M10 Frame Selector Handle 'falls off'

willemr

• 3 weeks later...

Way back when, the rewind release lever on my M7 fell out.  This is, of course, a bit more critical to the operation of a film M.  I thumb-tightened the screw to get through the day, and then did send it in.

Also, the film M back door bump stops on the top of the door come off regularly, always replaced for free by New Jersey.

Those are my Leica parts falling off stories.

Eric

I have used Locktite blue for years and it is great.. Do not use the red version as you will never be able to take the lever off without damaging the mechanism...

Small amount!!!

Albert  :lol:  :(  :(

I used the blue version. Applied a bit with a toothpick, and the screwthinghy hasn't moved so far. So I have good hope.

I'm pretty sure it is caused by my left hand focusing the lens. The side of my hand rubs against the screw and do that enough and it works loose. Not keen to send to Germany nor self fix. Now it has happened am conscious of it, will tighten every time I use. If it falls off then will send back.

• 3 weeks later...

The frame selector lever fell off my Leica M10 sometime in the last three days.

This is the second problem with an M10 purchased in July - the first problem was the ISO dial not working a couple weeks after purchase. I’m reluctant to send it in again - already have a 35mm f/2 Summicron ASPH in for service since October 2017 and not due back until February, and I don’t want to be without an M-camera for that long.

I’m also a bit tired of quality issues in a $6800 camera. I had film advance problems with a new M7 in 1992, but never any other problems with Leica M cameras since 1969 - until this one.

** Has anyone successfully ordered an M10 replacement lever and retaining screw from Leica USA?

** And Jaap, which Micro-Tools Flexiclamp do you use to screw the lever back on? There are several sizes at the link you posted.

Edited by lecycliste

I would be very careful using the Microtools flex clamp to tighten down the preview lever. It can be very easy to over tighten is and snap the cover off from the threaded post which holds the lever in place. I witnessed a friend's M10 at the LHSA annual meeting here in Chicago where the preview lever had come off. Stefan Daniel took a look at it, but unfortunately super glue had been used to try and re-attach it by the owner so there was nothing Stefan could do. For those of you who don't know, Stefan began his career at Leica in the Service Dept in Wetzlar as a teenager, so he is quite capable of a proper repair!

I would suggest these problems come from vibration while transporting our cameras, even if we think the camera is quite safe in our bag. We have no way of knowing the shock and vibration camera gear receives in transit. I had all three screws back out of the focusing mount on a CV 50/1.1 a few years ago after flying from San Fran to Chicago. It kind of shocked me when I saw it, but I used some Loc Tite Blue and end of problem. This happens to all sorts of camera gear. That's one reason why a lot of pros would carry a good set of fine screwdrivers in their bags. With airline and TSA being what they are these days, this may be difficult to do.

I agree it is disappointing when this happens to our expensive Leica gear, but it does happen to a lot of other camera gear too. I don't think it is a particular QC problem at Leica per se.

Edited by derleicaman

This is the second problem with an M10 purchased in July - the first problem was the ISO dial not working a couple weeks after purchase. I’m reluctant to send it in again - already have a 35mm f/2 Summicron ASPH in for service since October 2017 and not due back until February, and I don’t want to be without an M-camera for that long.

The day Leica either seriously tightens their QC or provides a reasonable turn around time on repairs with loaners for pros for key equipment like primary lenses and bodies I will keel over and die just so I can roll over in my grave. 

They seem to be in a good financial position and yet they limp along when it comes to this. Last I heard when I wrote them about this they said they were working on it but I will believe it when I see it. 

Thank god for NPS.

• Like 1

I agree it is disappointing when this happens to our expensive Leica gear, but it does happen to a lot of other camera gear too. I don't think it is a particular QC problem at Leica per se.

I do. Since 2005 I have owned 4 Leicas. All of them have needed work, usually relating to issues that should be addressed by QC. my M10 the most so far, with 3 flaws straight out of the factory and one of them still unfixed after warrantied service (my frame lever didn't fall off, but it didn't work without manual intervention - which was the most minor problem). To give credit, Leica NJ has treated me well in regards to communication, but my camera still doesn't function quite as it is meant to. 

I have owned 6 nikons, 2 sonys, 2 fujis, 2 pentax. I have made over a million exposures with these cameras combined. Not one of the non-leicas ever had a hiccup. My experience with NPS and Fuji, when I got normal service done was more efficient and orderly, and also, they did the thing they were supposed to do. 

Edited by pgh

My M10 frame lever fell off recently, it was loose out of the box but I tightened it by hand.

Now it is gone and Leica Service in Melbourne have no M 10 spare parts as the camera is "too new".

The trip to Wetzlar for a new camera is not an option, I will go to the LHSA meeting in October and try my

luck in person.

I suspect a change of lens might have helped it fall off as it is difficult to turn the lever all the way round with a lens attached.

It is not the first problem with Leica for me, The S2 and macro 120mm did not work at all, out of the box. Fortunately the dealer had another lens.

A visit to Wetzlar Service by me was far from satisfactory. I was led to believe this could never happen as Quality control is so good.

I worked for Leica Microsystems for 20 years and saw very few factory faults with microscopes, but one very expensive objective had a lens element 

installed upside down. I was at Wetzlar with the objective and it was fixed while I waited.

I still love the gear .

Kangaroo 2012

• 1 year later...

A bit disappointed, I just sent my M10 in to Leica for a new lever. It began to swivel and dangle one day, I tightened it finger tight and forgot about it until the other day when I looked down where my finger was rolling over the stub that the lever screw into. I do have the Loctite 222MS which comes in a red bottle but forgot to use it.  The 222MS product is the correct product to use on small fasteners as it breaks free easily without having to apply heat like their higher strength series product requires. This seems to be occurring a lot more frequently that one might think!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Never had one come loose on an M. Had similar levers and knobs come loose on other cameras. I just put them back together with the requisite micro-dab of Loctite blue and never thought about it again. None ever caused any further problems. 

On 1/11/2018 at 6:44 AM, kangaroo2012 said:

My M10 frame lever fell off recently, it was loose out of the box but I tightened it by hand.

Now it is gone and Leica Service in Melbourne have no M 10 spare parts as the camera is "too new".

The trip to Wetzlar for a new camera is not an option, I will go to the LHSA meeting in October and try my

luck in person.

I suspect a change of lens might have helped it fall off as it is difficult to turn the lever all the way round with a lens attached.

It is not the first problem with Leica for me, The S2 and macro 120mm did not work at all, out of the box. Fortunately the dealer had another lens.

A visit to Wetzlar Service by me was far from satisfactory. I was led to believe this could never happen as Quality control is so good.

I worked for Leica Microsystems for 20 years and saw very few factory faults with microscopes, but one very expensive objective had a lens element 

installed upside down. I was at Wetzlar with the objective and it was fixed while I waited.

I still love the gear .

Kangaroo 2012

Why don't you mail to CS Wetzlar and ask them to send you one (and screw) ?

• Like 2