A replacement for Lightroom?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That I would never do! Just in case I win the Pulitzer Prize with one of my older photographs... :D
Seriously, it does happen from time to time that I would like to have a print from a photograph in my archive, and there is certainly an improvement in my (and Adobe's) postprocessing between then and now.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rob_w said:

I think Adobe is plundering the market because of its dominant position and, in fact, failing to develop its product further in ways which would justify the cost of ownership.

Maybe.

After playing with trial versions of many different Lightroom replacements I've found none that I could work with AND handled all of my files. Examples:

• One could not process the DNGs produced from my M 262.
  • I've scans of old photos.   Since they were scans of a B&W image I used a GRAY color profile.   Two of the replacements could not process JPEG images with a GRAY color profile.
  • Of the programs I tried only Lightroom could process HEIC files from my phone.
  • One program crashed every time I tried to edit an image until I blew away its catalog and re-imported the test images.   If that happened on a real catalog I'd have lost all my edits.

So far, only Lightroom handles all my images.   Perhaps, in spite of its shortcomings, that's what I'm paying for. 

• Thanks 1

I understand what you are saying and hope you post your PP-winning picture in the forum.😋

Ran out of disc space and realized I very rarely opened old RAWs, so I did something I would have never considered before.

All depends on your personal workflow.

Hello. I had to upgrade my iMac which had Adobe Lightroom 5 on it. This came free with an M240 I bought on this forum. Adobe told me I could download it again yesterday:

Thank you for contacting Adobe. Yes I have checked and located your serial key you are good to use the serial key of Lightroom 5 .I hope your issue resolved.So I'll go ahead and close the case .Thank you.

However....i cannot find from where I would be able to download LR5.....

Option 2 would involve copying the existing software from the old Mac to the new one. I have no idea how to do this or if it could work. Or use this old Mac just for photos, use my new Mac for everything else. Not great for workflow.....

Option 3 is to buy Capture One and install on the new Mac, learn the new software and...also face a bipolar editing situation 

Option 4.....any suggestions please?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by ChateauMonty

2 hours ago, ChateauMonty said:

Option 2 would involve copying the existing software from the old Mac to the new one. I have no idea how to do this or if it could work. Or use this old Mac just for photos, use my new Mac for everything else. Not great for workflow.....

Now that is childishly simple

;

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

Apple just told me that they cannot migrate third party software from one Mac to another using their migration tool. I still have another version of LR on my laptop (which came with my M9) so I can use that on the laptop.

Or go the Capture One route....but I imagine this might be a fire and frying pan situation....

• Thanks 1

As you probably know Adobe stopped selling the software version of LR I have only about a month or two ago. And it is not available for download as far as I can see on the Adobe website (and I would not download it from any source other than Adobe). So I will write to them again, and I guess the options might be:

1) Tough luck mate you missed the boat.

2) Why don't we offer you a free (extended) trial with our new subscription service.

3) We will find a way for you to download the software which you acquired legally from us and which you already have on your old computer (twice version in fact via our deal with Leica Camera).

4) None of the above.

Then my options will be to use my lapop (which has my other copy of LR) with an external drive for editing. But editing on a mid-sized Mac laptop whilst sitting next to an iMac whose screen is the size of a baseball field and which was bought to make editing easier will be slightly nuts.

I have briefly dabbled with Darktable and GIMP.  Each time I have quickly gone back to work with Bridge and Photoshop.  I am so comfortable with the Adobe products after so many years.  I have no issue with Adobe's monthly fee.  I would only leave Adobe if cloud operations were forced on Photoshop.  I think both Darktable and GIMP are very usable products and should be seriously considered for those who don't like the Adobe monthly fee model.

• 1 month later...

In the end Adobe told me the free-with-a-new-leica codes I had were for one computer only (fair enough). I did buy Adobe Photoshop v 2.3 for one (my new) computer but have not got used to it yet. The interface is v different to the 'old' version but this may be because I have not set it up correctly. 

Any suggestions for video tutorials for dummies (a club for which I am a paid up member) wd be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, ChateauMonty said:

In the end Adobe told me the free-with-a-new-leica codes I had were for one computer only (fair enough). I did buy Adobe Photoshop v 2.3 for one (my new) computer but have not got used to it yet. The interface is v different to the 'old' version but this may be because I have not set it up correctly. 

Any suggestions for video tutorials for dummies (a club for which I am a paid up member) wd be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Look for Adobe.tv, Julieanne Kost, Victoria Bampton (aka the Lightroom Queen) and others. I used Kost's extensively to get me going in PS. I found LR pretty well intuitive so rarely used tutorials except for a couple of matters I didn't understand.