Help in dating an old Elmar 13,5 cm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here are my lenses from the final lot ending at 197500 in 1934. I show 197421 which should be close to the last of this early lens for Leitz.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by alan mcfall
  • Like 1

The" Korrell" Elmar in an above post reminds me of this conversion I have.  I believe it to adapt the early 135 Elmar to  the Nikon F.  I would have thought there were better lenses of this focal length in the age of the F.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:38 AM, alan mcfall said:

....  I would have thought there were better lenses of this focal length in the age of the F.

By sure… but an adapter surely costed less than any good lens… B)  (and maybe was a Leica user who wasn't SO sure that reflex was better tha RF… :rolleyes:)

• Like 1

I have a brass adapter to fit a Leica screw lens on a Nikon F, not sure where it came from. I tried it once. As the Leica and Nikon connections go in opposite directions screwing the lens in tries to undo the adaptor to Nikon body connection. Also the Nikon lens register is greater so you do not get infinity focus.

i think this subject may have come up before as posting this seems familiar?

• 1 year later...

Hello Everybody,

As a continuation of this interesting Thread that was last Posted to in 2019: 

This Leica Thread to Nikon SLR Body adapter could also be used to allow Leica Thread enlarging lenses to be used on a Nikon SLR Bellows.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 3

I just came across a no-serial number Elmar- it is uncoupled - and has the arrow with a 0 marked above it on the barrel. It came with a black cap- but the cap doesn't have the Leica stampng I am accustomed to. Is this a genuine cap/ And am I correct to assume the lens dates from 1931/2?

Are these lenses sought after by collectors? I'm of a mind to sell it as I already have plenty of 135mm lenses- which are coupled.

Edited by jaques

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rear of cap:

8 hours ago, jaques said:

Rear of cap:

Hi,

I find the cap topic one of the hardest to state an absolute truth. I think it's due to lack of documentation (written or graphic) about it.

Once that said, my first impression, and that's a purely personal opinion, was that it's not original (or at least not original for a regular lens),due to the lack of any Leica stamp but internal felt lining seems really authentic to my eye. The border, slightly bent to the center, despite not the usual in the early caps means a higher level of manufacture than the Russian counterparts (they usually have a more raw finish).

Sorry for not being able to give more certainty.

Best wishes,

Augusto

Edited by tranquilo67
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jaques said:

I just came across a no-serial number Elmar- it is uncoupled - and has the arrow with a 0 marked above it on the barrel. It came with a black cap- but the cap doesn't have the Leica stampng I am accustomed to. Is this a genuine cap/ And am I correct to assume the lens dates from 1931/2?

Are these lenses sought after by collectors? I'm of a mind to sell it as I already have plenty of 135mm lenses- which are coupled.

Those old Elmars have so many little variants (also resulting from reworks during their life) that surely someone is interested to have several.... 😉.. your one, for instance, has the front ring that is not of the usual "A36 " size... whilst my one, also no s/n but coupled (probably not from its birth) has the A36 front...

The diameter of the front can explain the unusual cap without mark... imho it's original

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, tranquilo67 said:

I find the cap topic one of the hardest to state an absolute truth. I think it's due to lack of documentation (written or graphic) about it.

Caps varied a lot and there is no absolute certainty about them. They were listed as generic items in Leitz catalogues, just like buttons or something else like that. As for 'correct caps' very often there is no such thing, unless a cap is obviously from a much earlier or later period. 

I have a lens like the one shown above. It is standardised as indicated by the arrow pointing at a '0', but it is uncoupled. It has no SN, but I reckon it is from around 1931. One interesting item which my lens has is a so-called 'thin ' rear cap. It is obviously shallower than other rear caps from the same period. 

William

• Like 2

7 hours ago, willeica said:

Caps varied a lot and there is no absolute certainty about them. They were listed as generic items in Leitz catalogues, just like buttons or something else like that. As for 'correct caps' very often there is no such thing, unless a cap is obviously from a much earlier or later period. 

I have a lens like the one shown above. It is standardised as indicated by the arrow pointing at a '0', but it is uncoupled. It has no SN, but I reckon it is from around 1931. One interesting item which my lens has is a so-called 'thin ' rear cap. It is obviously shallower than other rear caps from the same period. 

William

I assume the “thin” rear cap was because the uncoupled lenses did not have the coupling link sticking out of the back of the lens. So perhaps they should be regarded as normal and the later version called “deep”.

I have a curiosity about that Elmar, and some expert surely has some info about : iirc it was the FIRST no 50mm lens for Leica (and based on a lens for 9x12 plates) ; which filters were made available for it ? From the pictures , it looks that the fornt ring has a thread... and Leitz was always very careful to provide filters... at least the very used yellow ones... but cannot find info/codes/size for filters possibly made for those very early Elmars 135

Edited by luigi bertolotti

1 hour ago, Pyrogallol said:

I assume the “thin” rear cap was because the uncoupled lenses did not have the coupling link sticking out of the back of the lens. So perhaps they should be regarded as normal and the later version called “deep”.

You might say that, but the 'deep' one lasted a lot longer and the other ones are actually called 'thin'. 

William

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 8:48 AM, luigi bertolotti said:

From the pictures , it looks that the fornt ring has a thread... and Leitz was always very careful to provide filters... at least the very used yellow ones... but cannot find info/codes/size for filters possibly made for those very early Elmars 135

The Leitz catalogue from July 1930 and the manual for the Leica from August 1931 say that only push on filters - Figro -  were available for the 13.5cm Elmar. 

On 8/6/2021 at 4:18 PM, luigi bertolotti said:

I have a curiosity about that Elmar, and some expert surely has some info about : iirc it was the FIRST no 50mm lens for Leica (and based on a lens for 9x12 plates) ; which filters were made available for it ? From the pictures , it looks that the fornt ring has a thread... and Leitz was always very careful to provide filters... at least the very used yellow ones... but cannot find info/codes/size for filters possibly made for those very early Elmars 135

It is indeed threaded- smaller than my e39 filters. I don't have any smaller filter that fits it. I am supposing that the push on filters wont fit?

On 8/6/2021 at 1:03 AM, willeica said:

William

Hi William,

I also got the thin rear cap for mine (it's something like 3 internal threads for the screw mount instead of the later 5 internal threads allowing space for the coupling lever).

Best wishes,

Augusto

• Like 1