S adapter L on L mount cameras other than the SL

Stuart Richardson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do hope that our S lenses can be used on any of the Sigma and Panasonic L mount cameras, through the use of an adapter. Of course I understand that our lenses were not originally designed for a so-called full frame, but it sure will be nice to have the possibility. I can very well understand people interested in seeing what’s going to happen with their S lenses on a Foveon sensor. There are many, many people filming with Panasonic cameras which have relatively good video specifications at a reasonable price and people who have invested in S lenses would like to be able to use them for video.

Then there are people who are interested in having a not so expensive back up camera for their S camera. Be it a Leica SL, or any other L mount camera. I would like to see the L mount as open as possible, which would help a bit keeping the value of our lenses up and I’m sure it would also help Leica sell a few more S lenses, for one because of better Leica S brand awareness.

If all this is not possible for technical reasons, I would like the company to explain these to us, otherwise please make it so.

Like Stuart I have contacted Leica directly to ask them about this and their reply was kind of like along the same lines as was given to Stuart,  within the L mount consortium every member was free to do what they want and doesn’t have to share this particular information.

Edit: Which is a bit lame when I think about it, if there is no technical predicament, why not make sure the S adapter will work on other L mount cameras, I mean how many phone calls between the involved companies would that take? Some code exchanged or some new code written? 

Edited by peterv
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, peterv said:

I do hope that our S lenses can be used on any of the Sigma and Panasonic L mount cameras, through the use of an adapter. Of course I understand that our lenses were not originally designed for a so-called full frame, but it sure will be nice to have the possibility. I can very well understand people interested in seeing what’s going to happen with their S lenses on a Foveon sensor. There are many, many people filming with Panasonic cameras which have relatively good video specifications at a reasonable price and people who have invested in S lenses would like to be able to use them for video.

Then there are people who are interested in having a not so expensive back up camera for their S camera. Be it a Leica SL, or any other L mount camera. I would like to see the L mount as open as possible, which would help a bit keeping the value of our lenses up and I’m sure it would also help Leica sell a few more S lenses, for one because of better Leica S brand awareness.

If all this is not possible for technical reasons, I would like the company to explain these to us, otherwise please make it so.

Like Stuart I have contacted Leica directly to ask them about this and their reply was kind of like along the same lines as was given to Stuart,  within the L mount consortium every member was free to do what they want and doesn’t have to share this particular information.

Edit: Which is a bit lame when I think about it, if there is no technical predicament, why not make sure the S adapter will work on other L mount cameras, I mean how many phone calls between the involved companies would that take? Some code exchanged or some new code written? 

Well, Leica stood to loose most of their business cause the camera body will not sell as well as other company (ie Panasonic. Sigma probably will sell 3 camera bodies in 1 year, hahahah)... but they might sell more lens though...

I think Sigma gain the most in terms of market sales because their body with a L mount kind of open up the market somewhat compare to their original pathetic SA mount...

2 hours ago, xiaubauu2009 said:

Leica stood to loose most of their business cause the camera body will not sell as well as other company

Of course I don't have any knowledge about that, but it stands to reason that Leica made an assessment and that the L mount alliance is beneficial to them.

4 hours ago, peterv said:

Of course I don't have any knowledge about that, but it stands to reason that Leica made an assessment and that the L mount alliance is beneficial to them.

I think it's pretty obvious that they will sell more bodies, and a lot more lenses, now that they are sharing a lens mount with a major manufacturer. Think about it this way: how many cameras would they sell with an exclusive lens mount, now that Nikon and Canon have released their own mirrorless systems? Panasonic would also have designed their own mount if they hadn't adopted the L mount...

They tried that with the R cameras, how did that work out?

Now they have a shot at selling lenses and cameras to Panasonic customers. As I've stated before, it doesn't even matter if those customers buy new or used. Used prices support new prices.

One of the main barriers to entry into the SL system has been the cost of getting a basic kit, and the lack of "specialized" lenses. With Sigma and Panasonic on board, that's a thing of the past.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, peterv said:

true. People might want that Leica's color. Either way, as Bernard has pointed out, it's win win for everyone. Sale boost for Leica cause of bigger audience, prestige to Panasonic cause of Leica SL lens, and Sigma.... they can sell more than 3 bodies in a year....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, jip said:

The S lenses need higher power to run their autofocus motors than the L lenses, maybe the T/TL can't power them adequately. 

I will more believe that Leica closed off the protocol for TL users cause they decide that T/TL are amateurs, this sound more leica like.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TMKM said:

If Leica cannot give us the answer whether Lumix S1/S1R is fully compitable with Leica S lens via Leica SL-L adapter.

Can we get the answer from Panasonic Lumix ?

We certanly get the answer as soon as the S1/S1R is available - early April or thereabout (if my memory serves me well). Or by testers before that.

If Leica S lenses cannot be used when the bodies are released, they could potentially work with later firmware updates. Only Panasonic, or possibly Leica, can answer that question.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TMKM said:

Does anybody have any contact with Pasnasonic? May be we can ask them for an answer directly.

Good idea, maybe someone can ask here if/when their country does have Panasonic pro-service already. 

I asked around on various L Mount Facebook pages of which it is said that Panasonic is reading along.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2019 at 6:27 AM, TMKM said:

If Leica cannot give us the answer whether Lumix S1/S1R is fully compitable with Leica S lens via Leica SL-L adapter.

Can we get the answer from Panasonic Lumix ?

https://www.panasonicff.com/monthly-production-rate-for-panasonic-s1-s1r-and-s-lenses/ puts the number more 150 S1R and 600 S1 per month. At launch event they were able to give a couple of hundred journalists/vloggers sample cameras to use for the day. 

Hi, 
the L-Mount products are for cameras and lenses with a L-bayonet only. They need a general compatibility and work across brands. 

Adapters are not a part of the L-Mount Alliance. The Leica SL works with the S-Adapter, Leica CL and TL2 don't. We assume that S-lenses can't be used on Panasonic cameras. 

I hope that helps & best wishes, 
Marina - Leica Social Media Team

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, TMKM said:

Hi, 
the L-Mount products are for cameras and lenses with a L-bayonet only. They need a general compatibility and work across brands. 

Adapters are not a part of the L-Mount Alliance. The Leica SL works with the S-Adapter, Leica CL and TL2 don't. We assume that S-lenses can't be used on Panasonic cameras. 

I hope that helps & best wishes, 
Marina - Leica Social Media Team

I am not Marina,  i just repost Leica response to my question. 

I guest we have to wait untill the LUMIX is in the market and test it out , or someone in Paasonic to answer the question.

• Thanks 1

Naaah, the reports of the death of the S-system are greatly exaggerated 😊

I would think though, that life could be much more interesting with an S to L adapter that would work with ALL L-Mount stuff.

Especially for users that want to experiment with all kinds of glass.

Me, I just want an S3 😊