Leica M4-2 with red dot

Hello Everybody,

If everyone looks at the BACK of their various Leitz/Leica instruction, etc. booklets, etc. On the bottom, usually near the left or the right corner, there may well be a Roman Numeral, such as VII. Then a "/ " then a 2 digit number such as 82. Put together they would be VII/82. which means that this publication was produced in July of 1982. 

There are sometimes more than 1 publication, some with revisions, made over a period of time, dealing with 1 or more of the same or similar camera/lens, etc. Changes over time are nothing new for Leitz/Leica, or anyone else.

Contradictory information is often correct, on the date of that publication. But not always.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Matlock said:

I have that manual and there is no such comment on page #2 or anywhere else.

Your comment would seem to contradict your post #14

As far as I know M4-2s with red dots are less common but certainly not rare. 

I judge rarity by availability.  On  ebay right now there are 37 M4-2s for sale.  And only one red dot.

if you search for M4-2 manual, then click on the Butkus link, it shows that statement on page 2 re the prototype.

Well, the red dot M4-2 which formerly belong to Huss is now in my possession. It seems to have the same vulcanite as my M4 and the Leitz badge is inset and definitely not a sticker. Let the mystery continue. 
P.S. It’s a really nice camera.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madNbad said:

Well, the red dot M4-2 which formerly belong to Huss is now in my possession. It seems to have the same vulcanite as my M4 and the Leitz badge is inset and definitely not a sticker. Let the mystery continue. 
P.S. It’s a really nice camera.

Leica should have used the same type of red dot on the M-A to cover up the battery hole.  What a missed opportunity.

10 hours ago, Huss said:

I judge rarity by availability.  On  ebay right now there are 37 M4-2s for sale.  And only one red dot.

if you search for M4-2 manual, then click on the Butkus link, it shows that statement on page 2 re the prototype.

There were 17100 M4-2s made so 37 is not exactly a representative sample. As to the Butkus link, as Michael has pointed out, there are several editions of the manual.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Matlock said:

There were 17100 M4-2s made so 37 is not exactly a representative sample. As to the Butkus link, as Michael has pointed out, there are several editions of the manual.

37 is a representative sampling because that is a random unbiased sampling of what is currently for sale on the most popular auction site.

Unless you can come up with something better, currently there are 37 M4-2s for sale.  And only one is a red dot.

1 hour ago, Huss said:

37 is a representative sampling because that is a random unbiased sampling of what is currently for sale on the most popular auction site.

Unless you can come up with something better, currently there are 37 M4-2s for sale.  And only one is a red dot.

And 17063 not for sale on that site.

1 hour ago, madNbad said:

One day in the late 1970s the supervisor walks out to the production floor with a small box of red metal badges and tells the assemblers, "Get rid of these." 

How awesome would those have been, in black, on the M-A where the battery ‘dent’ is?