Should I wait for SL 2 ?

umutfps

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 minutes ago, NW67 said:

Exactly. You are among many on here that agree 100% about the brick feeling. 

Hopefullg SL2 will feel different ly 

neil

You misunderstand me Neil

I love the feel - and I've never thought that the sharp edges were a problem (except perhaps for my hips). 

I understand that the world may want softer corners, but it's such a small thing for me!

best

5 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Funny then that the thread “Leica SL or Hasselblad X1D”, which appears in this forum, is now up to 125 pages and almost 2500 comments.  I, for one, am contemplating buying the X1Dii, but not before I see what the SL2 has to offer.  Digital MF is a marketing term for those of us who experienced film MF.  I’m less interested in sensor size than VF experience, lens line, ergonomics and handling, control interface, etc.  IQ has hardly been an issue for years considering all the many company offerings... across various sensor sizes.  

As far as ‘interpretations’, I should have used the term ‘predictions’ to distinguish our comments.  You offered an industry context, then predicted a product price point for Leica  I don’t play the prediction/ guessing game; we’ll know soon enough. I merely offered some context, which to me was relevant to the SL, at least from a buyer standpoint.  Leica marches to its own beat product-wise and price-wise, so I won’t be surprised, just interested how they approach things, including the S.

Jeff

FWIW, I agree with all of the above and feel similarly.

31 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Oh!

I’ve shot lots of weddings and events with my SL over the past 5? Years and it’s always been an absolute brick!

i love the handling, grip, shape. My only gripe is they the edges do hurt when you whack ‘em on your hip!

I’ve held it one handed all day many times (sometimes with the 90-280 attached but mostly with the 24-90)......and I’m just a skinny old man!

certainly the best camera I’ve ever owned m

Wow, one handed for hours with the 90-280!  No sarcasm, you may be skinny but you clearly have jacked forearms.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, jonoslack said:

. . and probably FF for that matter!

And APS-C, 4/3s etal.  Cell phone/AI bokeh... sigh. 

My theory used to be that FF was the worst of all worlds, a compromise of size and weight for not enough resolution. These days, in large measure due to the M10/Leica optics, I find it to be the opposite. Sweet spot for size, acuity and control over depth of field.

• Like 3

Not quite sure what you guys have against bricks :D

for me the SL is more a slab of granite

i love it because of its looks 

I doubt Leica will change much with the SL2

its primarily intended as a professional tool, and the body balances well against the lens range

a smaller lighter camera would feel very unbalanced IMHO

Edited by colonel
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

So you doubt Dr. Kaufmann?

Jeff

We will see

maybe

more elegant could be T to TL - ie smooth some curves

i am pretty sure the dimensions and weight will be broadly the same

who knows

exciting

Edited by colonel

Well, we were told that initially there were some internally who thought the design should take cues from the S, but the more modernist design (“brutal, like cut from an axe”, as Dr K later characterized) won out.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I'm also happy to hold the SL one handed for long periods (concerts, music rehearsals and theatre), but only as long as I have a hand strap for security. That's with both the 24-90 and 90-280. While I might want something smaller and svelter (is there such a word?) with the Summicron-SLs or smaller lenses, those zooms - which are terrific workhorses for such use - really need the SL's size and grippiness. When I swing that big 90-280 up to firing position from at ease down at my side I am grateful for the hard edges. 

• Like 3

The tripod attachment on my 90-280 is permanently detached. It is a handheld only lens for me on the SL. The battery grip was also permanently mounted on my SL with the ‘S’ handgrip while I use the shoulder strap than neck strap to hold camera and lens around hip when not shooting. The weight, size and feel of the SL is just perfect for me which I only shoot it with the 3 native zooms + 75SL lenses.

Looking forward to place Preorder payment on a SL2 in a month’s time.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jonoslack said:

You misunderstand me Neil

I love the feel - and I've never thought that the sharp edges were a problem (except perhaps for my hips). 

I understand that the world may want softer corners, but it's such a small thing for me!

best

The sharp edges are beautiful. It has a real industrial post modernist feel.

The clever thing is that, unlike the T decision, they don’t effect usage. The area you grip and hold is rounded and comfortable

• Like 5

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Chaemono:

Then they’ll just have to use a tiny IBIS. 😂

IBIS could be realized even in a smaller and lighter body, just look at sony a7. I think IBIS shoul be possible at the same weight and size as the current SL.

• Like 2

There was a bit of irony in it. Leica won’t put it in a body not large enough to deal with the processor heat. You know this. Why are others able to? My guess is, clever algorithms to counter the degradation issues caused by heat in the final image. Sony likely has the best image sensor and software engineers to do this.  

• Like 1