A replacement for Lightroom?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, Paul. I did what you suggested and did the basic tutorial whereby you upload photos LR CC give you as tools (nursery play bricks.). On the one hand I think that with my education I should be able to do this alone, on the other hand I'm thinking I am going to save time and heartache by going back to (LR) nursery school. The basic tutorial was insightful, and allowed me to fix two 'problems' or dead ends I had run into. My next goal is to earn enough $$$$ from selling pics to cover the LR sub. Thanks again to you and other forum members for your insightful and helpful comments. 

Edited by ChateauMonty
  • Like 1

I have just discovered that my newly acquired Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Ver 2.3 (the one I have) does not, apparently, allow me to create TIFF files (which I need when sending pics to my agent). Or to watermark files, or set profiles for eg my www, FB, Insta or agent. You can see my due diligence is A1.

I hate the fact I cannot see file names in the main grid and only on the side menu. Imagine if the same principle applied on the restaurant menu? Side salad and fizzy water on the main menu. Steak tartare, cassoulet and foie gras tucked away in a side menu hidden behind the bar. 

I hate the fact it uploads everything to the cloud before you can even think about deleting the unusable images. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Going back to the old caveman version I have on my old caveman iMac powered by kindly elves.

Do not think I can face having to learn Capture One from scratch. Unless....

14 minutes ago, ChateauMonty said:

I have just discovered that my newly acquired Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Ver 2.3 (the one I have) does not, apparently, allow me to create TIFF files (which I need when sending pics to my agent). Or to watermark files, or set profiles for eg my www, FB, Insta or agent. You can see my due diligence is A1.

I hate the fact I cannot see file names in the main grid and only on the side menu. Imagine if the same principle applied on the restaurant menu? Side salad and fizzy water on the main menu. Steak tartare, cassoulet and foie gras tucked away in a side menu hidden behind the bar. 

I hate the fact it uploads everything to the cloud before you can even think about deleting the unusable images. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Going back to the old caveman version I have on my old caveman iMac powered by kindly elves.

Do not think I can face having to learn Capture One from scratch. Unless....

Switch to Lightroom Classic.  Same great features and control interface as prior perpetual LR license version.

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks, Jeff. Photoshop is not a bad 'bonus'- I am not the world expert on masking, but no doubt I am capable of learning how to make use of it.

100% with you re cloud storage. I do not need it. I also get driven mad by swirly icons telling me how far or fast an upload to the cloud I did not ask for is going ! 

I do not want a 3rd party being in some form a gatekeeper to my copyrighted work to the under-policed wide open spaces of Cloud Land (I earnt more money in a recent calendar year from royalties paid by people who had accidentally 'borrowed' photos online than via contracted magazine sales).

I no longer post any images on FB (in fact I post nothing on FB anymore). And apart from the odd cat photo (it's a long story...) have all but given up with Instagram. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

53 minutes ago, ChateauMonty said:

(I earnt more money in a recent calendar year from royalties paid by people who had accidentally 'borrowed' photos online than via contracted magazine sales).

I'm not sure if that's good or bad.  :)

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

The sad reality is that companies like Adobe and MSFT switched to the subscription model because their products were more stolen than not during the years that one simply bought the program and installed it one's computer.   We are all paying the price for the massive theft of software worldwide that was standard operating procedure for years. 

• Like 2

The only chance there is of reversing the change to the subscription model is to resist it, or continue to resist it, to degrade its profitability and to demonstrate its unpopularity to the vendors.  Social media is the vehicle that could achieve this.

Pete.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MAK said:

The sad reality is that companies like Adobe and MSFT switched to the subscription model because their products were more stolen than not during the years that one simply bought the program and installed it one's computer.   We are all paying the price for the massive theft of software worldwide that was standard operating procedure for years. 

What evidence do you have to support your assertion?

On 3/28/2019 at 4:22 PM, rosuna said:

Luminar 3 is an amateurish program. Too slow. Too many toy-tools, and it lacks several central tools Lightroom has. It is presented like "LR replacement", but it is not. The price is very low

This post is from March 2019. The developments in Luminar are running fast, the first version was dramatically less developed than the most recent and since March it has been improved significantly.  I am running a trial version of DxO this month, because of OP’s advice but the interface is not very intuitive, or recognizable when you’re used to LR or C1. The dust repair for instance is a weird working tool. 

If amateurish means that you don’t need a tutorial, which I seem to need with DxO, I prefer amateurish. The results of Luminar btw are very good and just as good as C1, which I never could say of LR

Edited by otto.f

On 7/21/2019 at 1:31 PM, MAK said:

I think you may be right.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:31 AM, MAK said:

I agree. But let's not forget that in the past for example Adobe PS was horribly expensive. You had to pay for many features you would never use for simple PP. LR helped out in this matter but it (purposely) lacked some very useful features only available in PS. 

I am still using older Adobe LR and PS (CS6) versions since I currently don't have a newer digital camera which would require newer RAW software converters which wouldn't work with my older program versions. I don't intend to go for the CC subscription model either. I have started to use the freeware Darktable now to replace LR (I don't rely on the cataloguing system of LR, so I am flexible here). Later I might go for DxO or Capture One software, too. 

I see more and more amateurs leaving the Adobe ship and going with above mentioned alternatives (including simple cellphone PP apps). I am sure Adobe will continue to be successful and profitable - but the majority of payable customers will be professional photographers and graphic designers, much less so amateurs. 

Not related to photography, but I have seen such thing to target only one main customer group in the past - Deutsche Bank intended 15 years ago to move their focus away from regular money savers and focus on high earning investors. This included a severe increase in fees. Many regular customers left the Deutsche Bank and went with other alternatives which offered more suitable options. 10 years later the Deutsche Bank was in trouble and admitted that it was a mistake to move the focus away from regular earners. When customers are gone, they normally don't easily come back either. 

Edited by Martin B

Re the point that Adobe (and others) have had their software copied I was in Italy recently and I met a chap who claimed he (somehow) got Adobe's new cloud-based software via hacking or via a mate who had hacked Adobe. I have no idea how he did it and did not ask.

I paid for mine and have the receipt. I get annoyed when people use my images without paying (they get sent an invoice, and no one so far has refused to pay...if they do refuse they know what will happen!). Stealing software is theft. And it is NOT a victimless crime, despite what anti-establishment morons may claim. They are the same morons who want public services without wanting to pay tax.  

24 minutes ago, terrycym said:

How did you get on with DarkTable Martin? 

Very well so far. There are nice tutorials online now on YouTube, too. The second edition improved much over the first beta version. Newer future versions will continue to improve, I am sure. IMO worthwhile checking it out. My biggest fear is that somebody buys at some point this freeware version and commercializes it........

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...