Which 1:1 adapter for the macro-elmarit-R 60mm lens?

ellisson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd like to use an 1:1 adapter for the macro-elmarit-R 60mm lens.  I see that the adapter originally made for the lens was Leica product code no. 14198 and was later replaced by a newer adapter, product code 14256.   is there any real benefit of one versus the other?  I assume that the sizes must be nearly the same.   Thanks! 

I'd like to use an 1:1 adapter for the macro-elmarit-R 60mm lens.  I see that the adapter originally made for the lens was Leica product code no. 14198 and was later replaced by a newer adapter, product code 14256.   is there any real benefit of one versus the other?  I assume that the sizes must be nearly the same.   Thanks! 

The latter simply doesn't fit on the earlier lenses, and vice versa.

• Like 1

The 1:1 extension tube (14198) was compatible only with the older Macro-Elmarit R 60mm (11205) and available in 2- and 3-cam versions.  The Macro-Adapter-R (14256) provides automatic meter coupling (3-cam R-only) and is adaptable to the newer version Macro-Elmarit R 60mm (11212/11253/11347), as well as the older 3-cam version and various other lenses including, but not limited to, Summicron-R 50mm, Summicron-R 90mm, Elmarit-R 90mm, Macro-Elmar-R 100mm, Elmarit-R 135mm, Elmarit-R 180mm, APO-Telyt-R 180mm, Telyt-R 250mm, Telyt-R 350mm, each with varying reproduction scale ratios.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just so happens that I took delivery today of a 14256 for my 60mm Macro Elmarit-R (Ser No. 3278xxx).  Works as advertised in giving 1:1 images. Have only tested the combination on my Sony A6500 (APS-C) so far, mainly to benefit from the Sony's IBIS.  A 1:1 view of part of my (very dusty) OM-2n...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Just so happens that I took delivery today of a 14256 for my 60mm Macro Elmarit-R (Ser No. 3278xxx).  Works as advertised in giving 1:1 images. Have only tested the combination on my Sony A6500 (APS-C) so far, mainly to benefit from the Sony's IBIS.  A 1:1 view of part of my (very dusty) OM-2n...

Thanks to alI for this information!   I also received delivery today of a 14256 adapter for use with my later version copy of the 60mm macro elmarit-R.  Nice to have it in the bag for other R lenses, too.  

Probably not surprising to others, but I was surprised by how close this extension tube brings you to the object/subject for proper focus: inches, like two inches or less!  It will definitely be a tripod-worthy combination for me.   

In the viewfinder of my R6.2, I see the shutter speed and exposure dot and arrows working as usual with the adapter-lens combination.  Aperture information is replaced by "ADA", so that is lost, but seems a small price to pay for very close focusing and what seems to be more than 1:1 image capture.  

Gary

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I'm looking to buy a 60mm 2.8 R Macro. Based on the serial, the one I want was manufactured in 1977. Which macro adapter is compatible with it, the 14256 or the 14198? I can't find information about when these adapters were made.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LraStn said:

I'm looking to buy a 60mm 2.8 R Macro. Based on the serial, the one I want was manufactured in 1977. Which macro adapter is compatible with it, the 14256 or the 14198? I can't find information about when these adapters were made.  

If your Macro Elmarit is 3-cam they are both compatible. If not, only the 14198 will work. The 14198 will only work with the 60mm because its rim prevents mounting other lenses. The 14256 is universal for any 3-cam R lens 50mm and longer, giving varying maximum magnification depending on the lens used.

The combo with the 14198 looks more integrated comopared to the 14256. It looks as if the lens is integrated with the adapter, even replacing the aperture scale by the one on the adapter.

Edited by dpitt