127 film.

The film rolls, 120, 116 , 127, 35mm and sheets (4x5) will be 'stacking over Heathrow' until I get back into a darkroom. I love the Compur mounts, dial set and rim set. There was more to Leitz than Leica and Zeiss and others in Germany were doing exactly the same thing.

William

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had in my Fontenelle collection a series of Summar, including the 120mm one. Here are the images I found.

• Like 5

• 3 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently got one of those lenses as well:

It's a really nice lens with great rendering and more than decently sharp when stopped down a bit:

The bright tools for the job

Dangerous game

Major scale

I'm a bit confused by the aperture scale though: 2, 4, 6, 12, 24, 48, 96

So it doesn't correspond to f-stops, right? But it's also not really a logarithmic scale...

Does anyone know why? And has this been used on many Leitz lenses?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, simple.joy said:

I'm a bit confused by the aperture scale though: 2, 4, 6, 12, 24, 48, 96

These are Stolze numbers, explained below:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I have been busy with a 12cm Summar as well.  Recently I have been doing more close-up work using my Visoflex 1 and bellows.  Although my (coated) 1943 13,5cm Hektor is okay, I have wondered if I could/should use something more suitable.  To this end I bought a coated 12cm Summar, which came with an adaptor to fit it to a #1 Compur shutter.

Now, bearing in mind that the Viso 1 bellows can be used with the 12.5cm Hektor I hoped that the Summar would also be able to focus to infinity okay - which it is!  The thing to do would be to have an adaptor ring to enable the Summar to screw directly into the large ring on the bellows:

The ring was turned from some light alloy bar left over from mounting a Dallmeyer 10x8 Rapid Rectilinear lens into a Compound shutter!  The inner thread is an RMS 32 tpi thread and the outer the Leica 39mm x 26 tpi.  I had some difficulty getting the inner thread to fit due to the black paint on the lens' thread, but all came right in the end.

When fitted to the bellows I can still get infinity focus:

To make the bellows lens hood fit, I machined some nylon to form a stepped sleeve.  This has a saw cut in so that the clamping screw will still do its job:

All in all I am very pleased with how it has turned out. I now need to get photographing!

Susie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Susie said:

I bought a coated 12cm Summar, which came with an adaptor to fit it to a #1 Compur shutter [...] The inner thread is an RMS 32 tpi thread and the outer the Leica 39mm x 26 tpi. 

Great work, I wish I had your skills! Do I understand correctly that your 12cm Summar has an RMS mount but came with an adapter for M36x0.75 (aka Compur #1)? Was this adapter made by Leitz? I always thought this lens had a native M36x0.75 mount (without adapter). And I thought RMS has 36 tpi, not 32. Anyway, enjoy this interesting lens!

Edited by Studienkamera

17 hours ago, Studienkamera said:

Great work, I wish I had your skills! Do I understand correctly that your 12cm Summar has an RMS mount but came with an adapter for M36x0.75 (aka Compur #1)? Was this adapter made by Leitz? I always thought this lens had a native M36x0.75 mount (without adapter). And I thought RMS has 36 tpi, not 32. Anyway, enjoy this interesting lens!

Hello,

No great skill - I just twiddle the knobs!  Sorry for any error and confusion with my earlier post, but I was typing from memory. 

The thread on the Summar miked up as 1.421" x 36tpi, although without the paint it could drop to 1.417" which is 36mm.  I am sure, though, that the thread is 36tpi Whitworth form and not 0.75mm metric form.  I have thread gauges for both types.  I assumed that the 36tpi indicated the RMS, my error.

The adaptor ring that came with it is the same Leitz one as others here seem to have, the 120.150 ring, which externally is M40x0.75 (not M36x0.75 - but it is easy to slip up with all these numbers!) for the Compur/Prontor #1 shutter

Just so we can keep tabs on these, mine is serial number 28247 and is in the same scratched on style as Dunk's.  Looking at the figure '2' I am sure it was the same person doing the scratching!

Susie

Edited by Susie
  • Thanks 1

Am 24.4.2020 um 17:57 schrieb thomas_schertel:

Mr. Claus Walter sent me some informations to the Summar and allowed me, to post them here:

"Soeben ist mir im Leica-Forum aufgefallen, daß es ein Thema rund um ein Summar 120 gibt. Da kann ich etwas dazu beitragen. Es ist bis 9x12 verwendbar, nicht nur im Nahbereich.

Anbei ein paar Seiten aus einem Katalog. Die Objektive gab es am Anfang nur im Messing, so ab 1920 nur noch in schwarz."

My translation: I have seen in the forum, that there is a theme dealing with the Summar 120. I can contribute something. It is useable um to 9 x 12, not only for close focus. Attached are some pages of the catalogue. The frist lenses in the beginnig were in brass, since 1920 in black.

yours sincerely
Thomas

Hi Thomas, I know I am answering on an older post, but perhaps you have full scans of this brochure? Best Michal

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Michal Kosakowski:

Hi Thomas, I know I am answering on an older post, but perhaps you have full scans of this brochure? Best Michal

Unfortunately I have no Scans. Maybe you can ask Mr. Walter. He is a photo dealer in Tübingen Germany. I do not know, whether I am allowed to give you his email address. But Google finds it. He is a very kind person

Edited by thomas_schertel

On 11/30/2023 at 12:27 PM, Michal Kosakowski said:

Michal, I will send you some material which may be useful, as I think that I know why you are asking this question. I can also put you in touch with Claus Walter of Tubingen. I worked with him some years ago on the translation of an article from VIDOM for the LSI Viewfinder magazine. Claus is Treasurer of the German Historical Society and the article was about the Kochmann Korelle K camera which had a Leitz lens option. He is also a Leica dealer.

William 

Edited by willeica

Thank you William, I appreciate every bit of Information you might have,

Michal

vor 10 Stunden schrieb willeica:

Michal, I will send you some material which may be useful, as I think that I know why you are asking this question. I can also put you in touch with Claus Walter of Tubingen. I worked with him some years ago on the translation of an article from VIDOM for the LSI Viewfinder magazine. Claus is Treasurer of the German Historical Society and the article was about the Kochmann Korelle K camera which had a Leitz lens option. He is also a Leica dealer.

William 

On 4/17/2020 at 4:25 PM, michali said:

Paul go to this French website : Leica Lens Serial Nos.

You'll see "Objectif" below this is "Numéro de série :" enter the lens serial no. in the box next to this & then click on the box below "Interroger la base".

It should give you the date of manufacture. 

Best

Mike

It is on the head on this web site.....