7artisans 50mm F1.1 Leica M Mount

AntonioF

Wishful thinking and pathetic.

But you are not alone: some people are still waiting for their M8 to suddenly soar in price.

Because you know, "it's the first digital", "the best black and white machine", "a classic" and whatnot.

And there seems to be a lot of positive propaganda going on in forums in hopes to bring its prices up. But don't be fooled, it's only people wanting to unload their pos M8.

Also, there was an attempt to pseudo-hype the voigtlander 35 f1.2 first version when the second version was announced.

"Buy the first version and don't touch it. It's gonna be a classic and it's going to double...". And it never stopped losong value ever since.

Too many Leica-market experts. They're fun to watch because over time you get to see them lose a lot of money, lose credibility, sometimes they even get out of the leica world, frustrated.

So my advice to you would be that you biy 40 of those bad lenses. At least you'd have an advantage: you'd control the market, somewhat. You could control rarity and maybe make 35$ extra apiece. But that would take you a few years.

It's called tongue in cheek, Ned. A bit like "venerating the 35Cron V2", if that sounds familiar...

The 7artisans will be worn out before my grandchildren are born - and, since you mention it, so will probably the CV 35/1.2 V1 btw, which is a more interesting lens IMO than the V2.

But I generally agree with what you are saying: speculation is a tricky game.

• Like 1

Quite a Bad performer.

Have you got that lens? Have you shot with it? Or is your judgement only based on photos you saw on the internet?

Gentlemen, it's an f/1.1 lens. Of course, it's difficult to hit the focus with a rangefinder when used wide open.

It needs to be (and can be) adjusted to the camera you are using. If this is done properly, focus is very precise.

Yes, the corners never really get excellent on a fullframe cam, but this lens is available at the fraction of a price of a Noctilux.

For portraits I don't care about the corner performance, really. And for portraits this lens IMHO highly recommended.

It's a totally different lens than e.g. my Summicron 50 is, rather a complement to a 50 Cron than a replacement.

And again at that price, it might as well be a complementary lens.

If you seriously expect an optically perfect lens that offers f/1.1 at this price, you might be a little too optimistic.

The built quality is very good, by the way.

Edited by LucisPictor
  • Like 6

Did You test the focusshift (really testing with a rule or better with a Spyder Lenscal http://www.datacolor.com/de/fotografie-design/produkte/spyderlenscal/ , no impressions from handheld photos). Focusshift is the only thing, that distracts me from buying this lens. All similar lens construction, especially the Voigtländer Nocton, have bad focusshift.

• Like 1

I was hoping it was tongue in cheek, and I would have seen it if if wasn't about Leica. But unfortunately, in the Leica world this thinking is comon so how could I know? :)

It's called tongue in cheek, Ned. A bit like "venerating the 35Cron V2", if that sounds familiar...

The 7artisans will be worn out before my grandchildren are born - and, since you mention it, so will probably the CV 35/1.2 V1 btw, which is a more interesting lens IMO than the V2.

But I generally agree with what you are saying: speculation is a tricky game.

• Like 1

All similar lens construction, especially the Voigtländer Nocton, have bad focusshift.

OT, but I was concerned with focus shift when I bought the Nokton f1.1  When I received it I tested for it, but could not see it.  The test was conducted from tripod at close to minimum focus distance (supposedly worst case for Nokton focus shift).  I Started at F1.1 and, without re-focusing, shot at half stop intervals down to F4.  In each subsequent image the initial focus point remained in focus and the DOF increased to encompass more of the subject.  I have always lusted after a Noctilux and got the Nokton to see if I would be comfortable with Noctilux-like size, weight, and razor thin wide-open DOF. I'm impressed with the Nokon, but the jury is still out as to whether this (or a Noctilux) is a lens I will shoot often.  

• Like 1

I did not perform a Sean Reid style test using a 2D subject, which might have produced a different result.  Instead I used a 3D subject since that is all I photograph.  In that instance there was no detectable focus shift.

Edited by Luke_Miller

I don’t know if this video was already linked here, but just in case it wasn’t:

It confirms that the 7A is optimized for center sharpness and has some similarities to the old Canon 0.95/50. So, depending on your goals it might be a good fit – or it would be better to get the Voigtländer 1.5/50 instead … (well in this price range it would be possible to get both ;)).

• Like 2

All I know is that the M4 mount does not differ from the M3, M2 or M6 Mount (or any other Mount of any film or digital M). There are no other lenses which cannot be mounted to an M4, if they work on the other bodies - as fas as I know.

The M5 is different, since the mechanism for metereing could collide with parts of the lens which protrude into the body. But they don't mention the M5.

All I know is that the M4 mount does not differ from the M3, M2 or M6 Mount (or any other Mount of any film or digital M). There are no other lenses which cannot be mounted to an M4, if they work on the other bodies - as fas as I know.

The M5 is different, since the mechanism for metereing could collide with parts of the lens which protrude into the body. But they don't mention the M5.

There were very subtle mechanical differences between the models in the past, and it happened before that specific lenses could have problems with certain camera models, but this was in the M2/M3 era, as far as I remember. Tiny little things can be of importance, small differences in size can prevent locking. Nothing too serious I’d guess. I wonder if Leica engineers are aware of all these differences …

Oh, and the digital Ms differ widely from the old analog Ms. Well, it is not the mount itself that differs (or at least not significantly), but what is behind it. You can’t mount the Dual-range Summicron on any digital M, not even on the M10 (with its protruded mount). Maybe it is something in this regard with the M4 and the 7A.

Edited by caugustin