50mm 2.8 Elmar-m

nitrox1

1 hour ago, JapanFoto said:

I think it has already been discussed here -- but I can't make heads or tails of the answers.
Will the 50mm 2.8 Elmar-M fit on my M11 when pushed together without danger? Does anyone here do this regularly?
If it doesn't fit, it's no big deal -- then I don't have to confess to my lovely wife that I've bought another new lens.

I think that's because some people (not all) mix up two different questions:

1: Can de lens be collapsed while mounted on the camera
2: Can the lens be mounted on the camera while being collapsed

The answer to question 1 is a definite yes

The answer on question 2 is a maybe, it depends how much care you take that while mounting the lens the extended tube behind the mount doesn't touch any of the internals. If you move exactly along the axis in the middle of the mount it's OK, but if you shake a bit or move less accurate you can touch the rangefinder tab or other internals and damage these (or the lens). Leica in their manuals warns not to do this and first extend/lock the lens and then mount it on the camera.

• Like 3

At the end of the day, if the lens takes a special extra long lens cap, then you need to be careful or not use at all. 50mm Elmar-M and 90mm Macro-Elmar, both of which I have, take a standard lens cap. Note that excessive collapsing/retracting may lead to a hefty repair bill - for the lens. Just more moving parts, more to loosen and go wrong. Been there (with the 90 Macro). 

EDIT: okay, actually took a look at the 50, and now I see how it does go beyond the flange when collapsed. I guess I never use it that way. My advice would be to retract it before mounting. It is safe to collapse on camera though. The 90 macro does not go beyond the mount flange - easy to get those two confused. 

Edited by charlesphoto99