M lenses advice for travel: only 2

Mikewest

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, erl said:

Those who say they don't miss their other lenses are deliberately using blinkered vision to validate their decision.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam but what is your POV of those people who don't own more than one focal length? Are they not deliberately using blinkered vision to validate their decision not to buy every focal length lens available? And what about owners of say a 35mm Summilux and a 35mm Summicron... is taking only the Summicron (or vice versa) out also "a restricting"?

A personal preference is just that. Why is being lighter and more mobile more or less restricting that having to carry a heavy bag full of lenses... and then spending time deciding which focal lens to use and more time around changing them. There is nothing wrong or more or less restrictive with either approach.

Edited by ianman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ianman said:

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam but what is your POV of those people who don't own more than one focal length? Are they not deliberately using blinkered vision to validate their decision not to buy every focal length lens available? And what about owners of say a 35mm Summilux and a 35mm Summicron... is taking only the Summicron (or vice versa) out also "a restricting"?

A personal preference is just that. Why is being lighter and more mobile more or less restricting that having to carry a heavy bag full of lenses... and then spending time deciding which focal lens to use and more time around changing them. There is nothing wrong or more or less restrictive with either approach.

Thank you for quoting me out of context. It is a great way to distort the original intent. Please read my entire comment (post #10) with a bit of understanding. Clearly someone with only one lens has no choice. The OP is not in that situation. He was asking for advice on what to take. My advice, in effect, was to take all three of his lenses. Leaving any behind IS blinkering one's vision, even if intended.

• Like 1

(

1 hour ago, erl said:

Thank you for quoting me out of context. It is a great way to distort the original intent. Please read my entire comment (post #10) with a bit of understanding. Clearly someone with only one lens has no choice. The OP is not in that situation. He was asking for advice on what to take. My advice, in effect, was to take all three of his lenses. Leaving any behind IS blinkering one's vision, even if intended.

The point is that restriction is also a way of suffering and can lead to great art. Your original post can indeed be interpreted either way. That’s why it wasn’t an offense to anyone. 

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, erl said:

Quoted in full, just in case people have difficulty following (which I don't think for a second btw).

So if I own 2, 5, 18 or 25 lenses and don't take them all, I'm somehow missing opportunities and have a blinkered vision? The issue of carrying the hole lot and having to decide which one tu mount, then mounting it won't make me miss opportunities?

I wrote in my post that I can understand different approaches and accept that neither is right or wrong. It would seem that you can't, only your POV is the correct one and all others are worthless. I wonder which one of us has "blinkered vision".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianman said:

Quoted in full, just in case people have difficulty following (which I don't think for a second btw).

So if I own 2, 5, 18 or 25 lenses and don't take them all, I'm somehow missing opportunities and have a blinkered vision? The issue of carrying the hole lot and having to decide which one tu mount, then mounting it won't make me miss opportunities?

I wrote in my post that I can understand different approaches and accept that neither is right or wrong. It would seem that you can't, only your POV is the correct one and all others are worthless. I wonder which one of us has "blinkered vision".

My comprehension is particularly poor. I don't understand your concocted scenario, or its point about your example of 'how many lenses'. However many 'you' have is presumably because you have selected them for use and realization of your vision. Excluding them without good reason is restriction, by my comprehension. Oops. I forgot, it is poor.

Your last paragraph is gratuitous and of your own invention. I have not claimed anyone's POV as worthless, as you state. Your comprehension seems somewhat less than mine.

I joined this forum hoping that it would be a cut above many of the other popular destinations and also to learn something. How disappointing to find a battle of the egos is as prevalent here as elsewhere.

Whatever happened to informed and civil discussion.

I'm very disappointed.

• Like 2

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Clactonian:

I joined this forum hoping that it would be a cut above many of the other popular destinations and also to learn something. How disappointing to find a battle of the egos is as prevalent here as elsewhere.

Whatever happened to informed and civil discussion.

I'm very disappointed.

Oh, don‘t worry. Their photographs are not an inch better than yours. 

I wrote a number of times that either approach is neither right or wrong, just different. 

No battle of egos here, nor verbal fisticuffs. There's no point in going on and on, nor making a mountain out of a mole hill. And to be brutally honest I have much more respect for Erl who at least stands by his - perfectly valid - view than others who just come here to try and stir things up using words like "battle of egos" and "verbal fisticuffs" or who belittle our photography (but I agree that Mike has some pretty awesome photographs on his site!)

Edited by ianman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ianman said:

I wrote a number of times that either approach is neither right or wrong, just different. 

No battle of egos here, nor verbal fisticuffs. There's no point in going on and on, nor making a mountain out of a mole hill. And to be brutally honest I have much more respect for Erl who at least stands by his - perfectly valid - view than others who just come here to try and stir things up using words like "battle of egos" and "verbal fisticuffs" or who belittle our photography (but I agree that Mike has some pretty awesome photographs on his site!)

Ianman, I totally agree with your latest post. You and I seem to disagree about lens 'choice', that is ok, but the other commenters, on our disagreement, are just stirrers.

• Thanks 1

i took 21sem,. 28 elmarit and 50 APO to Italy. I used all 3 lenses throughout the trip.

Myself I just stuck on a different lens every time and made the most out of it.

When  back home and I viewed my photos, out of the 3 lenses I found my fav pics were taken with the APO

For me the 50 APO is my most used lens, but now I know how each lens draws and where i want to use them.

Edited by lexontario
  • Like 1

Hello

For me It depends where I go (city, landscape,...) or if it is the first trip to this place, if we will walk alot. But in general I take 2 lenses: cities like Hong-Kong or New York 21SEM+35LUX. Cities I know well like Paris or London: 28CRON +50APO and if only outside and not night photography 21SEM+MATE

My vote is for the Summicron 35. Light, small, sharp and easy to focus. 60% of my images are shot with this lens.

I am going to New Zealand and Australia for vacation in a few months. I will take an M10 with Summicron 35, and a second M10 with Summilux 50. I will also have a 18 Super Elmar and Summicron 75 in my Billigham bag. I should be ready for anything with this kit.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.