Should I wait for SL 2 ?

umutfps

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

There was a bit of irony in it. Leica won’t put it in a body not large enough to deal with the processor heat. You know this. Why are others able to? My guess is, clever algorithms to counter the degradation issues caused by heat in the final image. Sony likely has the best image sensor and software engineers to do this.  

The SL size was not chosen for heat. The virtually all metal construction is a perfect radiator in any case.

It was chosen to be the best partner with the slightly larger then average SL lenses.

Remember it’s focus is professional, not consumer.

Saying all that, it’s smaller then all of the FF DSLRs and BTW smaller then the Panasonic S1 in every dimension as well as 20% lighter  ....

Edited by colonel

vor 14 Minuten schrieb colonel:

The SL size was not chosen for heat. The virtually all metal construction is a perfect radiator in any case.

It was chosen to be the best partner with the slightly larger then average SL lenses.

Remember it’s focus is professional, not consumer.

We are discussing size to accommodate IBIS. 

SL dimensions: 147 x 104 x 39 mm -> IBIS no.

Lumix S1R dimensions: 148.9 x 110 x 96.7 mm (with grip) -> best in class IBIS.

Panasonic is wider even without the grip: https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/leica-sl-vs-panasonic-s1r

It would be nice, if the SL2 is the same size as the SL, but somehow I doubt it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

We are discussing size to accommodate IBIS. 

SL dimensions: 147 x 104 x 39 mm -> IBIS no.

Lumix S1R dimensions: 148.9 x 110 x 96.7 mm (with grip) -> best in class IBIS.

Panasonic is wider even without the grip: https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/leica-sl-vs-panasonic-s1r

It would be nice, if the SL2 is the same size as the SL, but somehow I doubt it. 

Folk over at sony would argue about best in class, but in any event the A7 iii is 127 x 96 x 74.

basically I don’t think IBIS would make any size difference today. It’s moved on a lot in the last few years. The latest generation is much slimmer and integrated into the shutter mechanism. Here is a first generation Sony (which means 3rd generation everyone else):

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/02/the-a7ii-teardown-a-look-inside-sonys-new-camera/

The Q2 only has one slot, but has a big battery, arguably as complex a chip set, since it has a correction algorithms, and a complex connection with its fixed lens that includes macro capabilities. And yet, it is precisely the form and size that everyone wants the SL/SL2 to be. I guess I don't understand why there is such a difference in form and weight (and the Q/Q2 even has a lens!). I'm one of those who goes into the Leica store hoping to be convinced by the SL and walks out appreciative of my Q and CL.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 5:09 PM, ru2far2c said:

You can get a better price today trading or selling your SL today than when the new SL2 (if that is what they call it) arrives. So more money today in your pocket to buy later on.

I don’t think this is the case. The SL used price has already dropped to what feels like a more settled price. IMHO the used price will not drop when the new SL comes out at double the price. There will be a short time increase in supply as folk trade up, but looking at the M240 price, for example, it’s actually risen slightly since the M10 came out.

This is often catalysed by publicity around the new camera stimulating some people to get into the platform at a lower price. Even the M-E 240 has not dented the M240 price.

Most leica prices are rising all the time. Did you guys notice the insane price rises in M6 and M7 since the start of last year ?

Sure, wait a few months if you want, but think of all those great photo opportunities lost ;)

lastly, there will be a period of real lens scarcity when the SL2 starts to be delivered. Also worth factoring in.

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, colonel said:

I don’t think this is the case. The SL used price has already dropped to what feels like a more settled price. IMHO the used price will not drop when the new SL comes out at double the price. There will be a short time increase in supply as folk trade up, but looking at the M240 price, for example, it’s actually risen slightly since the M10 came out.

Sure, wait a few months if you want, but think of all those great photo opportunities lost ;)

It will find a bottom at some point your are right and rise a little bit depend on supply and demand. I'll looking for another SL later on. As for the ME 240 to the M240 the ME should fetch more in the used market due its limited edition and newer features. 

Pretty sure the wait lists have already begun.

• Like 1