Your favourite focal lengths, and what do you shoot?

Keith_W

I shoot mostly family, vacation & landscape. After years of messing about I’ve arrived to 28 & 50. As a speciality lens, for me, I did also like 90. But it wasn’t used much and in the midst of GAS attack I part-ex’d it, which was a mistake.

I might buy another one at some point or maybe not... I don’t print much or big, so I can probably get away with cropping my 50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Mostly I take photos of family, on vacation, including villages and landscape. When I go on holiday I tend to bring 28, 35, 50, 90 and 135mm but I limit myself to three lenses in the bag, usually 35, 50 and 90mm, of which I use the 50 and 35 the most. This summer I never touched the 28 and 135mm and I mostly used the 50mm. 

On other occasions I sometimes like to limit myself to use one lens, 35 or 50mm mostly. It helps me to think about what I want to photograph and how.

Lex

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Keith, I am in the Netherlands, close to but not in Germany. Yes for landscapes 35 may often be too narrow. But for the wider landscapes I do sometimes use th 28mm (getting back to a place where I found the 35mm too narrow), but it very much depends on the kind of landscape you like to photograph. 

Your choice for 28 and 50 sounds great and it is fun to work with just those two lenses. After a day or so you will be used to choosing either one and you may imagine a view in your mind already.

Have fun!

Lex

• Like 2

^ True

Also great photos in your instagram!

I guess the one deciding factor for any lens is, how confident one is of his/her own style.

As opportunistic hobbyist my ”style” is all over the place. Sure the photos are similar in many ways, but I can’t define it. And I have a hard time zeroing in on details, like fex in many of your IG photos. You have a clear vision of what you want to achieve.

Thus my thinking is often that confined spaces need the 28 and when there’s room to breathe I take the 50.

But I try to learn, maybe one day I get there! I have already got to point where I pick either one and stick with it, avoiding switching lenses in the middle of ”shoot”.

• Like 3

Life was difficult when I was young and poor. I had only a cheap manual diaphragm 35mm for a Nikon F, however the images were satisfying, even to today.

Days of rage. Very last SDS assault, U of Chicago. Oh how I would like to know where those guys are today. There are more in the big box of films all entangled in a chaos of a big box in storage.

35mm Summilux V2 is my favorite today and since 1974. I've had three. Dropped the first two.

Edited by pico
  • Like 4

Of the four Leica lenses I have (28mm, 35mm, 50mm & 90mm), I don't have a favourite. They are used individually or in multiples depending on what I am doing, what I want to carry and where I am going.

I like 28mm & 50mm or 35mm & 90mm as a pair, 35mm or 50mm for a single focal length and 28mm, 50mm & 90mm as a set of three. Sometimes I carry all four lenses, sometimes I take just one lens.

For my Leica M photography, which is mainly street, urban, travel and landscape, this set is the most versatile for my personal use. Each of the four is viable as a single lens or as one of a pair, three or four lens set without need of an external finder.

• Like 6

Of the four Leica lenses I have (28mm, 35mm, 50mm & 90mm), I don't have a favourite. They are used individually or in multiples depending on what I am doing, what I want to carry and where I am going.

I like 28mm & 50mm or 35mm & 90mm as a pair, 35mm or 50mm for a single focal length and 28mm, 50mm & 90mm as a set of three. Sometimes I carry all four lenses, sometimes I take just one lens.

For my Leica M photography, which is mainly street, urban, travel and landscape, this set is the most versatile for my personal use. Each of the four is viable as a single lens or as one of a pair, three or four lens set without need of an external finder.

Well said.

• Like 2

I had a 50mm lens on the old Argus and on the Leica IIIc and the M4. Got my first 35 Chron with the early M6 - -  and never looked back. Yes, I used the 50, 24, 90 and 135 in addition, but my heart belongs to the 35 Chron.  A lens for most purposes. Not perfect, but quite adequate for one lens - one camera shooting.

My cameras and lenses are on the shelf (due to eyesight) but the slides from my various 35 Chrons keep me happy. (P-2002 projector)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I only own two lenses, a 35 Cron and a 50 Lux.

Because of its versatility I prefer the 35mm focal length. Also the 50 Lux is quite heavy but of course has the much nicer bokeh. I favor composition over bokeh, though.

35mm Summicron on Leica MP / CineStill 50D

35mm%20CineStill%2050D.jpg

35mm Summicron on Leica MP / CineStill 800T

35mm%20CineStill%20800T%201.jpg

35mm Summicron on Leica MP / CineStill 800T

35mm%20CineStill%20800T%202.jpg

35mm Summicron on Leica M 262

35mm%20M262.jpg

50mm Summilux on Leica M9

50mm%20M9.jpg

• Like 10