How much does it cost to replace S2 motherboard? Who repaired it?

Newbie1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi! Friends, who has repaired his "S2-P" with serious problems in the service in Germany ? Tell me, what was the price of repair? As far as I know my problem can not be solved by multiple battery charging or leaving the camera without battery for many days. My problem is 99% on the motherboard, which will most likely be replaced completely at the service. I have asked Leica several times this question of the approximate cost to replace the motherboard, but they won't tell me an approximate price. It's hard for me to send them the camera now, but I might be able to do so if I know the approximate cost of the most expensive camera repair (replacing the entire motherboard). Do you think it will be more than 1000 euros, right? If it's more expensive, I might be better off selling the camera for parts.

PS The camera stopped working completely, two screens and all controls are completely disabled. However, the shutter button, exposure metering in the viewfinder and even autofocus works, but it doesn't record photos to the memory card. A warning signal flashes in the lower left corner of the viewfinder. The battery trick doesn't help, also attaching the grip (battery pack) doesn't help. Other memory cards, batteries, lenses do not help. The camera has not been exposed to rain. Careful use. A familiar repairman says that there is probably no voltage on the motherboard, that Leica will probably replace the entire motherboard.

Thank you all for any possible answers.

Newbie1, First, welcome to the forum.  You will find a good number of photographers who will offer sage advice on most topics, to include myself.  Second, I cannot give you an estimate for the cost of a new board for your S2-P.  If and I mean IF, Leica has a motherboard to change out of course they will do it.  Cost?  Very good question, only Leica Wetzlar can give you an answer.  If you are really wanting to repair a 10+ year old S camera, it will most likely cost you far more than selling it for parts as you wrote and buy a more recent S camera.  The S006 and 007 bodies are inexpensive now.  With the S006 you need to make sure the sensor does not have fungus or cracked and has been replaced. Third, the only way you are going to know if Leica can repair your S2-P is send it in for an estimate.  If Leica can repair the camera, I can say it will come back in better condition than when you sent it for repair.  When they do repairs such as yours, its a overhaul, and returned in excellent condition with a repair warranty.  Maybe others who have gone through this same event, will chime in.  r/ Mark

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Newbie1 said:

The camera stopped working completely, two screens and all controls are completely disabled. However, the shutter button, exposure metering in the viewfinder and even autofocus works, but it doesn't record photos to the memory card

It doesn't sound like the board is dead if it can do all that.

As stated above, the only way to know is to send it in for a free estimate. From your description, it sounds like a bad connection somewhere, maybe a flex cable. You have two sub-systems that are inoperative (storage and rear display), but others are OK (power, exposure, AF, shutter). It's not unlikely that the failed systems share a data cable.

On 9/15/2023 at 6:56 AM, Hans-Dieter Gülicher said:

I had some problems with my seconf hand S2 in 2020 (sensor corrotion etc.). Leica CS did repair it for nothing. But after all I bought my new S3.

Leica tends to have two modes for repair with the S system -- free and very expensive. They will not do anything without your approval (well...maybe if they don't plan to charge you), so your best bet is to send it in. The folks above are right...no one here is going to be able to give you an estimate because it is not clear what is wrong. I am sure Leica feels the same way. There is no one else who can repair the electronics in an S than Leica, so you really have two options: 1. Send it in. 2. Sell it for parts.

Personally I am not sure if there is a big market for parts, as no one really services an S camera except Leica, so at least from my perspective, I would suggest just sending it in.

On 9/14/2023 at 3:37 PM, Newbie1 said:

I have asked Leica several times this question of the approximate cost to replace the motherboard, but they won't tell me an approximate price.

Just for the record, it is my experience also that Leica will not quote for a specific repair until they have inspected the camera (or lens) themselves. For two reasons:

1) the actual problem may not be what the customer assumes it is, and

2) it is Leica policy to rewarranty the entire camera/lens after a repair - so they may fix (and charge for) any other problem they find, on factory inspection. Loose rings, missing screws, dust inside, etc.

As mentioned, you will get a quote before any work is done, so that you can approve or disapprove the amount first.