50mm 2.8 Elmar-m

nitrox1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thor’s Hammer at the Bryce Canyon National Park Amphitheater.

M240, 50/2.8 Elmar-M

• Like 11

I've really enjoyed using this lens the last couple of weeks.  Mine came with my m6j and has a very small nick in the front element. Because of this, and not knowing much about the lens, I had previously underestimated it and saw it as a 'bonus' that came with the body.  Really hope to have something to show here when the rolls are at the lab.  It's been awesome to use and looks great, a real conversation-starter

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 3

Both images Tri-X & Elmar-M 50:2.8 @ 2.8 

Really like this lens, super small and light.  I already fell victim to not fully extending it though and wasted a roll.  Not the lenses fault though let's be honest.   Hopefully one of those mistakes you only make once :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good lens, but sliding in and out takes too much time so  you sometimes miss beautiful photos. In general, I prefer the Color-Skopar 50mm f/2.5. The Elmar-M is also too "bite" for me.

gelatin silver print (elmar-m 50mm f2.8) leica mp

Erik.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Erik van Straten said:

Good lens, but sliding in and out takes too much time so  you sometimes miss beautiful photos.

FYI, I just leave mine extended all the time so it's ready. Still smaller and lighter than most even then. Plus less wear and tear on the mechanism (I do the same with my 90mm elmar macro). Just be sure to wipe or blow the tube off before collapsing it if it's been extended for a period of time in a dusty or dirty situation.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

FYI, I just leave mine extended all the time so it's ready. Still smaller and lighter than most even then. Plus less wear and tear on the mechanism (I do the same with my 90mm elmar macro). Just be sure to wipe or blow the tube off before collapsing it if it's been extended for a period of time in a dusty or dirty situation.

yes that's what I do ..  the only time it would be collapsed would be overnight, for example..  i.e when the camera is in use it's extended 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

19 minutes ago, grahamc said:

yes that's what I do ..  the only time it would be collapsed would be overnight, for example..  i.e when the camera is in use it's extended 

Exactly... it also minimizes the chances of accidental sensor damage during lens changes with a collapsed lens during a day of shooting.

An example from Banff NP, Alberta of Bow Lake and the Crowfoot Glacier.

M240, 50/2.8 Elmar-M

• Like 16

gelatin silver print (elmar-m 50mm f2.8) leica m3

Erik.

• Like 4

Thought I’d post a couple from yesterday’s hike with the M-D and 50 Elmar in this thread. 

• Like 8

• 2 years later...
On 2/7/2018 at 9:22 AM, lct said:

Leica warns against mounting collapsed in all its instruction manuals since the M8 if memory serves but this doesn't apply to Macro-Elmar 90/4 which protrudes less deeply. The worst case is that of Elmar 90/4 collapsible from the sixties which protrudes a lot more. As for Elmar 50/2.8, v1 and v2 don't protrude the same way but their "tube" cannot touch the sensor anyway. I would not take the risk to trigger the shutter when the lens is collapsed though, but i have no evidence that this could damage the lens or the shutter. BTW never collapse any Elmar when using the CL, this would damage the camera.

If I may ask, does it apply to Summitar f2 on CL? Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it has already been discussed here -- but I can't make heads or tails of the answers.
Will the 50mm 2.8 Elmar-M fit on my M11 when pushed together without danger? Does anyone here do this regularly?
If it doesn't fit, it's no big deal -- then I don't have to confess to my lovely wife that I've bought another new lens.

6 minutes ago, JapanFoto said:

Will the 50mm 2.8 Elmar-M fit on my M11 when pushed together without danger?

Leica advices that you mount and dismount any collapsible lens fully extended and locked. It will fit M11, and can be collapsed.  It isn't compulsory to collapse, I leave extended and it is still smaller than most other 50mm lenses. As with any other lens, easier to mount if set to closest focus stop as moves helicoil out of way of rangefinder cam.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JapanFoto said:

I think it has already been discussed here -- but I can't make heads or tails of the answers.
Will the 50mm 2.8 Elmar-M fit on my M11 when pushed together without danger? Does anyone here do this regularly?
If it doesn't fit, it's no big deal -- then I don't have to confess to my lovely wife that I've bought another new lens.

Physics - if the lens doesn't collapse beyond the mount, there is absolutely no way for it to touch the sensor or shutter. The 50mm Elmar-M doesn't collapse beyond the mount. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JapanFoto said:

...Will the 50mm 2.8 Elmar-M fit on my M11 when pushed together without danger?...

The quick answer is 'Yes'.

The slightly-longer-but-still-quick answer is 'Yes but be careful to ensure the rear of the lens tube doesn't foul any of the body's internals'.

Philip.

• Like 2