CL Sensor Cleaning

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, the dreaded sensor spots are now visible in certain circumstances.  Whilst I can remove them in post processing, I would rather have the dust spots removed. Could anyone advise on the best and safest method (I’ve only ever used a blow-brush), or would it best to have them removed professionally:  If the latter, would the camera need to be returned to Wetzlar or can a dealer carry out the cleaning; I am UK based.

Thanks

Try a search on the forum - lots of threads. I think there's also a FAQ - if I could find it!

I use a (Rocket) blower first and most commonly - gets rid of the worst stuff. Then I'll use the Arctic Butterfly brush if needed (followed by the blower again). If those fail, I'll do a wet clean with swabs and non-aquaeous solvent. I tried water-based cleaner once and it just added streaks.

Each time, I check with a LED-illuminated loupe, which is very effective at showing up the dust.

Dust spots show up best at small apertures. I can go months without seeing them, then I'll shoot a bright sky at small aperture and my sensor suddenly looks like a Jackson Pollock. This is perfectly normal!

1 hour ago, stevegaskin said:

Could anyone advise on the best and safest method (I’ve only ever used a blow-brush)

Blower brushes do not blow strongly enough in my experience. After having broken a sensor cover glass with a LensPen kit, i now use a Visible Dust Zeeion Blower on all my sensors. Suffices in most cases. Otherwise i use Eclipse Sensor Swabs but only when the blower is not efficient enough to remove visible dirts. 

I have a small blower bulb and "Sony type" gel stick by Eyelead in my camera bag. They are compact and weigh rather nothing. It takes no time at all - quick blow - check -  didn't work?  - stamp - done. Twenty seconds to a couple of minutes. I haven't used a sensor swab in years.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

42 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I have a small blower bulb and "Sony type" gel stick by Eyelead in my camera bag. They are compact and weigh rather nothing. It takes no time at all - quick blow - check -  didn't work?  - stamp - done. Twenty seconds to a couple of minutes. I haven't used a sensor swab in years.

This is this stamp action which broke my admittedly very thin (Kolari Vision) sensor cover glass with the LensPen. I have no experience with Eyelead but i will never use a stamp on a sensor anymore. BTW i was using Eclipse sensor swabs in the past and i should have kept them according to Kolari Vision. Never too late to learn...

Yes, that may happen -very rarely- if you use a gel stick the wrong way. One should loosen it by wobbling. not by pulling.

That is also why I specified the Sony Type. It has been designed with less adhesion to protect fragile cover glass.

So far, a year and some on now, all my CL has needed has been three-four cleans with a Giottos Rocket puffer. Until I put a Skink pinhole on, of course. Then it's set up a "clean filter" in Lightroom on one frame and copy-paste it to all of them. :D

8 hours ago, jaapv said:

Hi Jaapv, could you please explain what you mean by 'stamp'; it sounds rather brutal!

Thanks

Edited by stevegaskin

Just received an email from Leica UK: they offer two free sensor cleans a year at Leica Mayfair. The downside (if you see it as one): they want you to book online (so they can get your details for marketing) and perhaps you can't just walk in off the street as I've done in the past. I won't be taking up the offer now I'm happy to do it myself.

5 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Just received an email from Leica UK: they offer two free sensor cleans a year at Leica Mayfair. The downside (if you see it as one): they want you to book online (so they can get your details for marketing) and perhaps you can't just walk in off the street as I've done in the past. I won't be taking up the offer now I'm happy to do it myself.

That's perhaps the service that all Leica dealers should offer; travelling to London for a sensor clean even pre-booked is not practical for me unfortunately, but thanks for the info'.