MM1 has landed!

T25UFO

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Back in July Jono Slack wrote an article about refurbished M9 and M9P cameras available in many different leather colours and he mentioned that the MM1 might be added to this program.  I had the original MM1, which eventually succumbed to the corroded sensor problem and Leica offered a good price to part exchange for an MP 240, so I went that route.  I've since regretted that so when the opportunity came to purchase a refurbished camera in a leather and finish of my own choosing, I jumped at the chance.

A Monochrom should be black chrome and black leather, right?  Well, maybe, but I really wanted something different and there were 36 leather colours to choose from.  I resisted pink or purple, but decided that the more interesting leather colours look better on a chrome body and after changing my mind almost on a daily basis I chose dark red, or boysenberry as stated on the Leica colour chart.  It goes well with chrome and I also decided on no red dot plus the added Leica script on the top plate.  Oh, and an extra battery as well - these batteries are in very short supply in the UK.

Michel Razafimahefa was very helpful, a real pleasure to deal with, and the long wait ended today when UPS delivered.  Nice to see the original Monochrom leather strap included and the real icing on the cake was a camera with just 114 shutter actuations!  Battery is charging as I write this . . . .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, T25UFO said:

Back in July Jono Slack wrote an article about refurbished M9 and M9P cameras available in many different leather colours and he mentioned that the MM1 might be added to this program.  I had the original MM1, which eventually succumbed to the corroded sensor problem and Leica offered a good price to part exchange for an MP 240, so I went that route.  I've since regretted that so when the opportunity came to purchase a refurbished camera in a leather and finish of my own choosing, I jumped at the chance.

A Monochrom should be black chrome and black leather, right?  Well, maybe, but I really wanted something different and there were 36 leather colours to choose from.  I resisted pink or purple, but decided that the more interesting leather colours look better on a chrome body and after changing my mind almost on a daily basis I chose dark red, or boysenberry as stated on the Leica colour chart.  It goes well with chrome and I also decided on no red dot plus the added Leica script on the top plate.  Oh, and an extra battery as well - these batteries are in very short supply in the UK.

Michel Razafimahefa was very helpful, a real pleasure to deal with, and the long wait ended today when UPS delivered.  Nice to see the original Monochrom leather strap included and the real icing on the cake was a camera with just 114 shutter actuations!  Battery is charging as I write this . . . .

Congratulations and happy shooting.  I just sent an email to see if Leica has any more in stock.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, johnwolf said:

T25UFO, is this part of the Leica M9 refurbished sale program? If so, would you send the link or contact info? Thank you.

Edit: I found Michel's email address, so I should be all set. 

John

Yes, this is part of M9 refurbishment program.  It started with M9 and M9P cameras, then the Monochrom was added.  I phoned Michel in October to provide credit card details and he had completed around 80 orders with maybe another 60 on the waiting list.  Not sure how many are left and I haven't seen any other Monochrom cameras - other people have posted in the M9 section.  Just to confirm his email:

Michel.Razafimahefa@leica-camera.com

Don't expect a quick reply - he is working flat out to complete existing orders.  Might be a better idea to phone him - he speaks perfect English!

Silver MM1 is difficult to get.  Your silver is probably the only one that Michel Razafimahefa was able to get.  The rest are all black.  A refurbished with only 114 shutter actuations is also rare.  Most were in thousands.  Enjoy!

On 11/14/2019 at 5:11 AM, T25UFO said:

Congratulations, T25UFO, beautiful camera.  Would you (or anyone) mind indicating the cost in Euros that Leica is charging for one of these?  Thanks in advance.

58 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Congratulations, T25UFO, beautiful camera.  Would you (or anyone) mind indicating the cost in Euros that Leica is charging for one of these?  Thanks in advance.

Hi Chuck,

The cost of the Monochrom is €3,500 including the German rate of VAT, which I think is 19%.  If you live in the EU there is no other duty to pay; outside the EU you should get 19% off, but you may have to pay import duty.  I guess that depends on where you live.

I paid an additional €200 to have the Leica script engraved on the top plate, so cost was €3,700 in total.  I guess you could shop around and find something cheaper, but then you wouldn’t have a unique camera built to your spec and with all new components plus a 1 year guarantee.

My camera is in absolutely perfect condition with just 114 shutter actuations and Michel confirmed it is the only chrome Monochrom in existence in this leather colour. 

Hope this helps . . .

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2019 at 12:10 PM, johnwolf said:

Thanks again, T25UFO. I just heard back and confirm what you wrote. They now have black only, so you lucked out. 

I'm still wrestling with this option (MMI black) vs. a used M10. 

John 

Just wait for the M10M.

Edited by james.liam

On 11/15/2019 at 6:10 PM, johnwolf said:

Thanks again, T25UFO. I just heard back and confirm what you wrote. They now have black only, so you lucked out. 

I'm still wrestling with this option vs. a used M10. 

John 

The B&W conversions from the M10 are very difficult to distinguish from the MM1 images.

16 hours ago, james.liam said:

Just wait for the M10M.

Nah. I'm mostly committed to my M6 and BW film, so the cost of an M10M doesn't make sense. But I do miss digital sometimes and got on the list for a refurbished MM1. Seems like a great opportunity at a good price. 

John  

Edited by johnwolf

14 minutes ago, johnwolf said:

Nah. I'm mostly committed to my M6 and BW film, so the cost of an M10M doesn't make sense. But I do miss digital sometimes and got on the list for a refurbished MM1. Seems like a great opportunity at a good price. 

John  

A digital Monochrom is an endless roll of B&W film!