Anyone Else Staying with Q over Q2?

after much thought, shopping, reading, youtube videos, and a fair amount of negotiating, I just purchased a Q-P at the FredMiranda board.  It should arrive Friday.  Based upon a quick read of this thread, it seems to be a recently popular choice.  Can't wait for Friday.

This will be my first digital Leica.  I also have an M3 w/ 50/2 'cron DR.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, DaleG said:

after much thought, shopping, reading, youtube videos, and a fair amount of negotiating, I just purchased a Q-P at the FredMiranda board.  It should arrive Friday.  Based upon a quick read of this thread, it seems to be a recently popular choice.  Can't wait for Friday.

This will be my first digital Leica.  I also have an M3 w/ 50/2 'cron DR.

Am in the same boat except I had the M4 and M6 . Got the QP and it’s so amazing !!!! 

Although it’s tough to match the rangefinder in the M3 . The joy of the mechanical Ms is second to none .

But the QP is so silent !!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure the Q is a fantastic camera and the Q2 is as well. Both offer pros and cons. For my part the higher ability to crop makes the Q2 more usefull for my needs. If I wanted to shoot 28mm fov mainly it might be different.

I dont need higher ISO much, so noise is not the factor for me. I really like that camera a lot.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I haven’t timed anything specifically, but O don’t find it any slower.  The Q was “snappy”—blazingly fast by Leica standards.  The Q2 in actual use feels the same to me.  On a recent trip to Cape Cod, New England, and NYC I don’t recall missing a single shout out of perhaps 1,000 exposures due to camera responsiveness.  Bad composition?  Sure.  Choosing the wrong white balance?  Or ISO?  Or aperture?  Or mis-timing a shot? Absolutely, but those things are on me not the camera.  If you aren’t using it for sports and aren’t using it to focus track something that is moving towards you in an erratic fashion you should be good.  “Snappy” is still an accurate description.

• Like 1

I am on the Adorama wait list for the Q2. I have a shoot next week so I rented the Q - I’m enjoying it very much, it’s a very different experience from my old M days - I had the M with 35mm Summilux and the M9 with a 50mm Noctilux f/0.95... Now looking at my top selects in Lightroom from my M days against the test images I’ve been shooting with the Q, I’m seeing a very noticeable difference in what I can only describe as the “Leica Look” - even though the resolution on the cameras are similar, I really believe that glass makes the biggest overall difference... The Noctilux was an absolute beast - it’s just hard to keep 10k invested in a single lens.

Even with the M9 my low light shots (especially the B/W conversions) are magical and probably the best images I’ve ever taken. The Noctilux was like an owl’s eye, it was able to collect light in the darkest of scenes...

On the Q/Q2 side of things, I do enjoy the 28mm aspect with such capability for shallow DOF, I love the macro mode, I kinda dig the auto focus (now that I’m 50 - all viewfinders are a challenge and I hate shooting with readers)... really looking forward to seeing what the differences in image quality will be between the Q/Q2.

On 8/3/2019 at 9:26 AM, KidSkee said:

On the Q/Q2 side of things, I do enjoy the 28mm aspect with such capability for shallow DOF, I love the macro mode, I kinda dig the auto focus (now that I’m 50 - all viewfinders are a challenge and I hate shooting with readers)... really looking forward to seeing what the differences in image quality will be between the Q/Q2.

Image quality difference is really minor in most situations.  It’s the same lens, after all.  The Q2 has less of a tendency to show Moiré, though you can get it if you have just the right frequency of detail.  I find that for my photography for most subjects 24 megapixels is actually ample.  However, the crop modes become much more practical with the Q2. I don’t even think about using it up to 50mm equivalent.  You do have to be careful at higher ISO’s if cropping much since per pixel SNR is a bit lower with the Q2.  

Sticking with the Q too.  That's Q too, not Q2!  

I don't crop, wannabe H C-B!  And I use it strictly as a 28mm camera, don't even know how to use the crop modes.  Just not worth it for me to change.  And I like it so much it would take a lot to get me to give it up.  

I do have Ms and other focal length M lenses, big fan of 35mm but I'll just use the M9 if I want 35mm in color.   But I guess I rarely do, because mostly I use either the Q or an M Monochrom.  I have a 28 and a 24, but almost always use the Monochrom with a 35.  

I'd consider a new Q if they came out with another focal length version.  

Edited by stevieboy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an amateur, part-time working teacher, so I cannot afford the Q2.
However, I've been dreaming about the Q ever since it was first anounced.

My Fuxi X100 had to go because the 35mm equiv. fov was just too narrow. (I got an X-Pro1 with 18mm f/2 instead and loved this combo!)

The previous week, I stumbled over an online auction by a (well-regarded!) pawn shop, offering the Leica Q (116) for as little as 2'000$ (buy now at 3'000$).
There was only one other guy bidding, so I got it at 2'100$, after missing out on the Q-P a few days before (same seller, but sold at 3'000$).

Now, I don't have a single cent left to buy any straps, thumb grips, half-cases, etc., but I'm very much looking forward to finally hold this baby in my hands.

(Also, I should get half of that money back from selling my Fuji stuff)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mbphotox said:

I'm an amateur, part-time working teacher, so I cannot afford the Q2.
However, I've been dreaming about the Q ever since it was first anounced.

My Fuxi X100 had to go because the 35mm equiv. fov was just too narrow. (I got an X-Pro1 with 18mm f/2 instead and loved this combo!)

The previous week, I stumbled over an online auction by a (well-regarded!) pawn shop, offering the Leica Q (116) for as little as 2'000$ (buy now at 3'000$).
There was only one other guy bidding, so I got it at 2'100$, after missing out on the Q-P a few days before (same seller, but sold at 3'000$).

Now, I don't have a single cent left to buy any straps, thumb grips, half-cases, etc., but I'm very much looking forward to finally hold this baby in my hands.

(Also, I should get half of that money back from selling my Fuji stuff)

Enjoy! Welcome to Leica.

Always the bigger capacity battery is seen as a plus for the Q2. I have some thoughts about that:

bigger electrical capacity is a plus, but the price is an enormous negative.

the Q battery is available everywhere. 

Is available in Panasonic version for half the Leica price, and several (good) third party brands for even a third of the Leica price.

The Q battery weight is much less than the Q2 battery weight.

I have one Leica Q battery, and three good alternatives for less than one Q2 battery.

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2019 at 9:27 AM, LexS said:

Always the bigger capacity battery is seen as a plus for the Q2. I have some thoughts about that:

bigger electrical capacity is a plus, but the price is an enormous negative.

the Q battery is available everywhere. 

Is available in Panasonic version for half the Leica price, and several (good) third party brands for even a third of the Leica price.

The Q battery weight is much less than the Q2 battery weight.

I have one Leica Q battery, and three good alternatives for less than one Q2 battery.

The Q2 battery capacity is far superior to the Q’s battery. Instead of buying an extra battery, just buy a Newcore charger and you can charge with any USB plug. Easy. You could even take along a cheap USB battery appliance. I never worry about the battery on the Q2 and have yet to run completely out in a day. It’s super strong. 

• Like 1

Q is my primary camera -- always with me, always by my side, always ready.

Other focal lengths?  SOLVED!  I now carry a smaller bag stuffed with:  Canon EOS-R mirrorless with 50/2.0 Summicron (type IV), 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit, 135/4.5 Hektor and the Canon RF 35/1.8 -- the camera has 3 custom settings: #1 for general usage with Canon RF lenses; #2 for portraits with any glass; #3 Leica M mode with manual everything.

In a pinch, I only carry the Q with the R w/50mm Summicron -- perfection in image quality at both 28mm and 50mm á la Henri C-B...  maybe I'll find a good Leica 35/1.4 Summilux to replace the autofocus RF35.

No Q2 needed here - that budget has only partially been used on Leica M glass!