Experience with 50 APO on film?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, andrew01 said:

I don’t see anything in the pictures above that justifies a £6500 standard lens.   I don’t think it makes much sense using uber high end lenses on 35mm film, which is a compromised format if chasing technical perfection.  Better to just get a Hasselblad or Rolleiflex.

Of course, the price is not justified.

I still like the lens on film, though 🙂 And I enjoy every minute, I'm using it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, andrew01 said:

I don’t see anything in the pictures above that justifies a £6500 standard lens.   I don’t think it makes much sense using uber high end lenses on 35mm film, which is a compromised format if chasing technical perfection.  Better to just get a Hasselblad or Rolleiflex.

I doubt a large format user would agree with you.

I have no experience of the summicron 50 apo but I wouldn't need any justification to buy one if I could afford it!

Edited by Ouroboros

13 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

I doubt a large format user would agree with you.

I have no experience of the summicron 50 apo but I wouldn't need any justification to buy one if I could afford it!

Of course large format is end game if you are after technical perfection for static subjects, but even MF is stunning in comparison to 35mm and can be used for similar genres (especially TLR’s). The difference going to a larger film format is night and day whereas the difference between the previous generation summicron and the latest uber expensive version on a Leica film camera is splitting hairs.  For the same money you could buy a nice Haselblad setup AND a nice Linhoff Technika.

Leica just continue to push their luck on the pricing of standard 50mm lenses. I am sure there will be a double APO super version for £12k in 2 years.  

I shot apo with MP on HP5+

it’s just a safer route compared to my 50 lux asph 

though the apo was another useful addition to my m10 too

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, earthphoto said:

As far as I know, APO are made to reduce colour fringing on digital cameras. There should not be any fringing with film, because the film layers are already correct.

Just my 2 cents.

Actually, not...

If you scan the negative in using a drum scanner whose resolving power is effectively above 3200 ppi, you will be able to see the chromatic aberration whether the lens has been labelled as APO or not. APO-tagged lenses facilitate to reduce the chromatic aberration, not to remove.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by odeon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/2/2021 at 8:59 PM, andrew01 said:

Better still maybe, and for even less money, a Fuji GW690 'the Texas Leica' which will make a 50mm APO and 35mm film combination redundant, or at least make the point that 35mm film is nowadays used for something other than resolution when far better and cheaper alternatives are possible. I could imagine a roll of Technical Pan and a tripod would be more of a fit with the APO, and worthy of expending creativity on, but that much money for gains (if any) that nobody other than the photographer can see or cares about, no way.

• Like 1