7artisans 50mm F1.1 Leica M Mount

AntonioF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is what the 7artisans looks like, mounted on the SL (taken with Leica T w 35 1.4TL)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I read somewhere that this lens is not compatible with the M4? Does anyone know if this is correct and why?

Edit: here

"The current version isn’t compatible with the Leica M4 and M4A, but models from September onward will be."

What is the M4A?

Comparison shots at f/1.1 (focus was lens cap) and f/2.8

(taken w SL 601)

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

well- I couldn't resist- I am a sucker for fast glass. I bid on one on ebay and won- a little lower than the buy now cost... so very cheap. I will be able to compare it direct to Noctilux f1 and canon f1.2. here are some old shots from the canon:

• Like 4

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Comparison shots at f/1.1 (focus was lens cap) and f/2.8

(taken w SL 601)

looks like there is about 3 inches of focus shift both near and far.........

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dig around in the packaging. Mine was in there loose.

I contacted my eBay seller and their response was one was not included, but if I paid them a $7 usd shipping cost that they would send one to me. Either they did not understand me completely, or different lots of the lenses did not include the screwdriver. I'm not sure!

Rob

Edited by ropo54

I contacted my eBay seller and their response was one was not included, but if I paid them a $7 usd shipping cost that they would send one to me. Either they did not understand me completely, or different lots of the lenses did not include the screwdriver. I'm not sure!

Rob

Mine was included in a plastic pouch inside the (sealed) lens box, so must have come from the factory. Also, the inside of the box cover has "Salute to Shutterbuy", whatever that means, printed in big bold silver letters. Yes, perhaps different batches were made.

• Like 1

Hello,

IMO, the bokeh style of 7Artisans is more important than the center sharpness it can provide.

Sorry to say, but based to test images posted in here, for my eye the bokeh of 7Artisans looks pretty terrible. It has a exaggarated halo -effect or "double image" -shadow in edges of distant objects . Somehow it reminds Nikon E-series 50/1.8 AiS, which has same type of shadow images in blurred areas. Some test images had a very mild circular bokeh -style effect (?), like in Helios 58mm lens.  Perhaps this is just a one sample from production line or it is appearing due to harsh background.

There are not so many test photos available in forums, so it is hard to say how much of these nuances are coming from lens design and how much is variation in samples and production tolerances.

On the other hands, 300euros is nothing from f1.1 lens, so why not to try it. It might be possble to get good sample :)

Edited by jarit

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Sorry to say, but based to test images posted in here, for my eye the bokeh of 7Artisans looks pretty terrible. It has a exaggarated halo -effect or "double image" -shadow in edges of distant objects :)

+1

USD30k or 300 bucks it's a complete waist of money. The pictures look sh!te

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I'm pretty happy to pay $0.85 per gram of this particular sh*. :p YMMV.

Glad to hear that

• Like 1

+1

Well, at least you do not feel strongly about it.  :)

FWIW, I'm having fun with it. It is much improved by 1.4 and 2.0, so for the inexpensive cost I am fine with its limitations.  

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 3

looks like there is about 3 inches of focus shift both near and far.........

Hello,

IMO, the bokeh style of 7Artisans is more important than the center sharpness it can provide.

Sorry to say, but based to test images posted in here, for my eye the bokeh of 7Artisans looks pretty terrible. It has a exaggarated halo -effect or "double image" -shadow in edges of distant objects 

+1

3+

Unsharp in the center, lots of focus shift and unpleasantly distracting bokeh. Sweet! 

Can't wait for the 35! https://leicarumors.com/2017/07/08/coming-soon-7artisans-35mm-f2-rangefinder-coupled-lens-for-leica-m-mount.aspx/   

If not the 'King of Bokeh', maybe it will be the 'Clueless Stepson of the King'?

But wait, there's more...it's also got the sensual aesthetics of a Government design shop exercise. Love the font! Seems to be the same as the instruction inserts to my kid's disposable toys from same said land.

Edited by james.liam

I suppose the forum is being used as an advertaiment channel.

Not really. Few here would bother to buy something so cheap would they? After all you do get what you pay for don't you, always.

• Like 1

I suppose the forum is being used as an advertaiment channel.

I had to google that.

Advertainment

Advertainment is a term used to reflect the intertwining relationships between advertising and entertainment. Typically it refers to media that combines various forms of entertainment (television, movies, songs, etc.) with elements of advertising to promote products or brands. An example would be product placement in a film. The word is a portmanteau of advertising and entertainment.

I had to google that.

Advertainment

Advertainment is a term used to reflect the intertwining relationships between advertising and entertainment. Typically it refers to media that combines various forms of entertainment (television, movies, songs, etc.) with elements of advertising to promote products or brands. An example would be product placement in a film. The word is a portmanteau of advertising and entertainment.

Now I've got to look up "portmanteau" :) 

port·man·teau

ˌpôrtˈmantō/
noun

1. 1
    a large trunk or suitcase, typically made of stiff leather and opening into two equal parts.
  2. 2
    a word blending the sounds and combining the meanings of two others, for example motel (from ‘motor’ and ‘hotel’) or brunch (from ‘breakfast’ and ‘lunch’).
    "podcast is a portmanteau, a made-up word coined from a combination of the words iPod and broadcast"
  • Like 2

Now I've got to look up "portmanteau" :) 

port·man·teau

ˌpôrtˈmantō/
noun

1. 1
    a large trunk or suitcase, typically made of stiff leather and opening into two equal parts.
  2. 2
    a word blending the sounds and combining the meanings of two others, for example motel (from ‘motor’ and ‘hotel’) or brunch (from ‘breakfast’ and ‘lunch’).
    "podcast is a portmanteau, a made-up word coined from a combination of the words iPod and broadcast"

Un porte manteau = coat hanger 

not related to the Sydney bridge...

18795019408_2de3d20f54_b.jpgSydney "Coat Hanger" Bridge by JM__, on Flickr