Should I wait for SL 2 ?

umutfps

Advertisement (gone after registration)

38 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Why not. It needs a little robotic finger or a wheel placed around the focus ring and a motor to turn it. But then M lenses come in different sizes. It’s not a very practical solution and it would cannibalize sales of native SL lenses. 

They have one already for M lenses on the Sony A7 

neil

34 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Why not. It needs a little robotic finger or a wheel placed around the focus ring and a motor to turn it. But then M lenses come in different sizes. It’s not a very practical solution and it would cannibalize sales of native SL lenses. 

Technically it is easy thing for Leica to produce an AF adapter, I guess most of us will even forgive Leica for slow AF vs no AF. Imagine this feature built provided in future Ms. 

Now that most of us are convinced that SL lenses out perform M lenses optically. Plus Pana and Sigma will come out with lenses to take away Leica market share anyway. I would produce a AF adapter for Leica M lenses if I were Leica.

We are totally in the realm of fantasy here but why not. We have some time to kill and it beats taking Xanax. The Leica M to Leica L AF adapter can’t work like the Techart for Sony. It needs actually to turn the focus ring. It would make sense for Leica to offer it for the two Noctiluces, at least. The adapter would come with two detachable wheels (ideally in different colors - Neil likes his in red and blue) to fit the focus ring of each lens. This would make the L-Mount really competitive without cannibalizing the native Summicrons. Think about it, 50 Noctilux-M and 75 Noctilux-M on the SL2 plus all the SL Summicrons and the amazing SL zooms. The best of the best in one system AND all with AF. 

4 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

We are totally in the realm of fantasy here but why not. We have some time to kill and it beats taking Xanax. The Leica M to Leica L AF adapter can’t work like the Techart for Sony. It needs actually to turn the focus ring. It would make sense for Leica to offer it for the two Noctiluces, at least. The adapter would come with two detachable wheels (ideally in different colors - Neil likes his in red and blue) to fit the focus ring of each lens. This would make the L-Mount really competitive without cannibalizing the native Summicrons. Think about it, 50 Noctilux-M and 75 Noctilux-M on the SL2 plus all the SL Summicrons and the amazing SL zooms. The best of the best in one system AND all with AF. 

Check out techartpro.com was surprised at how theirs works. they cover a few different adaptors for FF and MF. Neil seems to stay on top of things.

I don’t think so. There are image quality issues with the Techart Pro adapter when using lenses with IF and lenses with floating elements. See point 2. here: https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/techart-pro-adapter-user-experience-and-how-to-adapt-non-leica-m-lenses/

“2. Performance with Internal focus lenses and lenses with Floating elements

These kinds of lens need the rear element to be fixed at a certain distance to the sensor, and any movement of that element will degrade the quality of the photo. Therefore, if you just let the adapter to focus for you, there is a high chance that you will get worse image.”

So, Techart Pro adapter no good. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

I don’t think so. There are image quality issues with the Techart Pro adapter when using lenses with IF and lenses with floating elements. See point 2. here: https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/techart-pro-adapter-user-experience-and-how-to-adapt-non-leica-m-lenses/

These kinds of lens need the rear element to be fixed at a certain distance to the sensor, and any movement of that element will degrade the quality of the photo. Therefore, if you just let the adapter to focus for you, there is a high chance that you will get worse image.”

Not according to Steve hub. And he knows his Sh!t

5 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Just did a very quick google is my friend search they came up. M to Sony really doesn't interest me. The technology does though. The linked article was interesting read you included.

Being new to an SL using M lens having something to turn a MF  to AF would be nice especially if it is that small.

1 hour ago, Chuck Albertson said:

I had a roommate in law school who swore that Jim Morrison was still alive and playing small clubs in the Midwest.

Jim who. In the nick we maid our own music 

9 hours ago, Chaemono said:

You have my strong vote for the AF Adapter for Noctiluxs to L mount!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Exodies said:

Is the 75 noctilux really better than the 75 SL?

I do not own the M75Noctilux but I do own both the M50 Noctilux & SL75.

The Noctilux is a lens full of character and flaw. I only use it fully open at f0.95 and I only use it for portrait shots. The very shallow DOF makes is tricky to get pin sharp focus every shot on The eye of the person but the dreamy effect is intoxicating at first but the Unwanted purple fringe can be a pain to get rid in post processing. All Noctiluxs plus the M21summilux have the same characteristics due to same design.

The SL75 on the other hand is so sharp, clean and easy to use with the face detect of the SL & S1R. It has since become my favourite go to lens even though it is the least expensive SL lens available.

Too much using of the Noctilux can be a turn off after some time as all the shots look identical with dreamy bokeh. Close down the aperture and it appears to be another not so sharp lens full of unwanted CA. I guess you do not want to have Louis Xlll too often as well.

12 hours ago, Chaemono said:

One has a fast M lens bokeh and the other a Summicron-SL lens bokeh. 

:)  yes but.

It was actually the similarity of the bokeh as seen in the low-res examples shown on this forum that stopped me from buying a noctilux (given that my next step towards penury will be to buy an SL2)

A 75 f/1.25 M lens is not optimized to be used like a super sharp 75 f/2 SL lens wide open and a 75 f/2 SL lens is not optimized to be used like a super smooth 75 f/1.25 M lens wide open. If I had to own one, it would be the SL Summicron. In that case, the 75 Noctilux becomes a niche lens to be used like Jono shows here: https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/fc8454f80b794f0eaf1433a6e7679f97

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

A 75 f/1.25 M lens is not optimized to be used like a super sharp 75 f/2 SL lens wide open and a 75 f/2 SL lens is not optimized to be used like a super smooth 75 f/1.25 M lens wide open. If I had to own one, it would be the SL Summicron. In that case, the 75 Noctilux becomes a niche lens to be used like Jono shows here: https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/fc8454f80b794f0eaf1433a6e7679f97

I'd forgotten about those pictures - thanks for reminding me (grandchildren grow up so fast). I'm not sure that the 75 Noctilux is only suitable for niche shooting, but like you - as I have to own only one, it's the 75 SL (mind you, I can't afford the Noct anyway). 

On 8/6/2019 at 12:51 PM, Exodies said:

Is the 75 noctilux really better than the 75 SL?

No - at least, not technically, the SL has no chromatic aberration and is certainly sharper and has better micro contrast . . .  character is in the eye of the beholder I guess

However,  it's much easier to design an APO lens at f2, and the very rapid loss of contrast as you go away from the point of focus means that the depth of field doesn't look so different. But you can't put the 75 SL on your M, whereas you can put the Noctilux on your SL!

all the best

• Like 4