Should I wait for SL 2 ?

umutfps

5 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

The bokeh of the 75 Noctilux is so smooth, that it’s almost unnecessary to have any object in focus in order for a picture to look interesting. In fact, I sometimes just shoot blurry backgrounds with it. It’s hard to focus the darn thing with the rangefinder anyway. 

I don’t know if you’re being serious, but it seems all too common these days that ‘lazy’ photographers think it’s up to the lens to take interesting pics.  I guess one person’s interesting is another’s repetitive and boring.

But all this has little to do with the thread topic. 

Jeff

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

The bokeh of the 75 Noctilux is so smooth, that it’s almost unnecessary to have any object in focus in order for a picture to look interesting. In fact, I sometimes just shoot blurry backgrounds with it. It’s hard to focus the darn thing with the rangefinder anyway. 

Hay Chemo 

ive tried the 75mm Noctilux but to be honest I prefer the 50 nautylux. 

I use it as a everyday lens so shoot it at every appatire, and seeing as the M10 only has the RF that’s what I use and shoot and hope especially wide open. I have the EVF for the M10 but find that a PITA to use plus it cramps my style. 

I’m done with cameras and photography basically. I’ll keep my M10 and Q2 and all the rest of the crap I will let go. 

My wife wants me to put all my MF gear in the local camera shop in Phuket and take whatever I can get.......... she’s always been the wise one. 

If the SL2 supports more megawatts and in some way makes shooting the Naughty lux fun again I might get that and dump the Q2 and M10 in the wee shop in Phuket too. 

Today shooting hadrians wall I felt like a right plonked walking around with both the Q2 and M10 hanging around my neck...... I will never do that shit again

Neil 

vor 11 Minuten schrieb tom0511:

For me I like to have the focus on the point where I decide, thats why I do not use superfast lenses often on the M anymore, but prefer AF for such wide open shooting.

With super fast lenses wide open the following applies, IMO: MF = focus point where I decide, AF = focus point where the camera decides. 😂

• Like 1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Chaemono:

And you can never be 100 percent certain that it’ll end up there. 

No, you cant. You can maybe be 100% sure if you use a tripod and manual focus and magnification. For my type of photography which is not static subjects I get a higher succesrate with AF. I also dont like to switch forth and back between magnification for focus and then full image for framing. And without magnification I dont get the focus accurancy I want to have.

For me a good AF, and also face detection have helped to have more images where I can "nail" focus on the eye than I can with manual focus. Also with rising megapixel numbers images which first seem focused correct on screen and in the viewfinder can still be slightly out of focus when you zoom in a bit.

I have good experience with manual focus for wide angle up to 50mm with rangefinders (as long lens and rangefinder are calibrated correct, and if the lens doesnt suffer from focus shift), but very inconsistent experience with longer lenses. I tried manual focus with a Leica S and splitscreen and I could not focus more precise than the AF did. So I know what works for me (but do not say that it also has to work for others) 

I do not own the SL50 Lux, so I’m not sure about the AF performance especially after the latest firmware update that supposed to have improved AF performance on SL + sL50lux.

I do know for sure that the AF-C & AF-S worked well with the SL75 on face detect. I did not encounter casualties due to AF incapability before.

13 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Great pictures but I can never tell j@*sh!t about the lenses’ differences on street silhouettes.  

I don give a shit about his comments.

I just look at the pictures to judge for myself especially those comparing lenses on same scene. Btw, the girls usually look great so I cannot complain. It sure beats comparing dog pics.

• Haha 1