Best settings and how to foucs for portraits

activeuk

Hello,

With Summicron 50mm, it's way better to rely on the RF focussing which is quicker than using the rear LCD or Visoflex.

For this you may have your eyesight correct or corrected to see clear the discrepency in the focussing patch.

That is THE way to use Leica M anyway ...RF focussing 😉.

If not right at first, you may gain some experiences with practice, so just practice a lot.

4 minutes ago, lykaman said:

Who buys a Leica M without knowing the basics?

I’d like a dollar for every forum post by someone coming from another system, maybe having lusted for an M for years, but never having tried a RF camera of any type, let alone an M. The FAQ is there for a reason.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, lykaman said:

Who buys a Leica M without knowing the basics?

Does it matter? If you can't offer advice or be positive, it may be better to not post at all.

We were all first timers once... I had a number of times when the lens cap was left on.

Edited by ianman
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, activeuk said:

Just got my  m10-p and  Leica M 50mm F2 Summicron

what are the best settings for porttaits do you use foucs peaking

The viewfinder does not have focus peaking, you'll only find it in the EVF and LCD, which are not the focusing methods that the camera was designed for.

There are no "settings for portraits" The camera assumes user input, and will only give its best when the photographer is in control.

OK. What focal length are you using for portraits? What light, studio or natural? Static portraits from a tripod or informal candids?

5 minutes ago, ianman said:

Does it matter? If you can't offer advice or be positive, it may be better to not post at all.

We were all first timers once... I had a number of times when the lens cap was left on.

Yes, It Does Matter & don't be so aloof.. (we've all shot with either no film, or cap on) 

18 minutes ago, ianman said:

Exactly.... so why make such a negative and unwelcoming comment to begin with?

I'm just amazed that anyone would buy an M + M fitting lens and not know how to focus, the first thing most people do is unpack, fit lens, Focus.  Manual Focus is one of the core attributes of the M range,, L

8 hours ago, lykaman said:

I'm just amazed that anyone would buy an M + M fitting lens and not know how to focus, the first thing most people do is unpack, fit lens, Focus.  Manual Focus is one of the core attributes of the M range,, L

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/301823-looking-to-get-into-the-m-system/

Activeuk is asking to get into M system ...

So let's help him 😉.

• Like 3

Visoflex will give you the same set up as Sony R7 and it is very accurate with focus peaking. But RF is also very accurate and much more fun to use than EVF. In addition, it is the fundamental of M system. For me after I got used to RF focus, I rarely used LV and EVF except for macro. 

9 hours ago, lykaman said:

I know you are being creamed here but I agree. 

Wild to think people make such a purchase and have no idea on the basic structure behind the camera. 

Anyway, just my two cents.

Edit: my apologies, just read he is looking at getting a M series. My advice would be to go to your local Leica sales rep and express interest. They will likely give you a loaner camera and lens to borrow to see if you like the system (you will).

Edited by maxfairclough

15 hours ago, activeuk said:

Just got my  m10-p and  Leica M 50mm F2 Summicron

what are the best settings for porttaits do you use foucs peaking

Welcome to the forum!

The 50/f2 is a great lens for portraits.  I prefer shooting at max aperture for headshots so that distracting backgrounds are blurred. But for environmental portraits I usually shoot at 5.6 so as to get a sense of the location also.Regarding focus peaking or not, I prefer to focus using the rangefinder. It is very accurate and even more importantly it helps me to compose better by showing what is just outside the frame. I hope this helps.

In very general terms I have found that the type of portraits I make with a 35mm have their center of interest around 3-4 meters away, and with a 50mm around 5-6 meters away. So in an environment where I want to work fast I will set my focus on that basis. Otherwise I will just focus on a frame by frame basis.

My opinion on the irrelevant and judgmental comments above are that no user on the Leica forum should feel the need to post those. We're better than that and we should demonstrate good tone at all times. Whoever asks for help or guidance does so for a reason. If you can help then please do so, if not then hold your tongue and move on to the next topic.

• Like 5

second try! I seem to have screwed up my response above:

Welcome to the forum!

The 50/f2 is a great lens for portraits.  I prefer shooting at max aperture for headshots so that distracting backgrounds are blurred. But for environmental portraits I usually shoot at 5.6 so as to get a sense of the location also.Regarding focus peaking or not, I prefer to focus using the rangefinder. It is very accurate and even more importantly it helps me to compose better by showing what is just outside the frame. I hope this helps.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Per P. said:

In very general terms I have found that the type of portraits I make with a 35mm have their center of interest around 3-4 meters away, and with a 50mm around 5-6 meters away. So in an environment where I want to work fast I will set my focus on that basis. Otherwise I will just focus on a frame by frame basis.

My opinion on the irrelevant and judgmental comments above are that no user on the Leica forum should feel the need to post those. We're better than that and we should demonstrate good tone at all times. Whoever asks for help or guidance does so for a reason. If you can help then please do so, if not then hold your tongue and move on to the next topic.

thank you mate