Anyone Else Staying with Q over Q2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/25/2019 at 6:31 AM, bags27 said:

+1. I thought it was an odd comment. There may be ever so slightly more or slightly less IQ between the 2 cameras, but no significant difference in low light, from all that I've seen.

I know this is very grainy/noisy, but there was virtually no light. Q2 at ISO 6400. I'm very happy with it.

• Like 5

From the Olympic City USA luncheon at the Broadmoor Resort a couple weeks ago. 80 USA olympians including Peggy Fleming, Bonnie Blair, and Dick Fosbury. These are some of the high ISO photos that I took. Yes, there is more noise than at lower ISO, but it's very well behaved and I still ended up with excellent and usable images. The first two images are ISO 6400. The last is ISO 10,000. Taken with a Q2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Great photos, Dan! Impressive at ISO 10,000. Is that Peggy Fleming in fatigues? If so, why? 

Thanks Ken. No, A young soldier who's friends with one of the olympians. Here's a photo of Peggy Fleming (left) and Bonnie Blair with their husbands. Leica Q2, 1/125, f/1.7, ISO 6400. The lighting in the venue was awful from my perspective. Dark and lots of sharp spotlights. Deep shadows. I found it very challenging for both my Q2 and my Canon 5D3. I chose not to use a flash because it would have been so intrusive. In retrospect, I should have used a flash part of the time. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious about that greener grass, now that I've got the X1D II - I'm feeling less in need of cropping abilities of the Q2 - the battery life is nice, but the Q-P design is nice too...

And I'm always wondering about the difference in image quality between them - character, tonal quality etc..

Are there any comparisons which help make it clear? 

• Like 2

I worried about the Q2's "weather sealing" from the time they announced it. I don't believe that its vulnerability should prevent anyone from buying this excellent camera. But it should make every owner a bit cautious about "pushing the envelope" on the elements. It's not weatherproof. 

I did have one major disappointment with the Q2: its so-called weather sealing (‘dust and water splash proof’, according to its marketing). When I brought it with me to the Sahara, some sand got into the dials which made them quite stiff. I wasn’t in a sandstorm, and I hadn’t dropped it in the sand or anything; it’s just that in a desert, sand gets everywhere. No problem, I thought — the camera still worked, and I would just bring it back to the shop so they can help clean it. Well, Leica sent it to their service centre, who said that sand had gotten into the camera and damaged the lens elements, the warranty was void and it would cost more than A$2,700 to fix! Needless to say, I was somewhat… upset. Fortunately, after a few emails and calls to the manager of the store I bought from, who escalated the case, Leica decided to fix my camera for free as a gesture of goodwill… (It still took about four months to get my camera fixed and shipped back). While I completely believe it should have been covered under warranty, I guess the end result is the same. But, a word of warning if you’re thinking of buying the Q2 for its weather sealing: don’t. At least, not if you’re planning on visiting a desert any time soon.

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2019/11/03/leica-q2-sony-a7rii-and-morocco-the-long-and-short-of-it-by-joseph-koh/

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

47 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I worried about the Q2's "weather sealing" from the time they announced it. I don't believe that its vulnerability should prevent anyone from buying this excellent camera. But it should make every owner a bit cautious about "pushing the envelope" on the elements. It's not weatherproof. 

I did have one major disappointment with the Q2: its so-called weather sealing (‘dust and water splash proof’, according to its marketing). When I brought it with me to the Sahara, some sand got into the dials which made them quite stiff. I wasn’t in a sandstorm, and I hadn’t dropped it in the sand or anything; it’s just that in a desert, sand gets everywhere. No problem, I thought — the camera still worked, and I would just bring it back to the shop so they can help clean it. Well, Leica sent it to their service centre, who said that sand had gotten into the camera and damaged the lens elements, the warranty was void and it would cost more than A$2,700 to fix! Needless to say, I was somewhat… upset. Fortunately, after a few emails and calls to the manager of the store I bought from, who escalated the case, Leica decided to fix my camera for free as a gesture of goodwill… (It still took about four months to get my camera fixed and shipped back). While I completely believe it should have been covered under warranty, I guess the end result is the same. But, a word of warning if you’re thinking of buying the Q2 for its weather sealing: don’t. At least, not if you’re planning on visiting a desert any time soon.

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2019/11/03/leica-q2-sony-a7rii-and-morocco-the-long-and-short-of-it-by-joseph-koh/

i read this yesterday.  I do not know if an analog M would have any better fate.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I read the article. Thanks for the info. So what do you think of the “soul” of the Q2

I have an m10 and I have been reaching for the Q for many months now. It's a camera that's got it all. I hear that the q2 hunts in very low light, per a review by Steve Huff. My Q focuses instantly in low light. If the auto WB is too red, I just change the kelvin to 2700 or so. But I find that it's very rare that low light is too red.  I have a Canon 9500 printer and I can crop with the Q and easily print 9"x13". Costco prints even bigger even cropped to the 35mm option. So for me, it's still the Q. Comments welcome.   

• Like 1