Wide Angle lens advice for APS-C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all - haven't been very active on here - but promise some images soon!  

Anyway to the point - I've been really happy with my used T camera purchased in April but have mostly been using for images of my ceramic work that I make.  I have been using the Voigtlander 35 1.4 Nokton Classic and also the Leica Elmarit-M 90 2.8, with some excellent results.  However after a trip to Greece this summer felt that I am really missing the wide angle end of the scale!  My budget isn't overflowing, but interested in what you all felt I should save up for - How does the original Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 fair on the APSC sensor?  Reviews of it on FF were pretty bad!  I am going on a trip to India/Nepal next Easter and would like something for all of those sweeping landscapes I am expecting to see, as well as lots of crowded city shots!  HELP  :wacko:

PS I am damn impressed with the T - I know I am a couple of steps behind their current offering but it has proved itself to be a wonderful little thing!

2 options to consider : The T 11/23 is superb. So are the Voigtlander options, particularly the 15mm v3 (which will give you 22mm).  The v3 is exceptionally good on my SL 601. I'm not sure what reviews you have read, but my impressions are that it is an excellent choice.

Rob

Edited by ropo54

2 options to consider : The T 11/23 is superb. So are the Voigtlander options, particularly the 15mm v3 (which will give you 22mm). The v3 is exceptionally good on my SL 601. I'm not sure what reviews you have read, but my impressions are that it is an excellent choice.

Rob

Thanks rob! Yeah it was reviews for V1 & 2 that had crazy purple edges that made me suspect, but V3 is on my list I think. I’d LOVE the 11-23, haven’t tried the T with AF yet so that would be great, but tbh I’m really finding MF a good way at getting back into photography after so many years.

These were taken with the T with voigtlander 15mm v3

Rob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

This one was the T w 11/23.  

Rob

• Like 1

Think I’m going to have to sell my soul for an 11-23

JD Ceramics:

The 15mm would be fine if you are okay confined to 22-23mm, or want a less expensive option, or want to use it on a full frame camera.

Otherwise, the 11/23 is just more versatile with its range from 18-35 and with its autofocus option. 

Here's one with the TL2 w 11-23, taken in Warsaw, Poland this summer.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

Ditto,  VM Super Wide-Heliar f/4.5 15mm; v2 here on the original T. The latest version looks great. Makes for a very compact, fun setup.

Wonderful pic!  When you took pictures in colour on the V2 was there any purple cast on the sides or did the crop sensor deal with getting rid of that?

Same image in color. No profile selected in camera, profile selected in C1 11. No fall-off correction.
I do not remember seeing purple casts with this lens on either the M8.2 or T. I can send more example if desired.

L1000647.jpg

Edited by Peter_S
  • Like 1

I have used the v1 of the 15/4.5: http://joerivanderkloet.com/cosina-voigtlander-super-wide-heliar-154-5-v1-review/

I own the v3, which is a great lens, both on FF and on APS-C.

The v2 seems to have the magenta corners too. The V3 is considerably heavier and larger than the v2 and v1.

Okay that’s useful to know!