Street Portraits

Almizilero

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A while ago I got out of my comfort zone and started to take street portraits.
I am still a bit hesitant to do "proper" street photography, so getting the permission up front helps me with that (apart from the part where I have to approach people in the first place, that is very much not me).

I usually do some street photography when I'm abroad (London, Marseille), but here in Germany, I always feel like people are a bit more wary of people with cameras and taking pictures without permission.
So that's what I do, I ask people for their portrait. There are still many (SO many) who don't want it, but now and again I'm lucky. It also depends on my personal mood and how I come across, this is something that can't be forced. Sometimes I don't get a picture in days, sometimes five in a row.

So I start this thread to keep me going through 2024, I hope to post a picture a week at least. To start things of, here are some favourites from 2023.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Almizilero:

So that's what I do, I ask people for their portrait. There are still many (SO many) who don't want it, but now and again I'm lucky. It also depends on my personal mood and how I come across, this is something that can't be forced. Sometimes I don't get a picture in days, sometimes five in a row.

this is awesome! I know the rest of the world does not understand how this works in Germany, so this is hard to understand for most

Now that I have a M10R, I realize how much fun street photography can be. I really want to get into portraits as I love taking them so much, but damn to bite the bullet and start asking people... 

Great photos, like them all! 

• Like 1

Some last minute Christmas shopping in Bend, Oregon.

• Like 9

vor 12 Stunden schrieb scrollt:

this is awesome! I know the rest of the world does not understand how this works in Germany, so this is hard to understand for most

Now that I have a M10R, I realize how much fun street photography can be. I really want to get into portraits as I love taking them so much, but damn to bite the bullet and start asking people... 

Great photos, like them all! 

Thank you! You should really try it! It is hard to get into it, but that's mostly in ones head. From my experience, it's really easy to find excuses why NOT to ask. They're on the phone, wearing headphones, talking to their friend, ... But mostly it's really just excuses. After a while, you get a feel for people who might go along with it. The ones who already have a smile on their face. The ones in unusual clothing who might appreciate that you notice that they put some effort in there looks. Many might still say no, which is always a hit to the ego. But what I can say after about 6 month of doing this: No one was ever nasty about it. As many NOs as I got, people were always very friendly about it!

vor 10 Stunden schrieb fotografr:

I think your results are fabulous. The second and third images, in particular, are outstanding--but I very much like them all. 

Thanks you so much! Those are both from the same day. I had a real blast that day, I Think I asked about 10 people and 8 went along with it, which just felt amazing!

I'm still working on the framing, though. Those to are among my favourites, but I kinda feel that "street portraits" should have more of the streets in them. So I'm experimenting with closing the aperture more and If I can, I usually try to get several shots of each person from close up to full body. But often, these half body shots are the ones I like most.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Aram Langhans:

Some last minute Christmas shopping in Bend, Oregon.

Oh that is just lovely!

Edited by Almizilero

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, David Cantor said:

This may help, it is made by Sean Tucker but the star is Gabrielle Motola.

David

The link is missing- here it is.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2OnpjbncQ  If you or anybody following this thread would like to receive my tips for approaching strangers, please send me a private message with your email address. For what it’s worth, I would say that people say yes, take my photo 9 times out of 10 if they are approached in the correct way.

David

• Like 1

vor 51 Minuten schrieb David Cantor:

The link is missing- here it is.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2OnpjbncQ  If you or anybody following this thread would like to receive my tips for approaching strangers, please send me a private message with your email address. For what it’s worth, I would say that people say yes, take my photo 9 times out of 10 if they are approached in the correct way.

David

That video is great! For the German speakers, I recommend this one as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD3AvYEYSp0&pp=ygUVMTk3MiBzdHJlZXQgcG9ydHJhaXRz

I would also encourage anyone to ask David about his insights, he has some great stuff to offer. That helped me out a lot, even though you have to adapt it to your own situation, of course! Thanks again, David!

Edited by Almizilero
  • Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Almizilero:

Thank you! You should really try it! It is hard to get into it, but that's mostly in ones head. From my experience, it's really easy to find excuses why NOT to ask. They're on the phone, wearing headphones, talking to their friend, ... But mostly it's really just excuses. After a while, you get a feel for people who might go along with it. The ones who already have a smile on their face. The ones in unusual clothing who might appreciate that you notice that they put some effort in there looks. Many might still say no, which is always a hit to the ego. But what I can say after about 6 month of doing this: No one was ever nasty about it. As many NOs as I got, people were always very friendly about it!

I don’t have any excuses anyway, I live in Berlin and there are plenty of places where I could give it a try. 
Do you hand out some kind of card so that the people know how contact  your for the photos later? 

will definitely watch the videos later 👍

Edited by scrollt

vor 2 Stunden schrieb scrollt:

I don’t have any excuses anyway, I live in Berlin and there are plenty of places where I could give it a try. 
Do you hand out some kind of card so that the people know how contact  your for the photos later? 

will definitely watch the videos later 👍

I do have cards, but strangely, no one ever got in contact with me through that. Which is a bit sad, because I usually try to get two confirmations before I post a portrait. Permission to take the picture and then I send it to them and ask them if it's ok to use. The cards don't really seem to work, but since 95% of the young(ish) population seems to have Instagram, it's much easier to exchange that, because then I can contact them. And I get a couple new followers ;) 

• Like 1

These are all at the very least quite good, but the last is my favorite - it's lovely.  I think it works better mostly due to the subject being off center, with more open space in front of her (the side she's facing).   The others seem variably a bit too static to me due to their being centered.  If you like my comment, I encourage you to avoid the habit of shooting when focused (centered), and instead half press the shutter button to hold the focus, reframe slightly, and press the shutter button the rest of the way down.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Am 29.12.2023 um 23:46 schrieb sandro:

You started a very interesting thread here and I very much like your street portraits. Could you tell us which camera and lens(es) you were using for these great photos?

Lex

Thank you very much. All of the images above were shot with the M10 and Summilux 50 V2. The first three probably wide open, after that I started closing the aperture a bit to get more of the streets into my street portrait ;)

Am 30.12.2023 um 15:26 schrieb stuny:

These are all at the very least quite good, but the last is my favorite - it's lovely.  I think it works better mostly due to the subject being off center, with more opens space in front of her (the side she's facing).   The others seem variably a bit too static to me due to their being centered.  If you like my comment, I encourage you to avoid the habit of shooting when focused (centered), and instead half press the shutter button to hold the focus, reframe slightly, and press the shutter button the rest of the way down.

The last pic wasn't mine, but I think I get what you mean. It's been almost a year now, but I feel I'm still new to the rangefinder thing. But yeah, I already feel that I want to A) step further back to get more environment into the shots and B) recompose after focus. I also like the close ups, but I'd like to try and get both from each person.

Here the last portraits from 2023:

M10 + Summilux 50 V2

M10 + Summarit 35/2.4

Edited by Almizilero
  • Like 8

Asking is good and street portraits is a perfectly valid street medium. You can ask, you can be surreptitious or you can just blast on through and take the occasional verbal. I do all three, but generally asking leads to a happier day... especially in places like Budapest, Paris, Berlin. In London there is no legal right to privacy on the street (unlike the other three cities) so at least you have the law on your side.

vor 48 Minuten schrieb newtoleica:

Asking is good and street portraits is a perfectly valid street medium. You can ask, you can be surreptitious or you can just blast on through and take the occasional verbal. I do all three, but generally asking leads to a happier day... especially in places like Budapest, Paris, Berlin. In London there is no legal right to privacy on the street (unlike the other three cities) so at least you have the law on your side.

I can only comment on London from my experience, but yeah, that's a great place for candid photos! (Most) people there just don't care or notice what you're doing. And they're probably used to cameras everywhere thanks to all the tourists (like me 😄). I want to try out Berlin, I imagine it might be a similar experience. Even though my overall feeling is that people in Germany are overly aware of their privacy rights and wary of people with cameras in general. That's why I prefer to ask.

So far, the new year started well in the Street Portrait department. I got a couple of pictures (but most I can't show yet) and tried a new way of approaching people.

Most german photographers that I follow on Instagram and Youtube seem to work with a prepared pitch that they just repeat for every person. That never really worked for me that well. Recently I watched a video by Hugh Brownstone and his way really clicked with me. He basically made people sincere compliments, telling them what he found interesting about them. I tried this and it feels very natural to me, more than some memorised pitch. It's much shorter and makes them feel good from the start. For example, in the case of todays picture, it was just “That is a really cool scarf, do you mind if I take a picture?” Simple as that. Some people will still ask what the picture is for, but then I can still repeat part of my pitch instead of giving them the full monologue to begin with.

M10 + 35 Summicron ASPH at F/4 (if I remember correcly)

• Like 4

On 1/2/2024 at 10:13 PM, Almizilero said:

Thank you very much. All of the images above were shot with the M10 and Summilux 50 V2. The first three probably wide open, after that I started closing the aperture a bit to get more of the streets into my street portrait

All of your images are great, and they look so crisp and sharp. Do you mean Summilux 50 ASPH v2 or is it the pre-ASPH v2? The crispness probably also comes from the processing. Do you use any particular profiles or presets?

vor 2 Stunden schrieb evikne:

All of your images are great, and they look so crisp and sharp. Do you mean Summilux 50 ASPH v2 or is it the pre-ASPH v2? The crispness probably also comes from the processing. Do you use any particular profiles or presets?

It's the pre-ASPH, a wonderful old lens form around 1967, according to the serial number. Found it at a Leica dealer and immediately fell in love with it.
I build a Lightroom preset for this project, but it doesn't do much besides some colour grading, tone curve and a little bit of grain. The lens is pretty sharp in the center even wide open and does add a little glow.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's still quite cold here in Leipzig, so here's another picture with a bit warm scarf.

Edited by Almizilero
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

It's been a while ... For one reason or another, I couldn't bring myself to approach strangers lately. Even when I berated myself for it afterwards, the next day, it was the same. Just was somehow blocked. Today, I finally managed to get going again. Hopefully, I'll keep at it this time.

Interestingly, I first took a candid shot before approaching her for a portrait.

M10 / 75 Summarit

• Like 3