One M lens: Which one??

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, Gregm61 said:

For me, it’d be in the opposite direction...the 21mm SEM and 35mm f2 ASPH would be the absolute bare minimum, adding the 75mm f2 and 135mm APO’s for the complete travel set.

It would need to be a pretty extreme case for me to go with less than those four.

21mm to 135mm gives one a great range of near to far. Just this morning, from the same spot...

21mm with the SEM..

and 135mm, with the APO Telyt-M..

• Like 5

If finances allowed it would be a 50mm APO but as things are it would be my Summicron 50mm as we're sticking to the question asked.

However in real life like many here one isn't enough and so I tend to use a selection of lenses between 35mm - 90mm both Leica & Zeiss

I’m going to go off the rails and say a Noctilux 50 F1. Sharp at 5.6. Renders similar to a 50 Lux pre-ASPH at 1.4. And of course you still have F1 when you are feeling “painterly”.

More “weight sane” suggestions — like many here I’d go with a fast 50 as my one lens as 35 never worked for me as well as 50 and I ultimately sold my 35 cron. Now deciding between a late version e46 50 pre-ASPH Lux and the black chrome ASPH Lux (personally not a fan of focus tabs thus the standard Lux would not be on my list) would be a tough call.

Edited by ardbeg
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, farnz said:

I agree but raise you a Konica 35/2 UC-Hexanon.😄

Pete.

Fine lens indeed.
I picked the 43mm lens that sits comfortably in the middle of 35 and 50.
Neither here nor there for some, I'm sure but I feel I can use it as both a slightly narrow 35 or a slightly wide 50  🙂

• Like 1

One camera one lens... You'll probably look for the safe side with a Cron 35.

But then you'll add a 50mm sooner or later. And rapidly find out you're not that far from your initial 35mm purchase. 

So you'll get a Cron 28mm, which makes perfect sense with a 50mm.

Then you'll need a 75mm, a fine pair with the 35mm you started with.

Your next step will be the APO 50 as it is a brilliant lens. Probably the finest glass money can buy nowadays.

And you'll end up with all of them, not remembering your initial question... Ahhh yes: "One M lens.. Which one ?"..

Well... All of them, but only one at a time :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

My vote is for the Summilux 35 FLE. If your budget doesn't stretch far enough to purchase this lens, then the Summicron 35 would be my next choice.

I own them both and I find myself using the Summilux most often.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Am ‎07‎.‎08‎.‎2019 um 08:22 schrieb snooper:

But then you'll add a 50mm sooner or later. And rapidly find out you're not that far from your initial 35mm purchase. 

Your next step will be the APO 50 as it is a brilliant lens. Probably the finest glass money can buy nowadays.

And you'll end up with all of them, not remembering your initial question... Ahhh yes: "One M lens.. Which one ?"..

Ha ha, perfect!! You forgot the 90 mm lens for portraits 😉

Definitely the APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Am 7.8.2019 um 08:22 schrieb snooper:

Oh then you‘ll open a new thread asking which lens to take out of your drawer . . . And of course you will sell none of them.

10 minutes ago, M10 for me said:

Oh then you‘ll open a new thread asking which lens to take out of your drawer . . . And of course you will sell none of them.

Unfortunately I did.

And of course they are the ones I miss the most. Sold a Lux 50 (replaced by the APO) and a Cron 35 (trying to get a Lux 35 - for these days you feel like going out with "just one M lens" LOL). Should have kept them both, or at least the Lux 50.

Never ever sell the Leica glass you have! :D

• Haha 1

40mm Summicron.
Because it leaves a bit of empty space for mood on the sides of the subject;  and you get a chance to play with perspective without the courage or planning needed for a 35mm. For opposite the reasons,  a 50mm is not a modeling tool.