umutfps

Should I wait for SL 2 ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been planning on buying my first leica for a while now. My model of choice is SL but it's been already 4 years since its release, Should I wait a couple months more or get the SL?

I would wait to be able to assess the SL2. 

If it is not what you expect, buy the SL then. 

It should be available cheaper. 

The SL product life is 4 years.  It has run its course.  I would definitely wait for the SL2. I sold my SL for that reason. Andrew

Why wait? The SL is an excellent camera, and there are some great (great, once you set your watch to Wetzlar Standard Time) deals on from Leica for DSLR trade-ins and the like. You may be waiting more than a couple of months for the mythical SL2. Don't forget a lens.

Unless you really have to have an SL right now, then there is literally no good reason to get the SL1 right now. 

- When the SL2 comes out, it will be newer and improved. Better EV, more MP, larger DR.. etc etc. Get that, be happy. The only problem is with the wait list, it probably won't be available the moment it's released, so you may have to wait to get one.

- When the SL2 comes out, you will be able to get an SL1 for much less than you can now. On the used market for sure... the new ones are already heavily discounted.

Win Win.

Would the SL kit with the 24-90 for $7,995 be a decent incentive to go ahead?  I shoot with the S and not the SL, but if the 24-90 sell for $4,950, does not look like there is a tremendous amount of downside.

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The real value comes from individual user satisfaction and picture results, not from buy and sell calculations. Only the potential buyer can assess, often in the context of other photo gear alternatives, owned or considered.   Cameras are generally not sound financial investments.  And GAS knows no logic.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I just got the SL myself recently with the 50 Summilux and no regrets. I'd think the SL2 when it's released will be out of my budget anyway,.

But if it's around $5K, I'd sell the SL and my Canon 5DSR. Knowing Q2 is more expensive then Q initially, I'd say SL2 would be around $7-8k body only if we are lucky or if Leica generous enough to lower the price.

A patient wait for SL2 , cause I sold my SL last weekend after 3+ years of use. 

Resisting hard against picking up an S1R before SL2 arrives.

4 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

So what are you using between now and the arrival of SL2? 

I can understand people waiting for the SL2 but selling their SL's before the SL2 is even announced let alone shipping seems premature to me.

39 minutes ago, 99p said:

I can understand people waiting for the SL2 but selling their SL's before the SL2 is even announced let alone shipping seems premature to me.

A good opportunity for me to fall back on my M10 with M lenses for now.

I think it depends on what you want from an SL2?

If the SL fulfils your needs, then it seems like a great time to buy one, my feeling is that the price is not going to go down much more, and the special deals are unlikely to last for very long . . . 

Best

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, jonoslack said:

I think it depends on what you want from an SL2.

I picked up a second SL some time ago.  I know at least one frequent LUF commenter who has three!  So the current deals don't make a difference for me.  My main question is what on earth will I do with all those pixels on the Q2, the S1R or maybe, someday, just possibly the SL2?  I can't see using the 48 MPx just so that you can crop and throw most of them away.  That's wimpy! So I got a deal on an S1R to try it out before committing to an SL2.  So far, the pictures that appeal to me most have an interesting overall setting and shape, with lots of interesting detail in them -- folks and faces doing interesting things in the mid to far distance.  Lots of folks and faces!  That way the picture works both at first glance, and when you look at it close up.  This is not something you see often in photography, but Bruegel comes to mind as a master of the full-up, well-composed scene of people having a good time.  Maybe photo-Bruegels will be the niche which justifies the SL2. 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_-_Children’s_Games_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Of course, other models to strive for are Jacques-Louis David and his enormous paintings of Napoleon at his most triumphant moments, like the Coronation, but the opportunities for this are getting rarer now, and they are less to my taste than everyday revelry.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

8 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

You don't have to resist.  Consider it just an experiment.

2 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

You don't have to resist.  Consider it just an experiment.

😀

8 hours ago, 99p said:

You can get a better price today trading or selling your SL today than when the new SL2 (if that is what they call it) arrives. So more money today in your pocket to buy later on.

I had been wanting a SL for a long time and recently purchased one on sale with a trade. Trade deal was 1200€ for a working DSLR or ASP-C for new SL for 3750€ so traded a brand new GRIII (less than one month old). Saved a few more bucks with refund for VAT leaving Germany. There are some great deal out there now.

Yes, camera technology is four plus years and it is only 24MB. How will the color science change in the new SL2? Do you really need any thing bigger than 24MB to make your prints? Yes, bigger is better! Will there be more detail in you images more than likely. Personally I'm happy at 24mb,  with the color pallet and size of the current SL. I use M lenses with the adaptor from Leica to help keep a smaller camera profile. We all different reasons for doing what we do. YMMV

1 hour ago, ru2far2c said:

You can get a better price today trading or selling your SL today than when the new SL2 (if that is what they call it) arrives. So more money today in your pocket to buy later on.

I had been wanting a SL for a long time and recently purchased one on sale with a trade. Trade deal was 1200€ for a working DSLR or ASP-C for new SL for 3750€ so traded a brand new GRIII (less than one month old). Saved a few more bucks with refund for VAT leaving Germany. There are some great deal out there now.

I'd hate to give up a working GRIII.  I gave up an Olympus E-M5.2 worth about $300-500 for one of those deals recently.

6 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I'd hate to give up a working GRIII.  I gave up an Olympus E-M5.2 worth about $300-500 for one of those deals recently.

Yes, it was hard giving it up yet then again I made 300$ over what I paid for it. Had to strike while the iron was hot! It'll be easier to get another GRIII than a SL for me this year. It's great little camera do have to say.

9 hours ago, ru2far2c said:

Yes, camera technology is four plus years and it is only 24MB. How will the color science change in the new SL2? Do you really need any thing bigger than 24MB to make your prints? Yes, bigger is better! Will there be more detail in you images more than likely. Personally I'm happy at 24mb,  with the color pallet and size of the current SL. I use M lenses with the adaptor from Leica to help keep a smaller camera profile. We all different reasons for doing what we do. YMMV

Your first paragraph is correct on one of my several rationalities for selling my SL now.

I share your thoughts on the camera sensor resolution race and agree 24MP are more than often to catch my breath. However I do not resist when the technology and marketing strategy of newer products arrive in the market.

I’m more looking forward to the next generation of more robust AF offered by current SL and do welcome in body stabilisation that is absent currently.

Now you might think that what I have described above can all be found in a Sony Alpha mirrorless. Yes but I want a body that will optimise Leica SL glasses. So Sony is not a choice for me.

Lumix S1R and SL2 would be my considerations although the second is still not available. The scale can tip towards my desire to select S1R over SL2 when I see evidence of S1R compatible to major lighting makers as Profoto, Elinchrome and Godox. My search continues.

4 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

I’m more looking forward to the next generation of more robust AF offered by current SL and do welcome in body stabilisation that is absent currently.

The largest difference between SL and S1R, in my view, is IBIS. It works very, very well for hand-hold photography. The ~5 stop longer shutter speed is more than Panasonic selling talk, it is real.