Frameline selector almost fell off

chris7273

• 3 months later...
On 9/18/2023 at 10:28 AM, wizard said:

Come on guys, screws DO get loose under certain conditions. Maybe the camera was subjected to vibrations for an extended period of time? Such as in an overhead airplane locker for example? IF a screw becomes loose, simply retighten it and all is well. I have had screws become loose on my various bicycles, cars, motorcycles and other devices, it is not unheard of and is an easy fix.

I had exactly the same thing happen with an M11M on day 2 with the frame selector lever. I tightened the screw but it kept coming loose, so I applied a small drop of loctite, problem solved. Can't help thinking, someone forgot to apply loctite on assembly. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hello Everybody,

I use red nail polish to hold small screws in place so that I can see any nail polish that ends up where it should not be.

I make sure that the nail polish is solvent in acetone. Because not all nail polishes are solvent in acetone.

I also only use a small amount of nail polish on the last few threads that are near the head/top of the screw.

I don't put any nail polish on or near the tip of the screw that goes into the camera first.

There usually is no need for more than a small amount at the top..

The same with eyeglass screws, etc.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

vor 9 Stunden schrieb 52K:

so I applied a small drop of loctite, problem solved.

Yes, Loctite 222 is the material of choice, it is ideal for small diameter screws and hardens under anaerobic conditions in contrast to nail polish.

• Like 1

Actually the problem is the thread which is slightly different from the old norm for cable releases, which is the one used for many soft releases. The Leica soft release predates the M11. 

17 hours ago, AndreasG said:

Yes, Loctite 222 is the material of choice, it is ideal for small diameter screws and hardens under anaerobic conditions in contrast to nail polish.

Hello Andreas,

In all of the years that I have used nail polish (Always solvent in acetone.) for holding any type of small screw in place, there has never been any problem, or loosening up, that I can remember.

Best Regards,

Michael

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Michael,

I accept your opinion, but please let me raise some concern as an engineer. Acetone as solvent in nail polish needs a lot of time to evaporate if locked within a metal thread - almost no access to the outside. Loctite(R) and similar materials from other manufacturers simply are curing fast, no solvent as ingredient. Furthermore, nail polish turns brittle over the time and the screw gets loose again, professional thread lockers do not. Certainly your method with nail polish does work to some extend as a quick fix, but it is not an approved method any camera maker would apply. A small bottle of Loctite costs only a few $$ and accompanies you almost lifelong for typical repair jobs at home.

greetings

Andreas

• Thanks 1

Hello Andreas,

I am glad that Loctite works well for you.

I have been using acetone solvent red nail polish for keeping small screws in place  since the 1970's.

I never had a screw loosen up that I can remember.

I only put the nail polish on the TOP (The part that is nearest the head of the screw) 1 millimeter, or so, of the threads that I want to keep tight. I have not found a need to put nail polish further down on the threads.

Works for me.

Sometimes there is more than 1 way to make a nice apple pie.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1