Is the 24-90 Good Enough for next Gen 48MP Sensor

jplomley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m about to finally add this lens to my kit for the SL. Thus far I have been using all M glass for landscape applications. My only concern, with it being a zoom, is will the resolution hold up to the next gen SL2 sensor at 48 MP? Or am I better waiting for the 21 and 28 primes to arrive to couple with the 50 and 90 APO Cron’s????

Edited by jplomley
  • Like 1

Oh my, let’s not start this debate again... :)

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/287168-really-“is-it-the-end-of-m-road”/page-21#entry3573759

In short, the zoom works well with the SL and will undoubtedly work well with an SL2. The bigger question is whether you want to work with a set of primes or a zoom, including lens speed considerations, OIS on the zoom, native SL lens weather sealing, size and weight, etc. IQ wouldn’t be on my list of concerns.

Jeff

• Like 1

My guess is yes, although slightly weak at 90mm compared to the 90mm M apo.  The difference is slight and the convenience of zooming would make a lens change unlikely for me.  

Edited by darylgo

This question insinuates that lenses can only serve a sensor up to so many pixels. This assumption is wrong. If you are happy with the performance of your lens then you will be happy with it on any sensor, no matter what the pixel count may be.

• Like 2

Update: Bought the lens yesterday from Camtec Photo in Montreal and the results are much better than I'd have predicted from a zoom. Seems the reports are true, these SL lenses are an entire new breed of optics which re-define 35mm performance. Only thing a bit odd is that at 50-90mm, there tends to be a bias in terms of the DOF partitioning, with more DOF in from of the focus plane than behind. Perhaps designed this way as we are now into the portraiture range and I suppose this is a strategy to keep the background out of focus whilst stopping down.  Anyway, cannot wait to add the 90-280 next.

• Like 3

All three SL zooms are outstanding optically & functionally as AF lenses.

Any other zooms in same focal length offered by other makers exceed the SL lenses currently?

SL primes are also superb, but the zooms offer the best match with SL body on weather sealing against tough external elements.

Chasing more pixels is simplify endless. Whatever good enough today will be superseded by improved technology tomorrow.

Camera makers do not dictate what pixel count on sensors. But rather apply what is available at the point in time available by sensor makers.

The 16-35mm SVE is probably the best of the bunch (considering the complexities of making a good wide zoom).

+1. And for the range 26-28mm, optically better and certainly much more flare resistant than any wa primes I have played with (but 21mm SEM remains optically excellent, and it is small).

Edited by helged

I’m about to finally add this lens to my kit for the SL. Thus far I have been using all M glass for landscape applications. My only concern, with it being a zoom, is will the resolution hold up to the next gen SL2 sensor at 48 MP? Or am I better waiting for the 21 and 28 primes to arrive to couple with the 50 and 90 APO Cron’s????

Well if it wasn't good enough, I would stop down until it's good enough. The shot discipline of high mp would require me to take care of a lot of other photography issues like ISO, tripods, strobes, etc to make it work effectively.