Visual problem on m9m on high iso

olegn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a strange line across the hole image when using high ISO (1600+). It doesn't make me upset but i'm probably going to sell this camera so interested to know why it happens

Example (the line is vertical and is in the second part of the image):

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

P

This line is on image everytime on high ISO and never on low ISO. Please explain my this issue.

P.S. Also today instagram did some strange thing to my photo when posting. Maybe someone can explain it to me too. This one is M10 monochrome.

This happened after i post the picture and there no anything like that on the original picture. I tried to post it multiple times and the issue still there.

Thanks

Edited by olegn

Ummm - he did say M9M (as in Monochrom) and posted in the Monochrom forum.

As to the line - lines are generally the result of one stuck or hot pixel (if light) or dead pixel (if dark) that contaminate a row or column of pixels on readout.

Leica can map away (program the camera to ignore) such pixels. I believe you can even send them an original .DNG file showing the line, and they can email you a personal firmware fix to remove the line - you could check on that.

The Instagram problem just looks like a scrambled or corrupted .jpg file. This can happen any time a picture is copied from one place to another, although it's not common.

Delete it from Instagram and try reposting it.

Edited by adan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Sorry to say, but if you want 1600+ ISO M9 not the camera for you.

Not true. I frequently shot mine at 5000 ISO with no problems. As Adan pointed out, you likely have a stuck or hot pixel. He's also right about the fix. Leica did this for my M10 and the whole process only took a few days. The line is going to be there even at lower ISO settings. It's just that it becomes more evident at a high ISO.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a used M9M in February.  After a week with it, I noticed a similar problem.  I had 2 lines in my shots, which were only visible when pushing the ISO above 1600 in dark spaces or raising the exposure by more tha. 1.5 stops in post.  I confirmed with Leica NJ that these were in fact dead rows of pixels. I ended up sending the camera back to B&H and ended up grabbing a M10M while in Berlin recently.  I would definitely try and sell the camera, though any buyer has the right to know about the sensor problem.  

• Like 1

So I called in Wetzlar and they told the problem can be fixed only if I bring camera to them.    

PS. The Instagram problem with m10m files continues to sometime happen. I think it is because of high resolution, but don't sure. Don't have time to make some tests for better understanding. But it strange that I see no one else had the same problems.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/12/2020 at 10:55 PM, adan said:

Leica can map away (program the camera to ignore) such pixels. I believe you can even send them an original .DNG file showing the line, and they can email you a personal firmware fix to remove the line - you could check on that..

I spent almost a week in February with Leica tech support working in my M9M with 2 rows of dead pixels.  After sending them multiple DNGs, they finally claimed that they can only offer the sensor remapping service for M10 series cameras.  So as a result I returned the M9M.  

On 3/28/2020 at 8:43 AM, Anakronox said:

I spent almost a week in February with Leica tech support working in my M9M with 2 rows of dead pixels.  After sending them multiple DNGs, they finally claimed that they can only offer the sensor remapping service for M10 series cameras.  So as a result I returned the M9M.  

That is weird...

• Like 1

It is weird and I was patient with Leica support as I really wanted to keep the M9M.  But, once they said that they couldn't help with my issue, other than replacing the sensor, I returned the camera.  Still miss it's qualities and quirks, but the M10M is a decent replacement 😃

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 3:43 AM, Anakronox said:

I would try talking with a Leica dealer.... They will know for sure because they deal with more issues like that for customers...

• Like 1

It’s all good now.  I bought the M9M used from B&H.  They agreed to take it back and even extended my return period by about 3 weeks so a colleague could carry it back to the States.  I kind of miss it, but the M10M is such a beautiful camera that longing is fading!

• Like 1