Buying M2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The DOF indicator started with the M2, but was also added to M3. My '55 M3 does not have it, but my '60 M3 does.

It was pretty limited usefulness, only for one focal length and 2 f-stops, so was dropped for M4 and later models.

Thanks. But after learning how it works, I can even use it on my digital M to estimate how much RF patch (mis)alignment is ok for a given f stop (for most used lens). There will be little bit of experiment involved to judge acceptable sharpness based on my enlargement need but it is adding a fun factor to RF experience.

I am geek at heart (an engineer by training) and get excited about such things. Don’t blame me. :)

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

And I don't know if you are aware but the M2 is the only M with depth of field indicators in the viewfinder.  There are two notches adjacent to the rangefinder patch, one on top and one on the bottom.  If the width of the rangefinder images fall within the narrow one, then depth of field is good for f5.6.  If width of the images fall within the wider notch, then depth of field is good for f11.

So besides having the most elegant viewfinder for 35/50/90 users, it has a very useful but often ignored depth of field indicators.  I think you will enjoy the camera and Tamarkin is one of my favorite dealers.  I have been buying from them since the mid 1980's and have NEVER had a problem.

Thank you, I had read about this before but forgotten about it, having just played with my M2 I think I will find this very useful.

• Like 1

Thank you, I had read about this before but forgotten about it, having just played with my M2 I think I will find this very useful.

That is unfair. Before I get the opportunity to hold mine in my hand.... well, Patience is a virtue I guess. (Tamarkin said certainly by end of next week).

• Like 1

That is unfair. Before I get the opportunity to hold mine in my hand.... well, Patience is a virtue I guess. (Tamarkin said certainly by end of next week).

I'm fortunate that I live close enough to Tamarkin that everything I get from him arrives the next day. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm fortunate that I live close enough to Tamarkin that everything I get from him arrives the next day. :)

The shipment delay gives me enough time to practice estimating exposure. :)

I think I will be ok since I started on manual film SLR with broken meter.

Hello Everybody,

Just to clarify for those who are reading this but do not have the instruction book for an M2 or an instruction book for a later M3:

The "notches" are for use with ANY 50mm lens. After focusing the lens: Where the 2 rangefinder images coincide exactly: The image in the image plane of that point is in focus. At all F stops.

When the separation of the 2 rangefinder images is no greater than the difference between the space represented by the notch with the SMALLER separation. Then everything that is in the image plane of the focus point, or that is in front of or is behind that image plane and is separated by that amount of separation, or less, will appear to be in focus when the lens is set at F5.6. Using a circle of confusion of 1/30mm as the standard for acceptable sharpness. Which was the Leitz standard of that time.

When the separation of the 2 rangefinder images is no greater than the difference between the space represented by the notch with the LARGER separation. Then everything that is in the image plane of the focus point, or that is in front of or is behind that image plane and is separated by that amount of separation or less, will appear to be in focus when the lens is set at F11. Using a circle of confusion of 1/30mm as the standard for acceptable sharpness. Which was the Leitz standard of the time.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 3

Have a chrome VC II meter I am not using and will make you a deal on. It used to live on my M2 but I am finding incident metering is more consistent and better suited to my taste.

Thanks for the offer but I will pass. Today I tried to guess exposure outside and inside house both and compared with my M240’s meter. I was ok within one stop. Since I will be shooting BW negatives, I will be fine... famous last words. :)

Not a problem at all.  I have a LOT of stuff and trying to trim down the collection but so far too lazy to place any adds.  How in the hell I got up to 8 lenses for the M I will never know.  I purchased this system initially because it is small and light compared to SLR's.  One lens is not enough or Leica would not have interchangeable lenses. 

Actually, I have done this several times since 1975 (first Leica, a CL).  I acquire gear, sell it and start over.  As my wife the psychologist says "Humans are creatures of habit."

The DOF indicator is pretty useless in practice which is probably why it was dropped in later models.

All lenses have a much more useful DOF scale engraved on the barrel.

The DOF indicator may be the least used feature of my M3, but I am partial to geeky over-engineering [have a look at the evolution of shutter curtain brakes in LTMs or some early Leitz accessories like the even more useless right angle finder for „candid“ shots, totally ridiculous, but charming all the more so ;) ]

Kind regards

Mathias

The DOF indicator is pretty useless in practice which is probably why it was dropped in later models.

All lenses have a much more useful DOF scale engraved on the barrel.

That is my experience, too. I have long resented intrusive displays in the viewfinder when a modest amount of experience works perfectly well. Our visual system is largely brain, and we should use it.

The M2 viewfinder notches do not interfere, are easily ignored. Do not consider them a disadvantage.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

I seem to spend eternities waiting at the door for a package from UPS, FedEx, or USPS.  It will be delivered by "end of day".  Well, FedEx allows you to put the package at a pickup site and then emails when the package is available for pickup.  This allows one to go about your business without being a prisoner in you own home.

I think UPS might do this as well.  Anyway, if I get an email from FedEx they get directed to the nearest pickup facility.  Makes the day go a lot smoother.

I seem to spend eternities waiting at the door for a package from UPS, FedEx, or USPS.  It will be delivered by "end of day".  Well, FedEx allows you to put the package at a pickup site and then emails when the package is available for pickup.  This allows one to go about your business without being a prisoner in you own home.

I think UPS might do this as well.  Anyway, if I get an email from FedEx they get directed to the nearest pickup facility.  Makes the day go a lot smoother.

In future I might do the same. In this case UPS gave four hour window. I am now two minutes outside that window. :(