AF Drive Problems Leica S Lenses: Official Statement by Leica

LUF Admin

I purchased a used S 35mm from a Norwegian dealer some time ago. The lens worked fine but it was sent by the dealer to Leica, and it got a new focus motor. I guess it took 7 weeks altogether. No cost on the dealer or me, and the lens works fine.

I got my 24 fixed I bought pre-owned. Took the usual eight weeks here (I understand at least 1-2 weeks are due to tax paper work for Leica between Switzerland and Germany). No issues.

I have usually had a three week turnaround (South of France and North of Scotland), so just over a week in Wetzlar.

john

All six of my S lenses, save the 180, have been back to Germany at least once and two twice. While the turnaround times have been longer here in the States than those noted above, they all are now functioning perfectly and I am quite happy with them and Leicas handling of this problem. I might ad that two of my lenses were simply replaced by Allendale and that John Kreidler provided a loaner for me while another went back for repair.

Well done Leica.

I have usually had a three week turnaround (South of France and North of Scotland), so just over a week in Wetzlar.

john

Switzerland is not in the EU. Import duty declarations required. Lots of waiting, I guess. I did however share my thoughts on this with the person at Leica being responsible for services for clients from Switzerland.

• 1 month later...

I got my 24 fixed I bought pre-owned. Took the usual eight weeks here (I understand at least 1-2 weeks are due to tax paper work for Leica between Switzerland and Germany). No issues.

Quoting myself - the 120 is en route to Wetzlar now - AF gear issue. it drives me nuts that they cannot fix it in the country. Eight weeks. Again.

Quoting myself - the 120 is en route to Wetzlar now - AF gear issue. it drives me nuts that they cannot fix it in the country. Eight weeks. Again.

Despite the frustrating wait, it's better to have this happen to you now (as opposed to after "five years from purchase"), so you can get the lens fixed for free.

• 3 weeks later...

Think that it is reasonable to assume that, if the fault does not arise in five years it's very unlikely to do so. We don't know what percentage of production before the redesign was actually affected of course. I don't think that a complete recall is warranted nor realistic personally. At least I am not aware of any lens manufacturers doing that on the basis of an unlimited warranty for a design weakness that may just possibly cause a problem.

I am not just blindly supporting Leica in saying that. My lenses haven't failed in about 35000 exposures so far and I wouldn't send them for a preventative service even if offered free on the basis of that five year warranty for that possible defect. In fact my S is in Wetzlar for an expensive repair right now that gives me concern about its robustness.

No one has yet commented on the additional 12 months warranty that results from that preemptive fix if you choose to send a lens now that does not exhibit the fault. I think that is a value consideration perhaps for anyone considering doing that. That extra warranty (on the whole lens or body) of course is their normal policy for repairs. Actually in my view the original (only) 12 months is just adequate for a premium product range. I don't know what other comparable manufacturers offer in comparison.

hmmm, I posted after this that my 70CS did fail at about 37000 actuations. Having quoted what I understood to be their policy on warranty for the complete lens/camera after a repair. I was just told no. My understanding came from a statement by Stefan Daniel on that having been their policy for a long time. In my case my Lens had AF fail, which was supported by Leica Camera Australia with excellent service and a loaner while my lens was away. A couple of months after getting it back, the Central Shutter failed in mid shoot (about 42000 actuations). Leica Camera Australia again provided excellent service with pickup and a loaner here.....and from Wetzlar an expensive estimate for repair

Edited by hoppyman

Jaap The customer care manager has been contacted by Leica Camera Australia on my behalf asking for clarification on the warranty policy post repair. I wish I could find the interview with Stefan Daniel where I understood he said that post repair the complete item is guaranteed. It may have been at a Photokina interview with one of the US dealers I think?

Edited by hoppyman

I have five CS lenses (35, 45, 70, 120, 180), and One S lens (100/2). All purchased new at great expense. I paid to have a number of earlier S lenses upgraded to CS with Leica's upgrade program. All of them had the AF fail, some twice ... plus the 70mm central shutter also failed. These failures happened before the new AF motor was available. I just had an audit done, and all the lenses have the older AF motor except the 35mm (which was more recently replaced with a new lens because Leica lost the 35mm I had sent them for a second AF motor failure!)

So, I have five lenses I cannot trust that will cost me $2,000 to preemptively repair, not to mention shipping/insurance costs and untold lost time (again), while they are gone for God knows how long.

I started with a S2P that had a cracked sensor, failed LCD, and failed shutter button. Right now, I use a S(006) which is currently gone to have the corroded sensor replaced (Leica did provide a loaner), I cannot upgrade to a S(007) because it is sure to strip the AF gears of my lenses due to its more aggressive AF.

I have no bone to pick with anyone, or with Leica. All I ever wanted was to use this gear to make photographs for my clients. Some bumps in the road are to be expected with any system, but this has been a ridiculous journey. It is a bit of an insult to have to pay for a badly engineered AF motor that was doomed to failure on an industrial scale. Not IF but WHEN. In almost 45+ of photography, I've experienced the odd failure here and there, but never on this level from one system ... and certainly not from a system this expensive.    

• Like 5

I have five CS lenses (35, 45, 70, 120, 180), and One S lens (100/2). All purchased new at great expense. I paid to have a number of earlier S lenses upgraded to CS with Leica's upgrade program. All of them had the AF fail, some twice ... plus the 70mm central shutter also failed. These failures happened before the new AF motor was available. I just had an audit done, and all the lenses have the older AF motor except the 35mm (which was more recently replaced with a new lens because Leica lost the 35mm I had sent them for a second AF motor failure!)

So, I have five lenses I cannot trust that will cost me $2,000 to preemptively repair, not to mention shipping/insurance costs and untold lost time (again), while they are gone for God knows how long.

I started with a S2P that had a cracked sensor, failed LCD, and failed shutter button. Right now, I use a S(006) which is currently gone to have the corroded sensor replaced (Leica did provide a loaner), I cannot upgrade to a S(007) because it is sure to strip the AF gears of my lenses due to its more aggressive AF.

I have no bone to pick with anyone, or with Leica. All I ever wanted was to use this gear to make photographs for my clients. Some bumps in the road are to be expected with any system, but this has been a ridiculous journey. It is a bit of an insult to have to pay for a badly engineered AF motor that was doomed to failure on an industrial scale. Not IF but WHEN. In almost 45+ of photography, I've experienced the odd failure here and there, but never on this level from one system ... and certainly not from a system this expensive.    

Have you tried to obtain a quote for upgrading the AF system on your lenses? Have you asked your dealer about it? When the solution was provided and announced, I sent in 5 lenses (1 had already been repaired with new solution), and I was charged a very low amount for the upgrade.

Instead of complaining about what you think it would cost, I would  give your background exactly as above - a loyal S user heavily invested in the system, having been exposed to errors on all the lenses - and ask for a quote for an upgrade. I think there is a good chance you will be positively surprised.

Hello Marc,

I just saw your recent lament on the woes of Leica S ownership and as you have been quiet for a while it is good to know that you are still out there. My experience mirrors yours almost exactly and your post certainly reaffirms the old saw about misery loving company. What makes this even more disappointing from my perspective is that, all of these problems and others left unmentioned not withstanding, these cameras render truly beautiful images when they are working. 

It worries me that Leica seems to have put this system on the back burner and may in time abandon it altogether. At this point I feel trapped as the resale marketprices are absurd. Not wanting to own fragments of a system, I have approached a few dealers about a trade in proposal and none of them want to touch it ...who would have ever thought that Leica ownership would be so  disheartening ? 

Edited by Brewster

I get angry every time I read Marc’s S story (and similar tales). He shouldn’t need to spend a dime on AF repairs, nor should he have to ask favors. Each of his lenses has been half-assed repaired already, with the same old bad motors , some twice. Leica should have had a recall. At this point, the least they should do is fix them right.... for once. And pick up shipping and insurance. And either expedite service or provide loaners on all. No excuses.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 4

I get angry every time I read Marc’s S story (and similar tales). He shouldn’t need to spend a dime on AF repairs, nor should he have to ask favors. Each of his lenses has been half-assed repaired already, with the same old bad motors , some twice. Leica should have had a recall. At this point, the least they should do is fix them right.... for once. And pick up shipping and insurance. And either expedite service or provide loaners on all. No excuses.

Jeff

Again, instead of repeatedly swearing to the forum, which leads to nothing, try to get a quote from Leica.