S adapter L on L mount cameras other than the SL

Stuart Richardson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, ZHNL said:

Sometime, the only way keep camera stable is tripod which is not an option most of times. 

EVF based camera need IBIS more than OVF general speaking, and tele lens need it more than not.  For handhold video shooting, it is a must feature IMHO.

I was not a belieber of IBIS before with Sony A7rII, but Z7 totally change the way I think about it. And this is the first thing I notice if I pack Z7 and S together in field and switch use between the two.

Anyway, I don’t expect S will have that, no expectation, no disappointment :)

Is the Z7's IBIS is noticeably better than the A7Rii's?

Edited by alan.y

8 hours ago, alan.y said:

Is the Z7's IBIS is noticeably better than the A7Rii's?

For me, it is. I constantly saw ill effect with A7rii IBIS. I could often get miserable failure with safe shutter speed without IBIS. And for slower speed, it also don’t get me absolutely sharpness meet my requirement. The problem happened so often make me question the effect was of IBIS for still shooting. Video is still helpful though.

Z7 don’t have those problem. I kind of default it on nowdays. 

• Like 1

obs...: "The Leica S to SL adapter doesn't allow AF nor aperture settings, the camera doesn't preclude use and the usual work around of manual focus does work, I didn't test the aperture work around of stop-down removal from an S body."

An advantage to SL2 in this respect, I guess.

• Like 1

If this is the definitive answer, that's just too bad, but I guess it was to be expected.

I held the Panasonic in my hands yesterday and I did not like it so I guess I won't miss much. As for the SL2, I'm going to keep a close eye on it in the coming months but it's probably going to be too expensive for me as an extra/backup camera.

It's would've been nice if the L-Mount were more open.

9 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Oof, that is a blow. Still hoping the SL2 and S3 can deliver at prices I can stomach...

Or maybe they can add support in firmware?

I would think so - but odd that Leica's electronic adapter doesn't properly work on the S1R...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It looks like we are gonna get more info on the SL2 in May.

Same sensor as the S1R as we already all know. 

From what I've heard today the body will be thiner and the price around 5.000eur.

No further info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just got my S1 and I am able to control aperture on my S35 and S70 via the Leica S-Adapter L.

AF does not work, but the moment you turn the focusing ring the camera punches in automatically.

The AF issue is definitely software and not power, as when I power on the camera with the lens attached it does its normal focus rack (like it does on the S body). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, adamquesada said:

I just got my S1 and I am able to control aperture on my S35 and S70 via the Leica S-Adapter L.

AF does not work, but the moment you turn the focusing ring the camera punches in automatically.

The AF issue is definitely software and not power, as when I power on the camera with the lens attached it does its normal focus rack (like it does on the S body). 

Excellent. Strange if S1R behaves differently. If so, a FW update should get S1R working as well. 

Indeed Helge, I was thinking the same thing, why the difference between the two cameras? Maybe there's too much competition from the high resolution SR1? Or maybe they thought it reasonable to make our lovely S glass at least available for video applications. Or maybe it is just the firmware in the S adapter L?

Oh well, I'm pretty sure I am reading too much into it and it's all just a matter of fuzzy firmware 😎

Perhaps in a few months all this will get sorted out in satisfactory way for us Leica S lens owners, the more options for our glass, the merrier.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TMKM said:

Just tested with the LEICA SL-L adapter with 30-90mm . 

Manual focus only

Apature can be control elecronically

Focal length can be detected

Image stabiliser work

Thanks. Which body, S1 or S1R? 

On 4/6/2019 at 3:49 AM, TMKM said:

both

Thank you very much for the reports. I assume the image will have correct EXIF data recorded, right?

One more question for manual focus:

Other than peaking and zoom view, does S1/S1R have any other focus aid such as confirmation dot, arrow?

S1R seems to be a wonderful platform for S glass offer IBIS,  S1R  can be used as native 1.25X tele-converter (more if you crop) and 30~90 zoom will be sharp corner to corner at any aperture with FF sensor. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope Leica and Panasonic will make the S lenses AF on teir bodies with firmware.

If the L-mount-partnership should be a success they should fully commit to it. I think it would also help the S-System. Some people may buy S-lenses (I think I am not alone believing S-lenses have a very gentle rendering and therefore for certain subjects can have advantages over certain SL-lenses).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

I really hope Leica and Panasonic will make the S lenses AF on teir bodies with firmware.

If the L-mount-partnership should be a success they should fully commit to it. I think it would also help the S-System. Some people may buy S-lenses (I think I am not alone believing S-lenses have a very gentle rendering and therefore for certain subjects can have advantages over certain SL-lenses).

+1 for the gentle rendering of the S-lenses, the 24, 45 and 120mm in particular (having no experience with the 30 and 100mm). The SL primes may be better optically (wrt flare, micro contrast, abberations, etc), but the S-lenses show a mix of Mandler-rendering and optical quality that is very pleasant (for my eyes, at least).

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 6:47 PM, adamquesada said:

On 4/8/2019 at 2:11 PM, ZHNL said:

Thank you very much for the reports. I assume the image will have correct EXIF data recorded, right?

One more question for manual focus:

Other than peaking and zoom view, does S1/S1R have any other focus aid such as confirmation dot, arrow?

S1R seems to be a wonderful platform for S glass offer IBIS,  S1R  can be used as native 1.25X tele-converter (more if you crop) and 30~90 zoom will be sharp corner to corner at any aperture with FF sensor. 

I want to ask and confirm a few things here:

1. Will S1/S1R control aperture of S glasses?

2. Will exit record correct aperture and focal length info?

3. Will IBIS automatically apply if S or S1R recognize the S  lens information?

I would appreciate anyone has the S glass and S1/R can help answer these questions  

thanks

Michael

23 hours ago, ZHNL said:

I want to ask and confirm a few things here:

1. Will S1/S1R control aperture of S glasses?

2. Will exit record correct aperture and focal length info?

3. Will IBIS automatically apply if S or S1R recognize the S  lens information?

I would appreciate anyone has the S glass and S1/R can help answer these questions  

thanks

Michael

Yes to all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to come back here and confirm for my own use. I know others have said that the adapter works for aperture and focal length etc, and I just want to confirm that for me it does as well. It works to stop down the aperture, as well as registering the focal length for the 30-90 zoom. So far so good, though I have not had a chance to fully test yet. Also, in reading the manual it said that the S adapter L was not made to stack with the other S adapters. Then I realized, hmmm, maybe I should try the V adapter. I did so and it works great. Obviously it is a dead adapter, but I am able to use my FE lenses, including my 250mm and 350mm FE lenses. I have not seen the sharpness yet, but it seems good in camera. This is proving to be a very adaptable camera, and the Electronic shutter means that in conjunction with the timer and stabilization, it will likely work better with the long adapted lenses than the S did (I could never get sharp results from the 350mm for example...I think it is so long and unbalanced that the shutter vibration killed any sharpness with the S, even with the mirror locked up.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1