Jump to content

My M11-P experience


waltb

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 21 Minuten schrieb Al Brown:

The actual important part is that it varies EU country to EU country. Local variations apply.

so what you're saying is that posting this regulation had no additional value and did not at all back up the 45 day rule you mentioned?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, insomnia said:

so what you're saying is that posting this regulation had no additional value and did not at all back up the 45 day rule you mentioned?

In the EU country I buy a lot of my gear from (Slovenia) the 45 day repair or replace rule is obliging by law. I did possibly erratically presume this applies to all EU countries, but apparently not so. In my post there are country by country specifications, so the answer to your question is yes, it did back up the rule but unfortunatelly not uniformly for the entire EU area.

Edited by Al Brown
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Markey said:

Wow .... I was only looking at an M11 yesterday and planning to hack in my BPM4 to buy.

I`ll stick with my 246 after reading this . 

Can`t believe Leica are letting this situation continue .

How foolish of them.

I've been waiting two years for Leica to sort this out, only to be disappointed.

I'm sticking with my M10-R and M10M, which have both been perfect. 

We'll see what the M12 brings, but I am losing faith.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2024 at 3:59 AM, Kiwimac said:

Might not be in NZ. We actually still have at least one discontinued lens in stock here due to low sales and I picked up a 35 Apo Summicron off the shelf when elsewhere people were waiting ages. 

That’s because New Zealand has an extreme cost of living crisis. Not many people afford food, rent or mortgage payments and a Leica due to decades of terrible policies that favour the rich and wealthy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sebben said:

That’s because New Zealand has an extreme cost of living crisis. Not many people afford food, rent or mortgage payments and a Leica due to decades of terrible policies that favour the rich and wealthy. 

True

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2024 at 9:59 AM, Herr Barnack said:

We are supposed to buy TWO $9200 USD M11-P bodies in the hope that ONE of them will be functional when we need it??  I don't think so.  If both of them crap out, are we supposed to buy #3 to cover for the first two??  Wrong.

Well, I acquire at least two of any camera (even bulletproof Nikon Fs in the 1970s) as soon as I can (backed up my first M4-2 in March 2001 with an M4-P by Sept.). Because even a 2-week wait for servicing doesn't cut it for me - I live to shoot (and shoot to live).

I do have four M10s at the moment (two original vanilla, one -P, one -M). But that's overkill - even though three were purchased at deep used discounts to try out. I've just been too lazy to dispose of the excess yet.

But the current M11/Leica-service situation is beyond all reason, and I am as disgusted with it as any unhappy M11 owner. "There but for the grace of Bog...." - could have been me.

Edited by adan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, adan said:

Well, I acquire at least two of any camera (even bulletproof Nikon Fs in the 1970s) as soon as I can (backed up my first M4-2 in March 2001 with an M4-P by Sept.). Because even a 2-week wait for servicing doesn't cut it for me - I live to shoot (and shoot to live).

I do have four M10s at the moment (two original vanilla, one -P, one -M). But that's overkill - even though three were purchased at deep used discounts to try out. I've just been too lazy to dispose of the excess yet.

But the current M11/Leica-service situation is beyond all reason, and I am as disgusted with it as any unhappy M11 owner. "There but for the grace of Bog...." - could have been me.

It is a given that having a backup camera is a good idea, even for amateur photographers. 

It is also beyond all reason that 27 months after the release of the M11, buyers are still having $9200 USD cameras come out of the box that are dysfunctional.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2024 at 8:20 AM, sebben said:

That’s because New Zealand has an extreme cost of living crisis. Not many people afford food, rent or mortgage payments and a Leica due to decades of terrible policies that favour the rich and wealthy. 

Based on living here 20 years I’d be left with no option but to disagree with you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Kiwimac said:

Based on living here 20 years I’d be left with no option but to disagree with you. 

Having lived here for all my 65 years (bar 8 years, 30 years ago), I do think we’re at a crisis point where the cost of living is higher than most other places, and average incomes lower.

The McDonald’s Big Mac Index for NZ is $5.01, which puts us at 17th

The average annual income is US$49,090, which is 24th

8th in house price to income - ie, there are only 7 countries where huose prices are more expensive, in relation to incomes.

We have the 16th highest cost of living globally

Tried to find a cost of living comparison based on incomes, but I think you get the picture.  It would be cheaper for me to hire out my home in Auckland, and rent in France, Italy, Germany or pretty much anywhere else in Europe.  I love traveling to Europe - everything seems so much cheaper, and if I billed my time in Euro …

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t find it particularly bothersome and it’s certainly possible to earn plenty if you’ve the right skills although I have to say that relying on the same basic economic model of sheep, milk and tourism that worked well in 1950 suggests a considerable lack of strategic thinking on the part of government for about 50 years. 
 

There’s provision in the Australian constitution for NZ to join the federation and in all honestly we really should because I can’t see any other way out of the dead end the politicians have sent us down. I find that an unpopular suggestion but as I’ve pointed out in discussions elsewhere, pride won’t pay the nation’s bills. 
 

It’s a very fine place to take photos however. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

Based on living here 20 years I’d be left with no option but to disagree with you. 

Yeah. Good for you. All I can say is that after being born in New Zealand and leaving after 25 years I have managed to accomplish things that would have been impossible if I had stayed and I’m not the only one. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

Based on living here 20 years I’d be left with no option but to disagree with you. 

Sorry to say this, but New Zealand would be even less known than Fiji if it were not for the Lord of Ring. It's a lost place that has been a tandem to Australia

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rollei35 said:

Sorry to say this, but New Zealand would be even less known than Fiji if it were not for the Lord of Ring. It's a lost place that has been a tandem to Australia

Quite right.  It gives me and many friends great pleasure when maps are printed with NZ left off, and also when people think we're in Australia (after they realise we're not in Switzerland).  When asked, I invariably say NZ is to the West of Australia.

If only Abel Tasman and James Cook had kept their mouths shut - "Nothing to see here.  Move on."

  • Haha 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

I don’t find it particularly bothersome and it’s certainly possible to earn plenty if you’ve the right skills although I have to say that relying on the same basic economic model of sheep, milk and tourism that worked well in 1950 suggests a considerable lack of strategic thinking on the part of government for about 50 years. 
 

There’s provision in the Australian constitution for NZ to join the federation and in all honestly we really should because I can’t see any other way out of the dead end the politicians have sent us down. I find that an unpopular suggestion but as I’ve pointed out in discussions elsewhere, pride won’t pay the nation’s bills. 
 

It’s a very fine place to take photos however. 

The west-side of the West Island welcomes Kiwis, don't know about the east-side of the West Island....

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, sebben said:

Yeah. Good for you. All I can say is that after being born in New Zealand and leaving after 25 years I have managed to accomplish things that would have been impossible if I had stayed and I’m not the only one. 
 

 

We accomplished them before moving!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2024 at 1:07 PM, waltb said:

I bought an M11-P in January. Loved the camera. After almost 3 months the shutter release button stopped working correctly. Suddenly had to press way harder to trigger the shutter.
Went back to the store I bought it from, they returned the camera to Leica.
After 2 weeks I call and e-mail Leica Wetzlar with 2 questions. (The call gets cut off multiple times so I just e-mail.)
How long is the repair going to take. No answer. (Store told me it could take up to 10 weeks, which is longer than I had the camera in my posession)
Can the camera just be replaced since it's less then 3 months old. No.
Can I get a loaner for the duration of the repair? Reply: Only professionals get a loaner.
I am a professional and I do make my living with photography. No reply.

And now, because the camera was sent through the shop, I was told they will no longer update me directly and all communication needs to go through the shop.
From the quote they received the whole camera needs to be taken apart to fix the shutter.
Repair printed circuit of top plate
Repair printed circuit of imageboard
...
So far this has been a very frustrating experience. Thank god I still have my m6 and sony r5, but I had expected some more support.
Just wanted to share my experience..

Ah, just read this and related to my own experience. I think this has answered my question as to what to do with the errant camera!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...