antireflective black coating repair

dleibow

You could, although I'd probably not use a vacuum cleaner but something more gentle. And yes, you could repaint it, but to get really good long lasting adhesion, you really need to abrade the entire surface, which is a messy job and you could get particles in and around the focusing screen. A minor touch up isn't that big a deal, use a small camel-hair brush and flat black paint like that used for model airplanes/cars/trains from a hobby shop.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information floating on the web on this topic, including previous threads in this forum.

- Some say that the Palpas will never flake off and will not lead to debris caught in the camera innards

- Some say that it should be removed and replaced once it turns white / light grey because it turns gooey at that time

- Some say that IQ will be reduced markedly due to internal reflections, once it turns light grey

- Some say you can paint it

— Others say the opposite of all the above.

I am somewhat at a loss abot what to do with mine.

Does anyone out there has any rather recent experience with having the lining replaced by a camera repair shop? Even if parts were still available, it would most propably amount to a total financial write-off...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just took the lens off my R5 for a quick look.  The areas in mine are a similar grey, albeit smoother with fewer signs of crazing to those shown above in post #4.  When I bought it, it came with a twelve month warranty which expires mid-July...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was thinking of reactivating my R7 as a regular shooter. I even bought an additional lens.

Then I noticed the flaking and graying of the Palpas, then I noticed that sometimes the electronics will not switch on at all (making me stuck with the single mechanical 1/100 sec), then, today, the DOF preview mechanism broke. All things typical of R‘s at that age.

Sorry to say, I think I will stay with my M‘s and use the R as a paperweight...

Palpas is a 'fact of life' with the R cameras.

Take your hands off of the Palpas! The grey and tearing black have no influence on the photographic results.

In theory you can repair this black finish but it is not economical to do that...

The R cameras are mostly good working cameras and need after many years a CLA.

My R7 still does a good job.

• Like 2

Some of my R bodies have the internal black coating flaking off. Is there a way to fix that? Could I use a vacuum cleaner to remove all the loose coating, and then paint the inside with a black antireflective paint?

There are gentle vacuums intended to clean electronics, keyboards, etc. They include small tips.

Best brush applied flat black paint I've found is Testors 1149TT

• Like 1