Why... do I have such a fear of cleaning the sensor...

schimmey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used to be this way about my sensors and always sent them out to the store to get them cleaned. One time I got my sensor cleaned, or so I thought, and when I got out on a travel with the camera and started taking pictures...it still had dust spots on it. I got fed up with paying out that kind of money and decided to just order the kit myself to do it. Logically, the only way you're going to scratch the sensor glass covering (the sensor itself is never actually exposed) is if you have something hard in there like a stone, etc. Cotton and soft materials will always be softer than glass and won't scratch it itself even if pushing harder than you actually should be. Worked up the courage to do the cleaning...and 15 seconds later, the sensor was clean as a whistle. Much more money in my pocket and 15 seconds of my time as compared to leaving my camera at a shop, having to spend the time to drive up there and back, etc. Plus you get the satisfaction of knowing it was done properly. If you really feel the need to get over the fear, buy a cheap full frame parts camera off of eBay for next to nothing and practice giving it a few swipes. You'll see it's nothing to fear at all and you'll just wish that you did it yourself sooner. If you're going to use a gel stick before hand, use a Pentax gel stick. This is what Pentax themselves use during servicing and many Leica services also use it. You dont' need to worry about the Pentax stick leaving nasty residue like a cheap knockoff from other brands. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi,

fot the German speaking guys here: this is a very useful video from Leica Store Nürnberg regarding sensor cleaning:

since then i am very carefully regarding sensor cleaning….

main takeaway: dust is not equal dust:

a) plain vanilla dust

b) a very small grain of sand

c) others

in case you use swabs in case of b) it could result in major issues….

by the way: from time to time i use swabs for the M 240, for the realitevely new M11 not 🙂

Edited by le7

I have been using this for years and I can’t remember the last time I had to use a wet swab. It’s extremely effective and sfae and it takes less than 10 seconds. 

It’s a static charged soft brush that will attract dust particles when brushing the sensor.

To create the charge it spins quickly, you stop the spinning and use it with its very useful led light, then spin it again to shake any dust off after brushing. 

I always use it after the rocket blower.

Honestly I never travel without it. It’s a revelation.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Its all about the price of the camera and repair fees. I clean all my camera sensors from the cheapest to most expensive. If i owned an M11 I would probably give it a puff with the blower but thats it for me. I use blower and swabs on all other cameras but I suppose the more expensive the camera, the more expensive the repair bill if it goes south.

Try a blower first and then see how it looks. Also, you may already know, dont change lens in dusty, windy locations, especially the beach. I always have the body facing down if I change the lens so nothing falls or settles in the camera. Apart from that, I think as time moves on you will give it a good ole fashion swipe with the alcohol swab.

One of broadcast cameras had a spot on the sensor, $30,000 body. I always got it professionally cleaned.....now, we just do it ourselves as part of yearly maintenance. 

On 2/13/2024 at 7:49 AM, schimmey said:

Good afternoon all,

Just thought I would put it out there. I have a very, very, deep fear of going anywhere near the sensor with any type of sensor cleaning brush/liquid. I am petrified that I will irreparably damage it. I wasn't overly convinced by a previous visit (a long time ago) to Leica where they used a Pentax stick with a bit of rubber.

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks.

Paul

To answer your question, since you have never done it. Heed the advice above and just do it.

I have done my M's for years after a guy at a Toulouse camera store offered to do mine on my M9. I watched and decided I could do that too. 

These days I often find that just blowing off the sensor is adequate.

My m11 collects dust, especially in summer(I live in Izmir on the west coast of Turkey, summers are hot and dry, dust is inevitable). The first time I spotted dust on the sensor I tried the sticky gel thing and it made it worse. Blowers just introduce more dust to the sensor. I ended up getting a good quality sensor swab. I was pretty scared the first time I used it but you can literally see the liquid dry in a second leaving nothing behind. I always use two swabs, use them both one time to the left and one time to the right. I have done this cleaning at least 5 times in the past 18 months, never had any problems. The only thing I watch out for is when I put the liquid on the swab. I hold the swab against light so I don't oversaturate the swab tip with the liquid. You can see clearly when the tip of the swab g ets wet. I sweep the swabs edge with the liquid bottle's tip a few times, I don't squeeze the bottle. It takes 2 minutes and it has become regular maintenance for me like cleaning the exterior of the camera and lenses. I do it every time I go on a trip and I always take the small liquid bottle and 4 swabs with me anywhere I travel just in case. 

I also noticed that my camera collected much more dust when it was new. I remember it was just 2 months after I got the m11 and the photos were full of spots, at least 20 of them. Now that I have been using it for a year and a half I get one or two spots every 2-3 months. My point is that we pay a premium for the highest quality of components when we buy a Leica and you can feel it just by holding the camera in your hands. I am pretty sure the attention to quality goes all the way to the components including the sensor cover glass. These tools are made to last and designed to be as tough as possible. I carry my iphone in my back pocket all the time, drop it in all kind of environments, even dip it in sea water to take underwater photos. I never had a scratch on a lens glass. I am pretty sure Leica engineers are able to do just as good as Apple engineers when designing and sourcing these instruments that we love and invest in so much. I have a 1961 m3 that still works perfectly. I took it to an old Leica technician for cla last year, he told me 'this is the last time I'll see this camera in my lifetime when I was picking it up. Cameras take photos, Leica's last. Your Leica is much tougher than you think...