Anyone Else Staying with Q over Q2?

I always buy used equipment and when the Q2 was announced, many owners started selling their Q's. I looked at new at $4995 versus used at $2400-$2700 for the original. I really goofed and bought 2 beautiful Q's for less than the price of the Q2. I don't need the 47mp sensor... I don't crop much.  I am currently using a dreaded Sony A7II for my other focal lengths with adapted glass.

The plan is to sell one which will further reduce my cost for the keeper. I notice there are folks out there who are leaning towards the original Q or are Q2 owners who find either too much money tied up in the purchase, or that the 47mp is coming at a cost in computational need.  Great deals out there on a still pretty good camera, seems to me.

It's the only way I could get in on a Q, or, rather, 2-Q's but not a Q2.

Couldn't be happier

Edited by codocee
typo

On 7/10/2019 at 4:47 AM, Hazesus said:

<snip>

If anything the Q1 has close to zero issues or bugs, just that photo app. but if you look at page 1 Q2 a lot of issues. 

Side note noticed how i didn't say nothing negative about the Q2. I'll leave that for someone else. 😁

Umm,  I agree with your point that the introduction of a new version doesn’t suddenly cause the old version to become garbage.  But your last point?  Didn’t you say something bad about the Q2 literally in the sentence just before claiming you had not said anything bad about the Q2?

My Q2 doesn't have anything I'd call issues - always some feature or improvement you wish for, but the Q had many and many are addressed with the Q2.  There's no way it is not a better iteration of the series.  Don't let the nit-picking fool you about that.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2019 at 10:29 AM, bags27 said:

+1 

I think this is a large part of it. The Q2's sensor in the hands of a talented photographer can render fantastically well. I think Dan Cook's photos of people get the skin tone exactly right, and I think that iQ2 (the other Dan!) has done brilliant macro photography (not that they both don't do other great things as well). But a lot of people are less interested in the entire arc of photography: measuring and understanding light, depth of field, saturation, dynamic range, etc., both in camera and in post. In some instances, what I've seen from more casual use of the Q2 is over-the-top digitized renderings. In other words, from my own aesthetic perspective, the Q is great for the casual photographer who isn't interested in exploring the technical aspects of photography. The Q2 is a great, but challenging tool for the avid amateur/professional who can handle its extra capabilities. I've seem a lot more "bad" photography (a completely relative and personal judgment on my part) out of the Q2 than out of the Q by many who are (understandably) just interested in taking a photograph. There are some cars that only a skilled and knowledgeable driver should buy, but the casual driver nevertheless buys and misuses or underuses them. Ditto with any elite piece of equipment.

Honestly, I don’t think it’s any easier or harder to get a good photograph out of either one.  They handle colors a little differently (particularly reds) and the white balance results are a little different, but it’s just as easy to take a lousy picture with either one, and difficult to make a compelling photo with any equipment.  I haven’t noticed that the Q2 data are any more challenging to process well than the Q.  

I wouldn’t judge based on the percentage of “keepers” being posted.  Most people are over the “newness” of the Q by now, since it’s been out for a few years, so we only see the images people are proud of, whereas the Q2 as the “new and exciting” camera has every other snapshot posted.  

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve had 4 Q’s since it launched. I keep selling them for the next big thing then regretting it - it’s a great tool.
Anyway, I bought the Q2 this week and just don’t see enough of a step up for my needs, to justify keeping it. 

Weathersealing is great but I’ve shot in the rain with my Q, with no problems and for the price difference I could buy another one if mine ever did get water damaged.  
The EVF is lovely on the Q2, but didn’t help me take better photos.
The battery life seems to be better on the Q2, but I’ve got a few batteries for the old one and they charge quickly via USB C so no great loss.
The faster shutter speed will make it easier to shoot wide open in sunlight without an ND filter, but it’s rarely been a problem.
The crop mode is fantastic. Period. I’ll miss that extra resolution.
The build quality is even better but the Q is already outstanding.

On balance, was is worth an extra £2,450 over what I paid for my Q? Not for me, so it’s going back tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omar.gurnah said:

I’ve had 4 Q’s since it launched. I keep selling them for the next big thing then regretting it - it’s a great tool.
On balance, was is worth an extra £2,450 over what I paid for my Q? Not for me, so it’s going back tomorrow.

Given your track record of buying and selling the Q, I'm expecting you to buy another Q2 the day AFTER tomorrow. 😀

Edited by bags27
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, omar.gurnah said:

Anyway, I bought the Q2 this week and just don’t see enough of a step up for my needs, to justify keeping it. 

Weathersealing is great but I’ve shot in the rain with my Q, with no problems and for the price difference I could buy another one if mine ever did get water damaged.  
The EVF is lovely on the Q2, but didn’t help me take better photos.
The battery life seems to be better on the Q2, but I’ve got a few batteries for the old one and they charge quickly via USB C so no great loss.
The faster shutter speed will make it easier to shoot wide open in sunlight without an ND filter, but it’s rarely been a problem.
The crop mode is fantastic. Period. I’ll miss that extra resolution.
The build quality is even better but the Q is already outstanding.

Are you able to return for full refund due to change of mind? 

If so, what then happens to that Q2, since it can no longer be sold as new?

1 hour ago, Mute-on said:

Are you able to return for full refund due to change of mind? 

If so, what then happens to that Q2, since it can no longer be sold as new?

Yes, we have the Distance Selling Act in the UK where you can return an item bought unseen (eg: online) as long as it is in perfect condition; which this is.

Edited by omar.gurnah

2 minutes ago, omar.gurnah said:

Yes, we have the Distance Selling Act in the UK which you can return an item bought unseen (eg: online) as long as it is in perfect condition; which this is.

Hmmmm. Very lucky! I’m not aware of any such legislation in Australia. 

Ken Rockwell is the all-time master of the order-and-return. Since he refuses to accept freebees from manufacturers, that's how he tests most of the massive amount of stuff on his website. I agree that it shouldn't be abused, but somehow he gets away with it.

Hi friends , am coming back to photography after a few long years . Been quite sometime since I sold my M4 and M6 and all my lenses :(

Wanted to buy Q2 and even did preorder but with the current queue , its going to be atleast 3 months from B&H before I get my hands on it. 

So thought of asking your opinion on a Q (new from 3700+) or even a QP (new from 3990+) or used from 3250 at B&H . Any thoughts ?

All I want is to get back my old leica experience .

Leica CL with Summicron 23mm is another option but significantly higher than a Q .Sure I could go with the pancake 18mm lens on the cl .

So lots of confusion making me wonder about my choices :)

Sold my Q in the hopes of getting Q2 but then with wait list and brand new QP at London dealers listed at a low price I opted for the latter: a fine piece of industrial design. And now I have it (lens just as good as those manufactured when Q was launched) I am happy to stay with it. Lovely camera! Didn't like the files from CL with M and adapter and the largish TL  35mm Summilux, but that's just a personal reaction.

4 hours ago, microview said:

Sold my Q in the hopes of getting Q2 but then with wait list and brand new QP at London dealers listed at a low price I opted for the latter: a fine piece of industrial design. And now I have it (lens just as good as those manufactured when Q was launched) I am happy to stay with it. Lovely camera! Didn't like the files from CL with M and adapter and the largish TL  35mm Summilux, but that's just a personal reaction.

Thank you ! Am going to order mine today I think. After months of grueling research, think Q-P will be perfect  

14 hours ago, microview said:

That's what I've done too.

Three years with my Q1, which I sold before the Q2 announcement as it was getting a bit shabby, and now a Q-P.  The Q2 seems too expensive for what it is so I bought a new lens for my M10 & the Q-P instead.

I used my first Q for a long-term project on drug use in SE Asia, and it survived many adventures including a drop on concrete, monsoon rains, and generally getting banged around and very dusty. The high ISO was great too. I never went higher than ISO1600 on my Q but frequently need to use ISO5000 on my M10.

A Magnum photographer suggested taping up the microphone holes and the dioptre wheel. I'm not sure if that made any difference but I never had dust ingress issues.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:05 AM, iQ2 said:

Whenever I read this thread and all the negatives, it makes me think rationalization is very active. We seem to need to justify our decisions regardless of what we choose. I agree completely with Hazesus. The Q is a fantastic camera. The Q2 is a fantastic camera. Welcome the new Q buyers and enjoy the new Q2. I’ve stated thIs before: I have zero regrets about upgrading to the Q2. It’s a great camera and not perfect just like every other camera. I chose to maximize the new features and capability and work around the few negatives. BTW, I’ve never thought of it as heavy. Really? The difference is minor. IMHO. 

I’m glad you got the Q2 because it allowed me to buy your Q.   I am extremely happy with the EVF on the Q.  Is it perhaps as good as the Q2.....can’t say since I’ve never used a Q2.  Does the Q2 have more resolution than the Q...yes....but it hasn’t posed as a problem yet for my photography.   The Q is a joy to use....and I am sure the Q2 is a joy as well.   Let’s take the best photographs we can with the cameras we own....whether it is a Q or a Q2.    Happy camper here.

• Like 6