Thumb grip for M240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone vouch for these types of grips? They seem alright but the M bodies with glass are considerable weight. I know that in theory the force my thumb would apply is securely distributed against the camera body and not the hot shoe but perhaps those of you who use these can comment if there is  practical experience to share.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

“They work well,  but I replaced my Thumbs-ups for my M9 and M-P with Steve Barnett’s Thumbies. I find them as good or better, and they leave the accessory shoe open. You can only buy them directly from mr Barnett; worth every penny!

Edited by Jean-Michel
  • Like 1

Thanks for responses. Thumbie seems also nice but I don't know about the adhesives. I suppose the Thumbie would be the best option because it's flush with the body in a better way. But it's only available in black -- don't know what to think about it lol. :)

26 minutes ago, mike3996 said:

Thanks for responses. Thumbie seems also nice but I don't know about the adhesives. I suppose the Thumbie would be the best option because it's flush with the body in a better way. But it's only available in black -- don't know what to think about it lol. :)

Thumbie uses Scotch double faced tape. Extremely stable and holds very well yet removable with dental floss or fine fishing line. You really can’t pry it off with your fingers. Shipped with a extra set of the tape.

49 minutes ago, mike3996 said:

Thanks. Seems like a solid choice without cluttering the look too much.

One word of caution. Make sure it’s exactly where you want it. That Scotch double sided tape is very unforgiving.

21 hours ago, jdlaing said:

One word of caution. Make sure it’s exactly where you want it. That Scotch double sided tape is very unforgiving.

The Thumbie comes with very easy and simple instructions for installing it on the camera, it is quite easy and somewhat forgiving as you wet the tape before applying the Thumbie to the body. Instructions for easily removing the Thumbie are also included as are spare pieces of tape for re-installing it. My Thumbies have not budged at all; and I use my cameras in both hot and frigid climates. 

Edited by Jean-Michel

I have one but honestly question the need. Now bear in mind I use a camera strap,  long enough to be slung over my neck and shoulder.  As a right handed shooter I balance 90% of the lens and camera weight in the palm of my left hand. Even shooting with a 90 Summicron and 135 APO there is no benefit to a thumbie in my opinion.  I removed it in a week. The doggone thing pokes you right in the solar plexis too when you are not shooting..ouch. No thanks, I’ll do with less.

12 hours ago, MMercier said:

I have one but honestly question the need. Now bear in mind I use a camera strap,  long enough to be slung over my neck and shoulder.  As a right handed shooter I balance 90% of the lens and camera weight in the palm of my left hand. Even shooting with a 90 Summicron and 135 APO there is no benefit to a thumbie in my opinion.  I removed it in a week. The doggone thing pokes you right in the solar plexis too when you are not shooting..ouch. No thanks, I’ll do with less.

I see where you're coming but I'm not using neckstraps. A wristrap has usually sufficed, with my right hand holding the weight.

I use a Match Technical thumb grip on my black M-D and I like the comfortable hold it provides. If you use a wrist strap, it will prove to be an invaluable addition. The black one brasses nicely too, if that's important to you.

Edited by plaidshirts

If you intend to use the EVF then Steve's Thumbie is the way to go.  

The grip doesn't occupy the hot shoe and, for that reason, you maintain a solid grip on the camera at all times.  The M is a heavy camera and when combined with a heavy lens, such as a Noctilux or brass Summilux ASPH, it can easily slip from your grasp.

If you do not touch the adhesive with your bare fingers during installation and ensure that the mating services are absolutely clean, there is no reason why the grip would come off.

+1 for Thumbie.  Doesn't poke my body the way Thumbs Up does and keep the hot shoe free.  Its just right, can't imagine not having it mounted. 

Had one the M9 too & the friend that bought it says its still holding well after 8 or 9 years

I don't go to rain forests...

• 3 weeks later...

I did order first the red one for my silver M-P. It isn't too big IMO and looks pretty damn good against the silver.

But it won't be long until I need to get a wide-angle lens and an external viewfinder. I asked Steve the Thumbie maker via eBay and he said he can just make a silver version to order, no problem. :) So I ordered a silver Thumbie right away.

Now I just gotta find a hot shoe cover that's not an ugly piece of black plastic. :x Judging from my experience with Leica and Mercedes, the Germans have a weird trait of adding the cheapest-looking accessories to most expensive items.

Edited by mike3996

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using the Thumbie ever since I discovered them some years ago. The biggest advantage is that it doesn't use the hotshot for attachment. The double stick tape attachment is as permanent as you want it to be. You can detach it with a firm upwards push and the box contains extra tape for re-attaching. Much cheaper than the ThumbsUp, better than the Chinese knockoffs and very well made.

I've used them from the time of the M8, have one on my M240 and just mounted one on my new CL. They can only be ordered by e-mail from Steven Barnet in the UK. Disclosure: I'm a Yank and ordering was no problem via Royal Mail to USPS and then delivery.

mailto:barnet@globalnet.co.uk  Price was £37 GBP ( approx. .$49 including shipment.)

Edited by lenspeeper