One M lens: Which one??

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's a question for M camera photographers (film or digital):  If you were to choose to work with just one M lens, which would you choose and why?

Which focal length?

Which maximum aperture? 

Is the one camera, one lens approach a valid approach or is it an unnecessary limitation?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!  😉

At the risk of sounding boring, I would use a 50mm lens as my "only lens" choice. Likely a non-apo Summicron. The 50mm “sees” things much like the human eye. In fact, while I have a variety of lenses, I use my 50 close to exclusively. 

Remember what Ansel Adams said - You are probably standing in the wrong place. He didn't say you are using the wrong lens.

Choosing one lens is an exercise in photographic discipline, and not limiting at all. I recommend it.

• Like 6

This question seems to have been asked so many times with the same myriad of answers, depending on the personal preferences of each respondee. So here goes my answer for the umteenth time: 35mm, at least f/2.8, and for most subjects it isn't a limitation...I did it for 10 years with only 4 rolls, each special situations, needing a longer lens. You should be able to judge what works best for you.

Summicron 50mm APO. IMO, the best lens ever produced by Leica and worth every penny because it captures everything so well, will always be in demand, is small and light, is discreet and doesn't block the viewfinder. I sold an enormous and bulky Noctilux to get mine and even my wife said, "That's a pretty lens."

If the wife is happy, then I am happy! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Here's a question for M camera photographers (film or digital):  If you were to choose to work with just one M lens, which would you choose and why?

Which focal length?

Which maximum aperture? 

Is the one camera, one lens approach a valid approach or is it an unnecessary limitation?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!  😉

For me it is the 35 FLE, like a crisp baby blue shirt, it is always ready to handle any situation, ready to take control without grand standing. 

• Like 1

I think 35mm is the best focal length if you’re in an urban setting. And 50 otherwise. 

I have summiluxs in both focal lengths, but honestly I think the ergonomics, weight and size of the summicrons make them better than the extra stop the summilux gives. That’s just me though. 

• Like 3

For street shooting I usually work with a single lens and invariably it's a 50 mm lens because that's how I see naturally.  (For studio work, nature, macro work etc I'll use a variety of lenses to suit the subject and the occasion.)

In the daytime it's my 50/2 Rigid Summicron.  Why?  I like the haptic of the lens and I like the vintage look of its pictures (low contrast with muted colours but sharp at the point of focus).

After dark it's my 50/1 Noctilux v4.  Why?  It's wide aperture, its exceptional resistance to flare from light sources in the frame, its gentle signature vignette, and its 'pastel' colours.

Pete.

• Like 2

One M lens? The MATE, because it can do almost everything even if it's only f/4. Is that cheating? OK, then it would have to be the Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH, because it's reliable/predictable, produces great pictures in all lighting circumstances - and feels like going for a stroll with an old friend... The 35/1.4 ASPH pre-FLE would be a close second.

Focal length? See above: I have a slight preference for 50mm overall, but would be happier with a 35mm in an urban environment.

Maximum aperture? If you are going to have a single lens, you want it to be as versatile as possible, and therefore as fast as possible. Why not the Noctilux then? Because it's too bulky and heavy for a single lens choice, but YMMV.

One camera, one lens? I could easily live with one camera, but one lens would definitely be too limiting for me.

it would have to be a fast, modern and light 50 for me, and there are plenty of good options to chose from: so either the Summilux ASPH or the 50 APO

In the end I would probably pick the Lux more than anything for sentimental reasons and for the extra speed when needed/with film but either would work, really

Always been 50mm or 35mm in APS format here. One lens would be too limiting for me. Just to play your game, let's say Elmar-M 50/2.8 (FF) or adapted Tessar 35/3.5 (APS) based on their character and the pleasure to use them only. 

• Like 1

Herr Barnack,  I sent you an email with a link that might well help you decide what single lens is best for you.  The author's blog articles ( http://www.abwatson.com ) are thought provoking and insightful.  Perhaps his article(s) will help you.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 2

My current favorite lens is the 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH E46. If I had to choose only one lens, it would be this one. I love the tactile feeling and the fast and precise focusing. I have always been a 50mm guy, maybe because of the natural perspective that makes composition so easy.

I have tried many 50mm lenses, but this one seems to be the perfect compromise between all the qualities I appreciate most. I love bokeh, but I also like small and light lenses. And the beautiful Mandler rendering is a perfect blend between old and new. A picture never looks boring with this lens.