LEICA APO 90-280 F2,8/4 vs PANASONIC 70-200 F2,8

anrotil68

I don't think the 70-200 f/2.8 is available to the general public yet. Last I checked, B&H says it'll be available Jan 16. I was considering the same choices that you have mentioned. What, for me, tilted the decision towards the 70-200 was the fact that I can use a 2.0 teleconverter and go up to 400mm. If Leica introduced a teleconverter, or a longer zoom - different story altogether.

I opted for a mint used 90-280, before tariffs bumped US prices on new gear (and now affecting some used gear accordingly). The Lumix wasn't available, and my print tests with the Leica were superb.  Also, with the SL2, the focus clutch mechanism on the Panasonic limits use of back button autofocus, which I occasionally find useful. 

More here...

Jeff

5 hours ago, Artin said:

I had a brief few minutes with the 70-200 at Provision (a show here in Toronto put on by the local retailers ) There is a considerable difference in the IQ between the two wide open at maximum aperture, but there is a considerable difference in price as well. I would try to see if you can get a chance to test the Panasonic and see if it works for you or not. The SL glass is magnificent there are hundreds of samples on this forum. 

I think I would dispute that ....... image quality (and I have both) is indistinguishable except in the extreme peripheries where the 90-280 wins at wider apertures. 

The problem with the 90-280m is that extra 80mm. Focal length wise it is too short to be ideal for wildlife, but it is too damn big and heavy to carry around as an occasional longish zoom. Plus there is ...... and probably never will be, any teleconverters. 

Optically I doubt the Lumix 70-200 f2.8 will be any advantage over the f4 apart from the extra stop ..... and with 6 stops of stabilisation to play that is mostly negated except for extreme circumstances. So what are you getting for all the extra size, cost and weight ? ...... shallower DOF wide open and that's about it.... oh and apparently one more stop of stabilisation if used on a Lumix S1/S1R. 

Having said all that ...... if I had the extra 3cm required in my backpack and could find something to dump to avoid yet more weight I'd be very tempted .......

Edited by thighslapper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is more than just 4 MP. 

CL offers better IQ than SL2 in APS-C mode : lower noise (1.5 stops advantage) and slightly better dynamic range. 

So if you also need full frame, SL2 is better obviously. But if you intend to use it primarily in APS-C mode. CL is better, lighter and cheaper. 

So you can choose between these setups 

• SL 90-280mm f/2.8-4 = SL2 : 90-420mm f/2.8-4 on the SL2. CL 135-420mm f/2.8-4
  • S Pro 70-200 f/2.8 = SL2 : 70-300mm f/2.8 on the SL2. CL : 105-300mm f/2.8
  • TC 1.4x + S Pro 70-200 f/2.8  = SL2 : 100-420mm f/4 on the SL2. CL : 150-420mm f/4
  • TC 2x + S Pro 70-200 f/2.8  = SL2 : 140-600mm f/5.6 on the SL2. CL : 210-600mm f/5.6
  • S Pro 70-200 f/4 = SL2 : 70-300mm f/4 on the SL2. CL : 105-300mm f/4
  • TC 1.4x + S Pro 70-200 f/4  = SL2 : 100-420mm f/5.6 on the SL2. CL : 150-420mm f/5.6
  • TC 2x + S Pro 70-200 f/4  = SL2 : 140-600mm f/8 on the SL2. CL : 210-600mm f/8

70-200 f/2.8 with bunch of TC is more versatile. But IQ will suffer. 

90-280 is probably more convenient : no need to deal with TC. 

I have yet to see the Panny 2.8. I have the f4 and the SL90-280.

Unlike some other I do see a difference between the two lenses I have. The 90-280 outperforms the 70-200 I have wide open. They get closer toward f8. This is with serious pixel peeping.

I do not doubt some have a 70-200 that matches the Leica. I think (guess) there may be some sample variation in the f4 Panasonic lenses. I compared them on a Panasonic body. Have yet to do so on the SL2.

The 70-200 I have is still a fine lens and when weight is a priority I might take it instead. Although I am also tempted to get rid of the Panasonic and put my R80-200 into service for when I need a lighter lens and get a 135mm prime (Sigma) for the IQ.

Gordon

Also own 70200/4.0 Pana and 90-280Leica.

The  Pana seems a good lens but the IQ from the Leica is even more brilliant.

I cant imagine how to handle a big tele zo0m on a leica CL other than putting the lens on a tripod or for occasional use.

I use the 70200 if I want a smaller lens and dont need 200-280 range. I feel it is more adequate to carry. However I feel I get rewarded by IQ if I carry the 90280.

4 hours ago, tom0511 said:

Also own 70200/4.0 Pana and 90-280Leica.

The  Pana seems a good lens but the IQ from the Leica is even more brilliant.

I cant imagine how to handle a big tele zo0m on a leica CL other than putting the lens on a tripod or for occasional use.

I use the 70200 if I want a smaller lens and dont need 200-280 range. I feel it is more adequate to carry. However I feel I get rewarded by IQ if I carry the 90280.

I use the CL with the 105-280    R without any problem. And it does not have OIS. No tripod needed. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Artin said:

Can anyone guess what is Japp’s favourite Leica ?  Lol ... I actually like it too played with it for the first time this weekend at the local dealer. It would make a nice travel companion if I did not have the M240 filling that role 

Wrong guess :lol:

1.MM1,

2. M9,

3. CL (daily camera)

Sold as redundant: M240

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

You assume wrongly

Ok. I tried using my 90-280 @280, IS turned off and using magnification to focus. IMO, without IS the image jumps around way too much to be able to focus reliably.

27 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Ok. I tried using my 90-280 @280, IS turned off and using magnification to focus. IMO, without IS the image jumps around way too much to be able to focus reliably.

All it takes is a steady hand ;) And a bit of training - I have been using long lenses on unlikely cameras since 1988. Try using a 400 on an M4 with Visoflex3 - if you don't hold it steady it will droop on the prerelease-lag, you'll be taking photographs of paws only :lol: And I cheat with a shoulder pod from time to time. ;)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jaapv said:

All it takes is a steady hand ;) And a bit of training - I have been using long lenses on unlikely cameras since 1988. Try using a 400 on an M4 with Visoflex3 - if you don't hold it steady it will droop on the prerelease-lag, you'll be taking photographs of paws only :lol: And I cheat with a shoulder pod from time to time. ;)

And when using monster lenses on the CL, a bean bag refilled with fresh coffee beans. The aroma of fresh coffee beans from my bean bag helps keep me awake for those very early morning outings  😴.

Carl Zeiss 300mm APO-Tessar f2.8 &  2X CZ tele-converter on the CL via Novoflex CY-L adapter = 900mm equiv. 35mm format.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, michali said:

And when using monster lenses on the CL, a bean bag refilled with fresh coffee beans. The aroma of fresh coffee beans from my bean bag helps keep me awake for those very early morning outings  😴.

Carl Zeiss 300mm APO-Tessar f2.8 &  2X CZ tele-converter on the CL via Novoflex CY-L adapter = 900mm equiv. 35mm format.

Waiting for the result(s)... ;)

• Thanks 1