7artisans 50mm F1.1 Leica M Mount

AntonioF

In addition to the convenience of a fast lens that you don't need to look after - which would be valuable to me in a few circumstances I can think of - I must say I'm intrigued by how the user-adjustable calibration is implemented. I think it may be quite different from the "coma adjustment" offered by the Sonnetar and possibly a very smart feature to deal with fine lens-body adjustment ... and pass on the users the onus to correct for potential sample variability (provided of course that there are no major manufacturing flaws, such as de-centering of elements)...

Edited by Ecar

"User adjusted" (not to be confused with Sigma's elegant solution) is a slacker's way to sell untested stuff.

At least it can be adjusted, not a deal maker for me but my thumbs up for this .

"User adjusted" (not to be confused with Sigma's elegant solution) is a slacker's way to sell untested stuff.

You may be right - and I haven't received the lens yet, so can't comment on the 7artisans' solution (perhaps others could?)

All I can say is that I have had a few lenses (including Leica's very own...) that were noticeably off right off the box and that I would have welcomed the opportunity to adjust them myself.

Also, having briefly looked at Sigma's solution, it seems indeed to help DSLR users fix the lens themselves - as opposed to making in-camera micro-adjustments or sending the lens to a service center. But I fail to understand why it's particularly elegant, other than the fact that it uses software to dial in the required adjustments (it couldn't be otherwise as these are AF lenses after all), instead of turning screws or playing with shims in RF or other manual lenses. What did I miss here?

• Like 1

I have just ordered one.

I just hope do not have to pay extra customs fees.

It should arrive between 18 - 22 July.

The buying trigger was knowing the possibility of adjusting the focus.

João

Edited by jcblxpt
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many seem quick to dismiss anything from China, but I've visited and worked with enough extremely talented engineers from China to know that world class product design is something we will see more and more of from them.

The new professional generation has a hunger for success and for aspirational products ; together more than enough to motivate designers and CEOs to move upmarket.

The images posted seem to show less glow than the MS Sonnetar

The focus set calibration seems to show new thought to individual Sonnar use optimization.

My copy should be here next week ; so I will soon discover if it is a lemon or the new fad.

It joins a Noctilux 50/0.95 , MS Sonnetar 50/1.1, Summilux ASPH 50/1.4 and a ZM Sonnar 50/1.5 

• Like 5

I have just ordered one.

I just hope do not have to pay extra customs fees.

It should arrive between 18 - 22 July.

The buying trigger was knowing the possibility of adjusting the focus.

João

Many seem quick to dismiss anything from China, but I've visited and worked with enough extremely talented engineers from China to know that world class product design is something we will see more and more of from them.

The new professional generation has a hunger for success and for aspirational products ; together more than enough to motivate designers and CEOs to move upmarket.

The images posted seem to show less glow than the MS Sonnetar

The focus set calibration seems to show new thought to individual Sonnar use optimization.

My copy should be here next week ; so I will soon discover if it is a lemon or the new fad.

It joins a Noctilux 50/0.95 , MS Sonnetar 50/1.1, Summilux ASPH 50/1.4 and a ZM Sonnar 50/1.5 

Please share your results/thoughts soon !

If nothing else it may allow QC costs to be put into other areas and reduce price as a result. I'm really interested to hear user's views once they have copies. I do agree on some stuff from China. Not everything, but some gear I've bought or seen is quite simply at least as good as gear costing a great deal (x10) more from some well established 'named' manufacturers who manufacture outside China. Its a hard world with such price differentials.

A couple more samples from the lens. I uploaded them to this site, but it appears the site is downrezzing pretty harshly, so it's hard to get a feel. I'll repost these images somewhere else...

L1000004

L1000005

The bokeh will be the big qualifier on the lens... it's not going to handle foliage dependably well, it seems.

• Like 2

http://imgur.com/a/ce6LQ For the images uploaded there, plus center crops of a couple of them. It's not a terrible lens, but hard to see as a dependable walk-around lens. Someday, I will actually get a Noctilux...

Thanks. Unless you cropped the images somewhat, or applied corrections, this lens strikes me as having much less vignetting than I'd have expected.

But I agree that the bokeh is not the most beautiful I have seen - not very smooth for a so-called "Sonnar" lens...

Thanks. Unless you cropped the images somewhat, or applied corrections, this lens strikes me as having much less vignetting than I'd have expected.

But I agree that the bokeh is not the most beautiful I have seen - not very smooth for a so-called "Sonnar" lens...

No crops, except the center crop. It comes six bit coded as a Noctilux, so Lightroom will be applying lens corrections for that. Forgot to mention that part...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It is of a purported Sonnar optical design.

Here is a translation from this source: http://www.nphoto.net/news/2017-06/26/f85701cc5dc67294.shtml

七工匠50mm f/1.1镜头规格:(Specs)

• 镜头结构:7片6组                  (Lens Structure: 7 elements in 6 groups)
  • 光圈叶片数:12片                  (Aperture blades: 12)
  • 最近对焦距离:0.7m              (MFD: 0.7m)
  • 滤镜尺寸:55mm                   (Filter thread size: 55mm)
  • 镜头重量:400g                     (weight: 400g)
  • 镜头尺寸:49mm x 60mm     (dimensions: 49mm X 60mm)

Quick question: it seems that the lens doesn't come with a hood. Do you know what the filter thread size is? Thanks.

I don't know what all the QC bashing is about? I've never seen a lens out of China with the entire optical assembly installed upside down. Unlike lenses from Germany which cost many times more. If anything, QC from Europe really needs be brought up to speed to match that of China.

In the end, this lens is only 1/2 the cost of the CV equivalent at retail. This lens appears to be sold more or less direct (not through dealers anyway) which would account for most if not all of that price difference.

All we hear is that the Noctilux is excellent but too expensive for many. A cheaper alternative arrives and everyone derides it without even trying it. It just reads like a bunch of elitist snobbery.

• Like 16

All we hear is that the Noctilux is excellent but too expensive for many. A cheaper alternative arrives and everyone derides it without even trying it. It just reads like a bunch of elitist snobbery.

Yep. The "fiasco" behind the Hyperprime was one of community derision and mistrust, more than it was lens quality. It's biggest problem was the stigma associated with being a Chinese lens with no reputation. It was a capable lens that had the gall to present itself as a Noctilux alternative.

Objectively, this 7Artisans lens doesn't compare super-favorably to a Noctilux, for the sort of image one buys superfast lenses for. But I could get one of these a month for a year and still have money to get an M10 for the cost of a Noctilux. I like it better than the CV and Sonnetar, which are more expensive. It's better than many old Leica lenses that cost more on ebay.

I am still going to walk around with my 50 Summilux most of the time. But it's an interesting lens, and, in the world of expensive Leica glass, worth the four Benjamins.

• Like 6